Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ronster Zero
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have owned this game for over a year now and have yet to get it played. It was one of those grail games that I had sought after for over a year. I obtained a copy in a math trade and decided that I was finally ready for some Civil War action.

We played the first battle in the scenario booklet called First Bull Run. It looked like a straight up fight with the Rebels holding the bottom of the board with a nice set of hills on their side in the center.

The game stated off fairly slow as each side tried to deal with the one space move rule for the infantry. We both spend the first few turns sort of "positioning" our army for the best attack and trying to get our artillery on hills.

The opening battle started with the Confederates moving up on the left flank with their Calvary. They made a bold dash for the only trees that covered this side. Meanwhile, they also moved up their infantry to the ridge line in the center of the map and awaited the Federal troops to come into firing range.

The Union, not having great cards, moved to meet the threat on this left flank. They managed to get their artillery on the nearby hill and start shelling while moving up their own Calvary.

While locked in close combat on the left, the Confederates shifted the attack to their right flank with their two infantry units. It was a long way to go, but the cards were in alignment.

The Union, not wanting to battle it out in the center, held back their units and did their best to stay away from the Confederate artillery which had taken up residence on the ridge line as well.

General Stuart from the Confederates, led the charge on the left flank attacking the Union artillery and Calvary. It was a good attack, but they lacked combat experience and were only able to wound the units. The Union attacked back and soon the the Confederates Calvary were destroyed and Stuart was eventually killed.

With this defeat, the Confederates launched an attack on the right side. This fared better, with support from the artillery on the hill and they manged to inflict losses on the union infantry. But the union seemed to have the right cards and attacked back. Soon the right flank fell for the South also. The score was 4 to 2 at this time.

Finally, with the battle slipping away the Confederates made a last ditch attack with their Leader Jackson in the center with the help of the All out Offensive card.
Their was a great yell from the line as they lunged forward and attacked all along the line, but the battle gods were not with them and they did little real damage, killing only one unit. A strong counter attacked sealed the fate for the Confederates and it ended the game with a loss for the South 6 -3.

Player note: I have played tons of Memoir 44 and some Battlore and C&C ancients. I must say that I like this system. Sure, it's a bit more basic, but I think the CDW works well for this time frame. I will play some more games and give it a final rating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NICE report on your first game!! I enjoyed reading it! I also enjoy playing this game even though it has been a while now since I played it.

NOTE: I see this misprinted all the time and I mean this in a nice way

Calvary = Calvary or Golgotha are the English language/Western Christian names given to the site, outside of ancient Jerusalem’s early 1st century walls, ascribed to the crucifixion of Jesus. (Wikipedia)

Cavalry = Horse soldiers

I see this all the time and even my wife mixes it up and yes... I correct her too

Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronster Zero
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks James, I appreciate the correction. It did not look quite right when I wrote it but spell check ok'ed it. Next report i'll correct it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Don't hang around, 'cause two's a crowd on my cloud, baby.
badge
If I were to hang my head, I'd miss all the rainbows. And I'd drown in raindrops instead.
mbmbmbmbmb
ronster0 wrote:

Player note: I have played tons of Memoir 44 and some Battlore and C&C ancients. I must say that I like this system. Sure, it's a bit more basic, but I think the CDW works well for this time frame. I will play some more games and give it a final rating.

If you find you like the more "advanced" rules in the other games, you might want to give these advanced Battle Cry rules a try.

I've downloaded them but haven't tried them myself yet. I hear they're very good--that they bring BC up in line with other C&C games (none of which I've tried myself).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ronster0 wrote:
Thanks James, I appreciate the correction. It did not look quite right when I wrote it but spell check ok'ed it. Next report i'll correct it.

Your welcome! Technically, you DID spell Calvary right, just the wrong word.

Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.