Subject: WHY can't you trade Tech? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Li
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is there a game balance reason that player's can't trade or sell tech? It seems like it could be an added element in the game, and would allow more technologically advanced players to better leverage their position.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calavera Despierta
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mb
It's been a while since the game has hit the table but I seem to recall that the race that specialized in tech dev (Universities of Jolnar or something like that) actually had a fairly significant advantage, at least in the games we played. In other words, I am not sure the techie races need an edge.

But why not write up an actually variant and give it a shot? Worse case scenario you've blown a Saturday afternoon having a good time at the attempt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Walsh
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hoc Spatium Mercede
badge
This is another fine mess you've gotten us into.
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a variant game being played on the TI3 wiki (www.ti3wiki.org) based on an adaptation of Master of Orion 2. They are using tech trading and it seems to be working just fine. If you're interested take a look at the thread for "Galactic New Network" in the PBEM section at TI3 wiki. All the variant rules are listed on the first few pages of the thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin jung
United States
Palatine
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All races have the same Tech in thier deck. You cant trade because they must buy tech within the tech tree. You do not need to trade tech as you have it in your deck, just trade to get enough resoures to buy the tech that you want to trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alwaysjung wrote:
All races have the same Tech in thier deck. You cant trade because they must buy tech within the tech tree. You do not need to trade tech as you have it in your deck, just trade to get enough resoures to buy the tech that you want to trade.

But you'd also have to use logistics points to take the respective action, AND couldn't buy any other tech this turn, not that I disagree that this is the way to trade techs, it's just that it has more drawbacks than 'I'll give you my 5 techs now if you give me yours'.

I guess the reason tech trading isn't possible is because it would potentially make acquiring techs too easy, think about a single empire using superior military forces to crush one of its neighbors, with tech trading, the other players could turn the tide of that war by just handing him the techs he needs.

Also, techs are a common victory condition, trading VPs sounds a little too kingmakey to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Li
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Thanks guys, I'll give it a try!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Short
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The late-game techs in this game are extremely powerful and swingy (light-wave deflector, advanced fighters,...). They can be that strong because you don't get too much time to abuse them. If you allowed tech trading, then the super-techs could come on line easily in the midgame, which could lead to degenerate gameplay scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.