Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Hargraves
United States
Danbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the rulebook (p.14) re: Overlapping Overwatch - I understand that both Marines would get a shot at a GS moving into their Overwatch fire arc.

What I don't get is that if the 1st Marine kills the GS, why is the 2nd Marine still required to fire?:

".... all space Marines must take their shot at the Genestealer, and you must roll for them all, even if the Genestealer has been killed by an overwatch shot from another Space Marine!"

Why would that be the case unless he was rolling to see if he hits his friend?

If this is true, another sentence along the lines of:

"This is because the 2nd Marine now has a chance of killing his own teammate due to both of their itchy trigger fingers!!"

... or somthing to that effect should have been added to make it clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Culp
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Think of it this way, the marines have itchy trigger fingers, they are on overwatch, ready to fire at any stealer that moves. A stealer dashes into the LOS of multiple marines and they cut loose, all of them firing at the stealer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Corn
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.
mbmbmbmbmb
redcometx wrote:
What I don't get is that if the 1st Marine kills the GS, why is the 2nd Marine still required to fire?

It's considered simultaneous fire, and the second Marine has a chance to jam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the idea that in Overwatch, the marine is tense, just waiting for anything to happen and FIRE!!! You know, panic mode. Like these guys aren't seasoned vets and fire and anything that moves

So, even if the stealer dies, both marines fire at it. Think of it as a simultaneous shot. They both fire at the same time. You also have to roll to see if he jams or not.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerard Heime
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Sure, there's risk of a jam, but getting your stealer in the crossfire is a near suicide and that's why setting two marines on OW (in a room or on two sides of an intersection) is a good idea. It would be too powerful if you could roll once for one OW marine, and roll for the other OW marine only if you miss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hargraves
United States
Danbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh ok - so the point of the 2nd Marine firing if the GS is already dead is strictly to see if he jams his gun - NOT that he is now (unintentionally) shooting at his friend when the GS dies to the 1st Marine's fire.

If it wasn't for the possibility of jamming, there would be no need to roll for the 2nd Marine.

Thanks for the clarification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's correct

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Collins
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it seems to me that it's a chance for a jam, because they are both required to fire.

What I don't get is why both guys are required to fire, but only one of them could take an actual CAP move. I mean, I *get it*, but I don't know if I agree with it. Does that make sense?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hal

Michigan
msg tools
mb
Haggis wrote:
redcometx wrote:
What I don't get is that if the 1st Marine kills the GS, why is the 2nd Marine still required to fire?

It's considered simultaneous fire, and the second Marine has a chance to jam.

It'd be more interesting if there WAS friendly fire. I mean, it's not like the marine hits his target (genestealer) every time. If there's a miss (i.e., no 6 is rolled), why not let the shot continue along it's trajectory until it hits something? I'd reroll the dice each time for each new target.(marine/genestealer).

I smell a new house rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian

Unspecified
Unspecified
msg tools
mbmb
In addition to the possibility of jamming, if one of the marines has the autocannon, he will waste ammo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"Boutique Stupidity"
United Kingdom
Scarborough
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally get what you are saying, the sentence does seem to have an open ending. We always played it in previous editions that you must still fire but only to check for a jam.

Stormbolters would strip the crap out of Genestealers but it would just ping off T.D.A. (excuse the word "ping" but I couldn't remember the correct spelling or richo-, richer-, rikoch-, that word). I suppose you would very occasionally get an eye hole or joint but it would be rare as hell. goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Owen
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ricochet.

I thought Storm Bolter bolts were rockets that explode once inside a target.

Has anyone tried using the Space Hulk 2E Overkill rule in Space Hulk 3E?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.