Popular Tags: [View All]
Judit Szepessy
Canada
London
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to include images from this site in my Geeklist. How do I do that?
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm332830976/tt0412019
This is one image I want to include but I want to include more from that site. Which numbers do I have to use among all these, brackets, etc.?
Thanks!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Normally you would right click on the image and click view image. Then you would use the full url, and click "insert external image" here on BGG. (quote my post) But it doesn't look like IMDB is letting you right click on the pictures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please note that if you are not hosting a given image, it's generally considered bad netiquette to direct link an image from another site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judit Szepessy
Canada
London
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you. What does it mean "if you are not hosting a given image"? If I am just taking it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judit Szepessy
Canada
London
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Then how could you insert the image here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
judoka wrote:
Thank you. What does it mean "if you are not hosting a given image"? If I am just taking it?

If you link to an image but it is physically located on someone else's server, you are not hosting it (and thus paying for the bandwidth it takes to let someone see it on their computer).

This is generally considered bad because if the page suddenly became popular, then every time your page/post is viewed, it taps the bandwidth of the person hosting the picture, and could blow them out or make them get charged a lot of money.

IMDB has disabled the 'right click to save' option, so they obviously do not want people linking straight to their pictures or saving them to their hard drive in a usable format (at least not easily).

I believe it's incorrect to teach people how to circumvent their attempt at security, so it would be best if you did as you did in this post, and post a link so people can see the picture at IMDB in context.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here, I found it in another place:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ZGaX_vgORKg/RX2-bbo5r2I/AAAAAAAAAE...

You can quote me to see the whole thing. I'm not taking sides on the "link if you're not hosting" or "circumvent security" issues. I don't think the OP's are wrong. But there are two useful skills here - one is a Google search; I just typed in Broken Flowers, went to the image results, and voila.

The second is the Fn+PrtSc trick. If you ever want to document what's on your screen - a software error, to show your IT person, for example, PrtSc is your friend. I think on a Dell, Ctrl+PrtScn gives you just the active box. On my laptop, only Fcn+PrtSc works, which gives me the whole page, and I can crop it in a photo editor like PhotoShop.

Remember kids, just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judit Szepessy
Canada
London
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the two of you. Now I am in two minds about what is right and wrong. So shall I include pics in my Geeklist or only links? It just would look nicer if I had pics along. Thanks for your help and advice.I do not know what OPs are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Original posts/original posters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judit Szepessy
Canada
London
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if I decided to include pics in my list (I do not want to break any written or unwritten rules or etiquette, but I think if the system lets me use the picture I could), I am still unable to do it. I rightclicked another image then on Insert External Image and nothing shows up. Should I just include the links? There are so many good pictures are out there of his films.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judit Szepessy
Canada
London
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OP- thanks, I see it now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
judoka wrote:
Even if I decided to include pics in my list (I do not want to break any written or unwritten rules or etiquette, but I think if the system lets me use the picture I could), I am still unable to do it. I rightclicked another image then on Insert External Image and nothing shows up. Should I just include the links? There are so many good pictures are out there of his films.

You would go to the image, and copy the URL, either by copying it out of the address bar, or right click > copy image location in Firefox. Then, you would go to your post and click the button with the tree. it will put your URL in between IMG and /IMG (each in brackets) so it would look something like this:

[ IMG ] http://www.fakeurl.com/123.jpg [ /IMG ]

Be warned that the image will link its actual size, rather than be scaled automatically like when you link a BGG image, so some can be huge!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judit Szepessy
Canada
London
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you. I will try and think about it. Thanks again, you are a great help for newbies, I appreciate it a lot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.