Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Collins
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Old World faced its most horrifc threat from the north yet. In winters past, it has been one or two powers of Chaos that have decended upon us at a terrible cost. This year the empire and the rest of the Old World played as a chessboard for the forces of Chaos to enact a horrible conflict agaisnt eachother. Though we were able to mobilize our peasants into malitia, and buttress our defenses, the attack was too strong. Khorne and his forces dominated the the other chaos powers and left a trail of destruction in his wake. the empire was scattered to the biting winds of winter. We count the days, huddled in secret masses, before Order can strike back, and take from the face of evil what is rightfully ours. For the Empire!

Ok, this was our first game of Chaos in the Old World and man was it a blast. I played Nurgle, Andre was Tzeench, Bill as Slanesh and Chris (the most amazing dice roller of all time) was the mighty Khorne. I'll get this out there straight away, Khorne won in the 4th round and wiped the table with all of our punched-in faces. It was a combination of his ridiculous dice rolling and the Old World conspiring agaisnt our efforts to dominate and spread corruption.

The first Old World card that came up placed a bunch of peasants on the board. we all went about our business, placing troops and everyone got a tic on the first turn. Then the next turn: peasant uprising! place more peasants and each peasant counts as one more towards a regions resistance. Well, there was no domination to be had. Being that it was our first game, we all basically deployed our cultists and ignored our troops; except for khorne, who was quickly spreading troops across the map. Well this lead to a problem, non of use were scoring points and it didnt occur to us to kill off the peasants to bring the defense values back down. We all did what we could to get dial tics as Khorne moved through the map and got tic after tic after tic. We didnt have the right cards to stop him and each Old world card that came up after peasant uprising was a discarded old world card that placed MORE heros and peasants! so we never got rid of the uprising at all! the last 2 turns, Khorne got 5 tics and 2 tics to absolutely slaughter us. we counted 5 failed battle rolls from Khorne (out of maybe 25-30) that he got over the duration of the game. None of us had a chance. I'm sure every game will be different but I am not sure how to stop khorne from getting all those dial tics.

*He places first, so do you just place as far away from him as you can?

or

*do you concentrate early game card plays to stop him from getting tics? He was incredibly powerful with the 1+ tic condition.

anyway, though the game istelf gave Nurgle, Slanesh and Tzeench a massive throttling, I had a great time playing the game and am so excited to get another round in. This game, I could see shooting up my top games list to land a firm second right between 1st Galaxy Trucker and Third Space Alert.

Wonderful game, not a battle game at all which was so neat and refreshing from games workshop, the alternate victories and different styles of play I am guessing will add tons of replay value.

Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Filthy Peasants pthed the way for Khornes dominating victory
well, the latest faq states that peasants do not count towards dial advancement for Khorne.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T L
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Filthy Peasants pthed the way for Khornes dominating victory
Glad to hear Khorne is winning somewhere. Tonight, our Khorne was always just a little behind the rest. We managed stop Khorne from advancing 2 ticks with other players gaining as many or more Dial Advancement Tokens. That is playing by Khorne 1+ kills in a region and not including peasant tokens as kills.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Collins
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
johncraven wrote:
well, the latest faq states that peasants do not count towards dial advancement for Khorne.

Yeah, khorne didnt kill the peasants... it just made it impossible for the rest of us to dominate, so Khorne was the only one scoring points really

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unicorniclops wrote:
... the last 2 turns, Khorne got 5 tics and 2 tics to absolutely slaughter us. .

I could be misunderstanding this, but if you're saying Khorne got 5 tics in one turn, then that's an error.

Rules page 21, column 2, under Advance Threat Dials: "In this step, every player who has one or more advancement counters on his dial advances his dial by one clockwise tick and carries out the instructions revealed. Additionally, the player with the most counters on his dial advances his dial by one additional tick, carrying out the instructions revealed. If two or more player are tied for the most counters, no player score an additional tick."

It's a max of two ticks per turn.
TK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yikes! Did I beat Dam to answer this? Score one for the old, slow guy!
TK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tkelly wrote:
Yikes! Did I beat Dam to answer this? Score one for the old, slow guy!
TK

Bastard !

I'm still on the fence about CitOW. No solid 2-player variant that I've seen has put a cap on my enthusiasm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Collins
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not one tic per counter?... OOPS!

Man I hate doing that. No wonder it was so damn fast!HAHAH blushshake

sigh.... ok, next session report

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's hard to tell from your post but, were you also playing that Khorne has to kill 2 or more enemy figures in a region to get a counter?

If you were racking up fvie counters, that means you were killing 10 enemy troops in a turn, spred evenly accross 5 regions.

(The rule book sets the advance condition for Khorne and Slaanesh at 2 per region. The player sheets fail to reflect the rule change)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Collins
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
we played khorne only needed one kill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Rulesjd wrote:
It's hard to tell from your post but, were you also playing that Khorne has to kill 2 or more enemy figures in a region to get a counter?

If you were racking up fvie counters, that means you were killing 10 enemy troops in a turn, spred evenly accross 5 regions.

(The rule book sets the advance condition for Khorne and Slaanesh at 2 per region. The player sheets fail to reflect the rule change)

The Khorne card is correct. You only need to kill 1 figure in one region to get a dial advancement token. The latest FAQ confirms the card is correct and the exampel in teh rules is incorrect.

To Tim:
All of the tokens you collect only guarantee you 1 tick on the dial. If you also have the most, then you get a bonus tick. So any player with at least one token gets 1 advancement. Only one player might get a second advancement per turn. And of course, no tokens, means no advancement at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(The rule book sets the advance condition for Khorne and Slaanesh at 2 per region. The player sheets fail to reflect the rule change)[/q]
The Khorne card is correct. You only need to kill 1 figure in one region to get a dial advancement token. The latest FAQ confirms the card is correct and the exampel in teh rules is incorrect.

How many times are they going to waffle on this new game? Sheesh! You'd think this type of issue would have been play tested out before the first print run.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
There is no waffling on this. There was a misprint on the card. FFG got mixed signals internally before they got it straightened out and directly from the designer.

It has nothing (or very very little) to do with playtesting and everything to do with editing. Playtesters don't proof the final components. Playtesters flushed out the problem of the original design (allegedly) that was what was captured in the rulebook. If anything, this "error" highlights the need for playtesting and what it does.

It also highlights the importance of a throrough editor and that there is room for improvement in that department.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.