Anson Wooten
United States
Springboro
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Art by: Aaron Wooten www.aaronrwooten.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Arkham Horror (AH) once with a friend of mine. I enjoyed the game, but it's a little to long my normal game group (my wife and other family members), and I don't think the theme would work for them either.

Are there any games that are similar to AH but have a different theme?

By similar to AH I mean:
d10-1 Has character sheets with different levels and abilities.
d10-2 Characters collect items as the game progresses.
d10-3 All players are playing against the game system (co-op)

I've played some other cooperative games that are close to what I'm looking for, but just don't quite fit the bill:
d10-1 Pandemic
d10-2 Shadows over Camelot
d10-3 Red November

Really what I'm looking for is something as imersive and thematic as AH, but with a shorter playing time and a different (wife friendly) theme.

Any Ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toby Otero
United States
Monroe
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first game that comes to mind is:
A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game
Not too sure if the theme is any more "wife-friendly" but it meets most of your other points. Worth checking out at the very least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
When Darkness Comes might be worth a look. Board game with a rpg style set into it. The downside is that you would need a game master to run the session while the rest of the players work co-op. Quite a few expansions and very horror themed. I hope this helps and you find the right game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
AaAaAaAaAaAaA! Oh no! You shanked my Jenga ship!
badge
"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them!"
mbmbmbmbmb
You also might want to look at Witch of Salem. It has a very similar theme and meets most of the criteria you mentioned. Be warned that it has a reputation for being punishingly difficult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anson Wooten
United States
Springboro
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the ideas, I'll look into those.

But, at first glance, they don't seem to have the right theme either. Anything with evil or monsters or dragons probably won't work.

I guess I'm looking for something like an Indiana Jones type theme. A group of adventures looking for some sort of treasure while fighting the bad guys (not supernatural\gruesome bad guys) and defusing traps and enduring the elements. I'm not sure if something like this even exists, but I figured it was worth asking.

Any other ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Boulo
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some good suggestion already

Let me second A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game which is a simpler & shorter version of AH.

There is also Middle-Earth Quest. I haven't played it myself but some here describe it as AH in Middle Earth.

I would also consider Talisman (Revised 4th Edition). Hey, you have a caracter that grows during the game & runs around the board looking for object & clues (well, a Talisman), fighting monsters & players all the way to the end.

Finally, there is also Runebound (Second Edition). I personally don't like this one, feels to much like multiplayer solitaire, but a lot of people disagree with me & it comes in a lot of different flavors.

Happy Gaming

Nick 'The Prophet'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The new game The Adventurers: The Temple of Chac is basically Indiana Jones the board game, but it is not co-op.

You may like Space Alert, it is immersive in that the challenges are revealed in real-time by an audio CD. That also limits the play time to the length of the track.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Lloyd
United States
North Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tobyo104 wrote:
Not too sure if the theme is any more "wife-friendly" but it meets most of your other points. Worth checking out at the very least.

I'll echo the sentiment here. ATOE is the game that leaped to my mind upon seeing your request. It's been called "Arkham Horror Lite" by others, and that's really a fairly accurate description. It has a similar feel, and is a really good game in its own right. For me, it has the feel of being in Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow movie (which I love). Even better, the game can be played as co-op, competitive, or a hybrid where you have teams. I really like that the villagers can be good or evil, and that part of the game is finding out who you can trust. The base game comes with four villains and several characters. More are available via expansions.

You should check it out. The rules are online at: http://www.flyingfrog.net/atouchofevil/pdf%5CATOE_Rulebook_W...

Edit:
OSUnut wrote:
... Anything with evil or monsters or dragons probably won't work...

Hadn't updated my browser apparently. With those additional restrictions, nothing suitable comes to mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OSUnut wrote:
Anything with evil or monsters or dragons probably won't work.

I guess I'm looking for something like an Indiana Jones type theme. A group of adventures looking for some sort of treasure while fighting the bad guys (not supernatural\gruesome bad guys) and defusing traps and enduring the elements. I'm not sure if something like this even exists, but I figured it was worth asking.

Any other ideas?

So you're looking for a co-op exploration game without any "fantasy" or "supernatural" elements to it. Some non-player bad guys are okay, but not too much. Gotcha...I'll have to rack my brains a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only game I can think of is, unfortunately at this point, still in playtesting and therefore not yet published: Thrilling Tales of Adventure!. Maybe you can contact the designer and get a playtest copy! It just sounds like exactly what you are looking for. I know I'd buy if it were in print.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Turner
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tobyo104 wrote:

I just played this with four players, including two wives. While my wife is a gamer, my friend's wife isn't, so much, and it seemed like she was having a blast. The only time she seemed squicked at all was when her husband verbally described what's implied in the Autopsy card (Something like, "If you're in the Dr.'s Office and there's at least one dead Elder, play this card to gain d6 Investigation.") But she played, and understood the rules (she did once say, "There's too much to remember," but she remembered it all). We played the Basic version, and I think we could have handled the Advanced version with no problem, but it's good that there's a Basic version out there.

The theme is more of a Gothic Thriller theme, with evil events happening, but it never feels overly hopeless or overwhelming (except maybe when you're fighting the Scarecrow and you draw the Mystery card that ticks the Shadow Track down by one automatically every round). I posit, even, that the Vampire didn't seem like much of a threat at all in the basic version.

My friend commented, "I understand there's a lot more to do in Arkham Horror, but I kinda like the lightness of this game."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now, I can't claim to know much about these, but filtering and searching based upon roughly what you're looking for (and keeping availability in mind):

Tikal

Endeavor (may have to check this one out more myself)

Africa

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game

I've only just started playing the game myself but I think it has promise and it meets every one of your criteria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Lloyd
United States
North Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
elgin_j wrote:
Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game

I've only just started playing the game myself but I think it has promise and it meets every one of your criteria.

I'd agree on this one, except for the "evil" thing (not that I mind). It's not a true co-op, but definitely a good team game.

I think it would be hard to find many co-op games that don't involve some sort of "evil". And, if you think about it, all the antagonists in the Indiana Jones movies are evil. Pandemic is a good game, but there's no exploration. Shadows over Camelot is good as well, but that might cross into the "fantasy" realm. Good luck finding what you're looking for.

Edit: Oops. Just re-read the OP and see that you've already discounted these titles. I think I need more caffeine. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Philipp
United States
Muskego
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Der Hexen Von Salem IS Arkham Horror Lite, period. No ifs, ands, or buts. It is hard, but you can throttle the difficulty without too much, er, difficulty.

Since I've gotten it my Arkham Horror stuff has sat idle and is now on my trade list...

My wife likes DHVS and never could play Arkham. Though the themes are simular, the artwork and feel are much cooler than AH we think as well.

One of my wife's favorites is Touch of Evil, though it can take a while to play. It is clear that Flying Frog "was inspired" (and by that I mean, "ripped off") that Jonny Depp movie "Sleepy Hollow". If you like that movie you will love A Touch of Evil.

Ghost Stories is one of our favorite games, period. This also should fit your bill nicely. If you asian themed stuff, the game is beautiful, and it is fun, good duration, and you can throttle the difficulty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Boulo
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just had a couple more of ideas...

Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game

OR

Tales of the Arabian Nights

Nick 'The Prophet'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OSUnut wrote:
Anything with evil or monsters or dragons probably won't work.

This pretty much kills most of the suggestions.

What opposition are you looking for?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Pandemic? The player characters only have one ability each, but the cooperation element is very good, and you're working to stop disease, not evil creatures.

(BTW, I must know: does the 'OSU' in OSUnut refer to the real OSU, home of the Oregon State Beavers, or one of the pretenders from middle America?)

[edit] Now I go back and read that you'd tried Pandemic. Sorry. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anson Wooten
United States
Springboro
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OSU is for The Ohio State University, hence the "nut" (buckeyes), which is the real OSU by the way.

As far as what opposition I am looking for. I guess I don't really know. Many different themes would work (like the Indiana Jones idea I mentioned earlier). I am more or less just curious to know if there is an adventure game similar to AH with a theme that my wife would enjoy (no monsters, dragons, demons, etc), and that has a shorter play time. Maybe there isn't one, which is fine.

Thanks for all of the suggestions though. I will definately check all these out. She may be able to gets past the theme if the game is really fun to play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattwran
United States
LONGMEADOW
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Return of the Heroes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OSUnut wrote:
OSU is for The Ohio State University, hence the "nut" (buckeyes), which is the real OSU by the way.

Maybe we should ask Southern Cal. devil

We beat them last year, just like we did in their previous trip to Corvallis. They hardly broke a sweat thumping the Buckeyes! We'll see how you do tonight. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, not character SHEETS, but with character CARDS that grant each character one special ability...but the rest of the criteria fit.

What does your wife think of Lord of the Rings?

Another co-op choice (gamers against 'the game system') without any hint of fantasy at all is Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases. Although no real character sheets or character advancement, here (the only thing you collect are clues...like, literally, clues...things you write down on paper to help solve the mystery, not game tokens or anything). Re-playability on this one is held to be stunningly low, though (there isn't any randomness, so once you play through the 10 'cases'...that's it...unless you buy one of the expansions).

(Guess I'm kind of surprised at 'Arkham Horror' being a miss, though. I mean, there are no demons in it, and most of the nature of the 'evil' in it is extra-dimensional or otherwise stereotypical 'light horror' fodder not considerably different from fairly tale lore.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shanya Almafeta
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it has item collection, but otherwise Marvel Heroes is "Arkham Horror in tights."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Prophet wrote:
Just had a couple more of ideas...

Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game

OR

Tales of the Arabian Nights

Nick 'The Prophet'

I second Tales of the Arabian Nights. While not co-operative, there is very little conflict, and has everything else you asked for in spades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Lord of the Rings seems like the only surviving candidate. Does your wife like Euros and Tolkein? If so, LotR would be a definite choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.