Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
I was curious, if I am allowed to venture into these halls with a small poll and questionnaire.

My wife, her favorite game is Commands and Colors: Ancients, which is a hex and figure wargame, or a war game light. She also enjoys Battlelore, and the Memoir '44 series. We also enjoy Nexus Ops with the parents and some of the Risk series (Godstorm, Star Wars Original Trilogy etc).

May I inquire as to which other ladies on this forum enjoy wargames (whether they be light or monster)?

Poll
1. Do you play wargames?
Yes
No
2. If so what kind of wargames do you enjoy (please specify in a post as to their actual titles)
Light (Battlelore, Memoir '44, Nexus Ops, Risk Series etc)
Monster (SPI etc)
Both
      100 answers
Poll created by Luftwaffe Flak

The reason I ask is there always seems to be a discrepancy between women and wargames, most posters who are male say their wives do not enjoy such games and prefer Euros, some cannot get their wives to play period. I was curious what the margin here in the Women and Gaming forum actually is. I myself dont have anything to do with Monster Wargames, the time to learn/play is of no appeal to me, some people love that aspect though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suzie Dumont
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My favorites are :
- C&C Ancients
- Twilight Struggle
- Memoir '44
- Shogun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Suzie sounds like your a woman after my wifes own heart .

Another thing I forgot to add was that in my experience, all the women in my life like wargames light, my Mom plays the same as my wife with even delving into the harder realm of War of the Ring (her self proclaimed favorite game). And my sister in law enjoys the Memoir series (just introduced her) next time she is up we will try Battlelore and then Commands and Colors Ancients.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Чебурашка, ты настоящий друг!
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
Scheiß Inselaffen!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the poll's terminology might be a little misleading: for me a monster wargame is one with lots of pieces (probably around 1,000 counters or more) and possibly a large (two-map) board; it is often, but not always, quite complex. There's a whole range of games in-between this extreme and Memoir 44 and its like; indeed the majority fall in this category.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin Leonhard
United States
Aldie
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just haven't yet played a monster wargame; they're right up my alley and I anticipate loving the experience one day. At cons, I'd rather devote that time to playing longer games (Die Macher, 18xx, Descent) that I know I'll enjoy and socializing with friends; at home it's just a matter of schedules aligning.

All of the lighter wargames I've played have been highly enjoyable. One day I'll graduate up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Salo sila wrote:
I think the poll's terminology might be a little misleading: for me a monster wargame is one with lots of pieces (probably around 1,000 counters or more) and possibly a large (two-map) board; it is often, but not always, quite complex. There's a whole range of games in-between this extreme and Memoir 44 and its like; indeed the majority fall in this category.

For simplicitys sake, I put wargames light as games that would not be considered a 'grognard' game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to ask a question before I can answer you poll.

Are you asking for preferences/willingness to play or actual playing of the games?

I played Risk growing up and have no problem with playing war games in theory. Command and Colors, Memoir '44 and some others are on my want to play someday "wish list".

However in general Wings of War (Totally AWESOME game FYI) is as close as my regular gaming group gets to playing war games in general.

As for Monster Games... again I would probably give them a try if I had a chance, but I have a hard time getting to play long Euros. We have to arrange special gaming days to play games like Die Macher or Descent since those are too long for regular game nights. Rarely can I attend these almost all day events.

So if what you looking to discover is interest/willingness to play wargames my answers would be yes and maybe to the monster games.

If what you asking is do I actually play wargames the answer is rarely on the light ones, no on the monster ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Maple Ridge
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand why you chose such extremes for your poll: Risk, monster wargames, or both???

Most people don't even know what a monster wargame is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Maple Ridge
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chuji wrote:
My favorites are :
- C&C Ancients
- Twilight Struggle
- Memoir '44
- Shogun

See, Twilight Struggle isn't anywhere near as simple as Risk or M'44, but is nowhere near as complex or time-consuming monster wargame...

And I'll bet a lot of women on BGG have played TS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hungadunga wrote:
chuji wrote:
My favorites are :
- C&C Ancients
- Twilight Struggle
- Memoir '44
- Shogun

See, Twilight Struggle isn't anywhere near as simple as Risk or M'44, but is nowhere near as complex or time-consuming monster wargame...

And I'll bet a lot of women on BGG have played TS.

Just making it easy for myself, its just the way I was curious if they did or did not. Thats just the way I classified them for my own curiosity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Hungadunga wrote:
I don't understand why you chose such extremes for your poll: Risk, monster wargames, or both???

What is Risk?

Is that like War in Europe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Maple Ridge
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:
q]Just making it easy for myself, its just the way I was curious if they did or did not. Thats just the way I classified them for my own curiosity.

That's cool. It's just you've left this big gaping whole in the middle.

Reminds me of the Matthew Looney books I read when I was a kid. The moon people want to explore earth to see if it has any life. The government sends spacecraft to the Arctic and the Antarctic and conclude there is no life there. But the crazy professor says, "Don't they understand? The life must be vere everythink is plue und gggreen".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marja Erwin
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I definitely enjoy wargames. I like some light ones like *A House Divided* and a few monster games like *Scorched Earth* or *Tunisia* but mostly prefer reasonably detailed games between folio size and mini-monster size.

e.g. many SPI quads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Grey
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had great success introducing my girlfriend to World in War: Combined Arms (4 plays in 2 weeks) and Conquest of the Empire II (2 plays in the last month).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vicki Scheele
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My family consist of myself, husband and two sons. It has been our odd but happy tradition on Christmas morning to play Risk. It has been our tradition since the 80s.

We've discovered other war games in the last few years and enjoy Conquest of the Empire, Nexus Ops, and am thrilled to be learning Twilight Struggle. I hope to have a chance to learn and play more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakob Schneider
Germany
Brühl
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would anyone please please ban this pimp?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
Your wish etc etc

(Edit for context: A spammer posted 2 messages up. The previous message was asking for the spammer - and not any genuine poster on this thread - to be banned.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenny Nguyen
Australia
Bungarribee
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play wargames. I play both light, medium and heavy wargames but will only read the rules for light and medium ones ;p. I fall asleep trying to read folders worth of rules. I definitely think that GMT has made wargaming much more accessible for all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Wizard's Quest is for women of all ages!

Unfortunately, none of them are on the Geek, so I have to speak for them...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Hinsley
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My "gateway game" was Advanced Squad Leader and I can thank it for my now 4 days a week I spend gaming. I also really enjoy The Napoleonic Wars, Maria, Successors (third edition), Britannia and more just off the top of my head. My problem is that I can rarely find people that want to wargame where I live.

Specifically to your poll I lean more towards the heavy side of wargames though I enjoy some light here and there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Wright
United States
El Dorado
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wilhammer wrote:
Hungadunga wrote:

What is Risk?

Is that like War in Europe?

More like World in Flames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Jensen
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
badge
I was going to buy OverText but I didn't know what to say with it!
mbmbmbmbmb
My first wargame was Totaler Krieg! back in 2000. Since then, I have played from the quick/light games to the multi-map multi-day ones. I don't have a preference in game size, but have found that the games with the more streamline rules (few exceptions and/or good player aids) are the ones I go back to. So my current playlist would look like:

Combat Commander
Fighting Formations
FAB: The Bulge
D-Day at Omaha Beach
Red Star Rising: The War in Russia, 1941-1944
Paths of Glory
Manoeuvre
A Victory Lost
Totensonntag

And I'm waiting for the updated Totaler Krieg/Dai Senso release. I also want to learn Empire of the Sun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samantha RD
South Africa
Harrismith
Free State
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I must say, I didn't think I would enjoy war-games, light or otherwise, until I relented and gave a couple of commands and colors titles a try.

Two of my new favourite games are now Commands and Colors: Ancients and (very surprisingly for me!) Napoleonics.

I have yet to give any 'heavier' wargames a try and it will most likely be a while before I do, but I'm very glad I tried these two - Turns out I find these sort of games very enjoyable
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
Extreme wargamer since I was a child!

My favorite wargames are Firepower and Tokyo Express, but I own hundreds more. I used to run Firepower at Avaloncon. I was editor of the Strategist for a short time before I wrecked a motorcycle and couldn't type (or do much of anything) for a while so I resigned the position. I have written many wargame variants and expansions and had several of them published. And I have playtested/copyedited/whatever games for several game companies including Sierra Madre, 3W, Victory Point.

Lately, I have been playing Hornet Leader CAO, Storm Over Arnhem, and Across 5 Aprils, and and reading over the rules for Fields of Fire.

Judy Krauss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Talon Amores
United States
West Warwick
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Surprisingly enough, when I lived back in Austin quite a number of my girl friends (note the space) loved playing Risk, Axis and Allies, and Memoir '44. In particular, my good friend Leah would whoop my sorry butt in Europe Engulfed. Distance isn't an issue; she still defeats me hardcore in EE, but now it's a virtual whooping instead of face-to-face whooping :(

Family-wise, I've found my mom, of all people, loves playing M'44! My sister is also extremely competitive in Risk (and got my brother-in-law into it as well, heh). I think the four of us might upgrade to Axis and Allies (Spring 1942 of course).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.