United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
Wow you hovered. I'm honored.
badge
My Dog Has Fleas
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just googling to find a copy for a friend and found this place accepting preorders and they say "Returning in October, 2009 - Preorder yours Today!"

http://www.boardgames4us.com/avh-95039.html

Anybody hear of this yet?

Edit - just found another site mentioning October 30th

http://www.clevershoppers.com/games-11/board-225/robo-rally-...

Edit 2 - and this Italian game store has it in their "Back in Stock" section

http://giochinscatola.it/catalog/product_info.php?products_i...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Atkinson
United States
Grant
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Reprint coming in October?
That's the first I've heard. I fired off some emails to the stores asking them what's up. I looked at emailing WotC, but you have to create an account just to send an email.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank heavens!! I played this game sometime in the last year and really enjoyed it (I'm a programmer and I think this game appeals to us). But I was SADLY disappointed at the unavailability of it. I actually did a bunch of hunting around the web a few weeks ago but to no avail. I even looked up every person on the geek who had it listed for trade and started messaging people in Canada about it. If this gets reprinted, I'm in for sure! Thanks for pointing this out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
Wow you hovered. I'm honored.
badge
My Dog Has Fleas
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually you'll hate me - in searching for the reprint I found a place that had one in stock for $35 that my friend just ordered. I found a few others at full normal retail price too - the trick I discovered was searching on the UPC code instead of the name and it came up with several obscure stores selling them

UPC: 653569066811

Here are some stores that look like they have it:

(this one has it for $39 so thats not too bad)
http://www.selloffdeals.com/338895/13273655.html

http://www.wirelesshut.com/316922/10449410.html

http://www.annasbiblegames.com/store-products-653569066811-R...

http://www.familygametime.com/product/653569066811

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calavera Despierta
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mb
jrebelo wrote:
Thank heavens!! I played this game sometime in the last year and really enjoyed it (I'm a programmer and I think this game appeals to us). But I was SADLY disappointed at the unavailability of it. I actually did a bunch of hunting around the web a few weeks ago but to no avail. I even looked up every person on the geek who had it listed for trade and started messaging people in Canada about it. If this gets reprinted, I'm in for sure! Thanks for pointing this out.

Space Alert will scratch that itch, and it's in print.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wagner
United States
Wood River
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MScrivner wrote:
jrebelo wrote:

Roborally is a much better game than Space Alert. Easier to learn and can be played with more of a variety of players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Holden
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are RoboRally and Space Alert even similar enough to be compared? I'm under the impression that the answer is no, but correct me if I'm wrong because I've played neither (although I'm scheduled to play both at a game gathering end of this month).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MScrivner wrote:
jrebelo wrote:

Love RoboRally - own every set except the Amigo version. It is a competition between me and the board and attempting to anticipate my opponent's moves.

I dislike Space Alert and feel it is a chaotic mess of a game. My 'programs' need to be coordinated with other players and I've yet to be in a game where that happened.

I have played Space Alert three times now and admit that my dislike of the game probably boils down to poor explanations by horrible captains who didn't give a single order once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
There are loads of copies available across a number of online retailers based in the UK if you're really desperate. Many of them will ship to the US.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Holder
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got my copy from boardsandbits.com a couple months ago. They still have copies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hackel
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MScrivner wrote:
jrebelo wrote:

So will RAMbots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wagner
United States
Wood River
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
l10n0fjudah wrote:
Are RoboRally and Space Alert even similar enough to be compared? I'm under the impression that the answer is no, but correct me if I'm wrong because I've played neither (although I'm scheduled to play both at a game gathering end of this month).

The only thing that is similar in both games is that you are programming moves, 5 or 6 at one time in Roborally, and 3 at a time for Space Alert.

From there, they are 2 different games. Space Alert has a bunch of real time stuff happening while you are setting up your turn, while Roborally has nothing else going on.

You have many more options in Roborally, although your goals are clearly marked. Space Alert, you have to be paying attention to find out the goals and it can get confusing some times.

Plus, the big difference, Roborally is completely competitive and Space Alert is a cooperative game.

Roborally's boards make the game have a lot of variety. Space Alert's different missions give it a lot of variety also, but the board never changes.

I was very disappointed with Space Alert and Roborally is one of my favorite games. However, I see the innovation of Space Alert and think it's a really good idea for a game. I still expect to play it again one day.

I can tell you that the rulebook is horrible for Space Alert and definitely not the way to learn the game. Roborally is a much easier game to start playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
RR and Space Alert are totally different games and it's totally irrelevant to this thread in the first place. I am greatly anticipating picking up RR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stokes
United States
Chatham
Illinois
flag msg tools
BoardGameGeek
badge
BoardGameGeek
mbmbmbmbmb
I have all of the older RoboRally stuff. However, I would jump at the chance to get the new RR at a good price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Springer
United States
Brooklyn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I didn't even realize RR was out of print again. Never could figure out why WotC let it stay OOP for so long, given the demand!

I have the newer version just for completeness (and because B&N had it at half off), but (with the exception off the sand timer, which is a definite improvement) the old rules are better.

Reminds me I need to get this on the table again now that I finally have all the expansions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Posey
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I have the newer version just for completeness (and because B&N had it at half off), but (with the exception off the sand timer, which is a definite improvement) the old rules are better.

Wait, how are the old rules better? I thought the only difference between them was the lack of crushers in the new game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Knight Games
United Kingdom
Cheltenham
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
elgin_j wrote:
There are loads of copies available across a number of online retailers based in the UK if you're really desperate. Many of them will ship to the US.

It does seem to be more widely available in the UK, but there are still a couple of US stores listing it. have a look here: http://www.boardgameprices.com/game.aspx?id=105653

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wagner
United States
Wood River
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mst3k4L wrote:
Quote:

Wait, how are the old rules better? I thought the only difference between them was the lack of crushers in the new game.

I own the older version and have read the new rules a while back and my rememberance of that was that the only thing worse keeping from the newer rules is the no virtual bots rule. Virtual bots was a good idea that just takes way too much time to resolve.

If you need a sand timer, I'm sure you can buy one pretty cheap. Or if you have a iphone or palm you can put a timer on them (I have one on my palm.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Posey
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
True, I forgot about the whole virtual bots thing. I had considered that more setup than rules, but I guess it does apply to both. Anything else different?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mil Myman
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
mst3k4L wrote:
True, I forgot about the whole virtual bots thing. I had considered that more setup than rules, but I guess it does apply to both. Anything else different?

There are numerous threads here discussing the differences in rules.

Here's a summary:

1) The biggest difference is the No Virtual Robot and the Starting Board. IMO, a change for the worse: unfair starting position, makes the game take longer and be more difficult because you're being pushed/damaged from the first turn.
2) A few option changes. Two are replaced. Superior Archive Copy is nerfed. Mechanical Arm has been made into a near autmatic win. Another change for the worse.
3) Wrench-Hammer spaces, instead of Double Wrenches. Nothing wrong with this change, neither better or worse. (Though thematically it makes no sense, since you don't assemble/repair/upgrade robots with a hammer, especially not a claw hammer. Robots are made of metal, not wood.)
4) Cards discarded when you shut down. Less elegant, but doesn't make the game worse.
5) The use of the timer is not necessarily a "rule" but it's an option. IME, it does not speed up the game at all. It has one or both of these effects: (a) Less programming time means more errors means it takes longer to finish. (b) Those with bad cards or in bad positions have an even harder time, thus increasing the leader breakaway problem. Fall behind and never catch up, or get ahead and win easily. Not an improvement to the game, IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil Fleischmann wrote:
1) The biggest difference is the No Virtual Robot and the Starting Board. IMO, a change for the worse: unfair starting position, makes the game take longer and be more difficult because you're being pushed/damaged from the first turn.

If you are concerned with unfairness, do not play this game. On each turn you will get random cards. Either you will get the cards you want or you won't but either way it is all terribly unfair.

What is especially unfair is when some robots remain virtual while others do not, usually due to the luck of the card draw.

Phil Fleischmann wrote:
(Though thematically it makes no sense, since you don't assemble/repair/upgrade robots with a hammer, especially not a claw hammer. Robots are made of metal, not wood.)

Theme? You care about theme? Richard Garfield hated when Wizards added the virtual robots to the game, because they broke the theme. It's far more plausible that you would use a claw hammer while repairing a robot, than robots having the magic power to walk through each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
Canada
Kinda SW of Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jrebelo wrote:

boardgames.ca has 4 copies in stock as I type this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
first last
msg tools
Is this another reprint different from the one that came out in 2005?

Or is this just the same 2005 reprint that got out of stock?

Is this a 2009 reprint?

Is there any difference between this one and the 2005 reprint by Avalon Hill? or is this the EXACT SAME thing?

Thanks for any info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
first last
msg tools
So by the lack of reply, I am guessing we will only find out on October if this is indeed a new reprint different from the 2005 reprint? correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Lopuszanski
United States
Windham
Connecticut
flag msg tools
So hear me roar! RAWR! (Or ask me about it)
badge
Her Serenity, The Lady of Pain.
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
MScrivner wrote:
jrebelo wrote:

Love RoboRally - own every set except the Amigo version. It is a competition between me and the board and attempting to anticipate my opponent's moves.

I dislike Space Alert and feel it is a chaotic mess of a game. My 'programs' need to be coordinated with other players and I've yet to be in a game where that happened.

I have played Space Alert three times now and admit that my dislike of the game probably boils down to poor explanations by horrible captains who didn't give a single order once.

I much prefer Space Alert to RoboRally. Space Alert is a COOPERATIVE TEAM BUILDING GAME, so you can play it again and again and really build your teamwork skills. RoboRally, not so much.

It is hard to compare them, but I find Space Alert with good players who listen to be much more enjoyable. Of course if you're playing Space Alert with someone who doesn't talk or coordinate their actions it is far worse... so I guess it depends on your group and if you're looking for a co-op game or a competitive one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.