Popular Tags: [View All]
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These days I tend to sleeve the cards in my games. Especially if the cards are somewhat flimsy or seem to wear out faster than normal. The RAF cards are a good example.

A friend of mine who was able to get his RAF game before me had mentioned that after playing the game only once, his cards started to show signs of wear as if he had played several games. Jokingly I responded, "Are you letting the dog shuffle again?"

To make a long story short, I was able to find some card sleeve that fit the RAF cards very nicely. Not only do the sleeves protect the cards from quick wear, but also they give the cards a little bit more.

The picture below shows sleeved RAF cards. Because the sleeves are crystal clear, I used utilize offset lighting to help show the sleeves better.

Below is a picture of how the cards stack up

These sleeves were designed by and gamer and produced in a limited number here in Thailand. But I'm told that new card sleeves of different sizes are being made all the time. In fact, didn't FFG release there own line of card sleeves? So look around and see what you can find to sleeve your RAF cards. It will definitely extend the life of the cards!

Now, back to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Caligari
United States
King of Prussia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very kewl sleeves! I wish I could get them here in the USA.

Any thoughts as to the what next best choice would be? I just got my RAF: The Battle of Britain 1940 game not too long ago, would like to sleeve soon. I measured the cards to be 2 1/4 by 3 1/2 inches, (or about 57 x 89 mm).

Thanks in advance for any replies!!

- as
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
andre_sand wrote:
I measured the cards to be 2 1/4 by 3 1/2 inches, (or about 57 x 89 mm).

That is a very standard American card size. Lots of sleeves made to fit that size available in the US.

Edit
They might be listed as sized for Magic the Gathering type sleeves. You don't want the smaller (Yu-Gi-Oh) sized sleeves)

As noted below, the Magic sized cards are long enough, but likely to be too wide. (2 1/2 instead of 2 1/4 required here.) The various Euro sized sleeves now being sold seem to be the best size - and the ones I plan to use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While my RAF squadrons take a break, I'll check what commercially available sleeves I have. I just happen to have lots of Magic and Yu-Gi-Oh sleeves. I keep a pretty good collection of card sleeves at hand. This all started a long time ago when I noticed that some of the more flimsy cards in my games were starting to wear out after countless number of games. So now I try to sleeve my game cards when I can. This has certainly made a big difference in the longevity of the cards.

In the recent past, the two most common commercially available card sleeve sizes were the Magic (or standard) sleeves and Yu-Gi-Oh sleeves.

Sleeves sized for Magic the Gathering, which measure 66mm x 92.5mm, are way to big. But some protection is better than none at all I guess.

Sleeves sized for Yu-Gi-Oh, which measure 62mm x 88.7mm, work better, but about 1mm of youre RAF card protrudes from the top of the sleeve. But some protection is better than none at all I guess.

More commercially produced card sleeves are being made available every month it seems. As I mentioned before, companies are starting to expand on this market and you will soon see more and more card sleeves being manufactured. For instance, FFG has introduced their new line of card sleeves.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm...

Their "Standard European" (purple code) card sleeves might be a good choice.

RAF cards measure 57mm x 89mm. The card sleeves I use measures 59mm x 91mm - which is just about perfect for RAF: The Battle of Britain 1940 cards, Up Front cards, Tide of Iron cards, and a few other games.

Incidentally the sleeves I use are the #2 Card Sleeve. There are seven sizes currently available plus two special sizes - while supplies last. PM me if you happen to visit Thailand and I'll make sure you get enough sleeves for your RAF game.

Remember, when it comes to card sleeves, the width of the sleeve is more critical than the length of the sleeve, because if the sleeve happens to be to long, you can always trim it.

Hope this helps. Happy gaming
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Caligari
United States
King of Prussia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RayT: Thanks for the excellent info! I will be on the lookout for sleeves. I agree, the FFG Standard European size looks just right at 59x92 mm. I'll let you know how they turn out.

Quote:
if you happen to visit Thailand...

Actually, I've always wanted to see Thailand. Unfortunately, it is not in the cards right now (pun intended ). Thanks for the offer!

- as

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roman J
United Kingdom
Thurso
Caithness
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I use FFG Standard European size card sleeves, and they fit perfect. I really recomend them, strong and durable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Flood
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The FFG ones probably work better than the Mayday Euro sized protectors. I had a bunch of Mayday sleeves laying around so that's what I used, but they aren't an exact fit and are a little larger than the card. It isn't too awful but Mayday Euro sleeves are 59mm x 92mm, 1mm larger on the top side. Again, since I had them already, and I am the only one playing the game, it works fine, but if you are purchasing new, I'd probably check out the FFG ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ebert
United States
North Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
Solo Gamers are NOT lonely!
badge
Together We Game Alone (1 Player Guild)
mbmbmbmbmb
I just sleeved RAF with Mayday Chimera sleeves (57.5 x 89 mm) and they work perfectly with no extra "wiggle" room nor the tight fit that would slightly bend them.

http://maydaygames.com/gaming-accessories/card-sleeve/standa...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ffg standard american fit perfectly as well, with a 1/8th inch to spare on top.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.