Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(My first favorite being 17.1, Hidden Units.)

We tried 17.2, Bidding for the Initiative, for the first time tonight, and I really liked it. (Actually, we started using it midway through the game, because as the German player, it seemed like I was able to make some suspicious moves based on knowing I'd get to go first. Like, with his last Offensive of the turn, the Entente player had broken through in a bad spot in my line, adjacent to three unoccupied spaces I controlled. Knowing I was going to get to go first, and would be able to attack that space before he could exploit the breakthrough, meant I knew I could leave those three spaces empty during buildup.)

The first turn where we used it, it was really important that I go first, so I bid four cards even though only three of the five I'd drawn were Offensives. (And I wound up only being able to play two of them, so that was -2 VP...)

(Speaking of which, we took "a 1 Victory Point penalty per occurrence" to mean 1 VP per card you fell short, not 1 VP per turn. With the latter, you might as well bid a million billion Offensives, ha ha.)

Anyway, we really liked the effect on the game; we felt it was a simple rule which added a lot of angst and uncertainty-about-something-which-should-be-uncertain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.