Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Microbadge: nestorgames fanMicrobadge: Adaptoid fanMicrobadge: Parent of One GirlMicrobadge: Ni-Ju fanMicrobadge: Arcade fan
2nd NESTORGAMES game design contest.

Hi, all.

Welcome to the 2nd NESTORGAMES game design contest. Winner gets published (if we both reach an agreement).

Here are the rules:

1. Deadline is oct-31-2009

2. The game must use FORMAT 2 (see FORMAT 2 technical specifications on the links section of my publisher page).

3. The game must be added to the bgg database. Thumbs up help. Fans help...

4. The game must be added to the 2nd NESTORGAMES design contest geeklist: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/46136.

5. It must be a "german style" game (near abstract, pasted theme, a bit random, but not much,... you know)

6. Rules must be clearly written and uploaded in PDF format (english only) to the bgg page for the game. Nice documentation helps. Images help. Turn examples help. Cool artwork helps.

7. Already existing games in the database are also accepted, but innovative games are greatly appreciated.

8. Plagiarism will be banned.

9. Winner gets published (if we both reach an agreement). Some non winners could be published too.

10. NESTORGAMES reserves the rights to change anything about the published game/s. This just means that the final product may be different from the original, due to production issues.

11. You can comment the entries in this thread.

12. Ask your questions here. Do not send messages to the NESTORGAMES e-mail about this contest.

13. Not following these rules may result in not considering your game for evaluation.

14. I may change these rules at any moment. (I can update/add/explain the rules if needed).

15. One person can submit more than one game.

16. Of course I'm paying royalties.

17: You MUST calculate the total weight and show this result clearly somewhere.

If your game has a board, maybe you should participate in the 1st NESTORGAMES game design contest here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/433317

Good luck everybody!

EDIT: Voting is open! Go to this geeklist, vote and you might win a copy!

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/48040

Thnak you!

Néstor Romeral Andrés

EDIT: Voting is now closed. Thank you very much to everybody! This has been a great experience. Now time to choose the winner and the geekuser that will receive a copy.

EDIT: Winner announced:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/48040

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: Fantasy fanMicrobadge: Science Fiction fanMicrobadge: WriterMicrobadge: Commodore 64 fanMicrobadge: Eurogamer
Re: 2nd NESTORGAMES game design contest.
nestorgames wrote:
5. It must be a "german style" game (near abstract, pasted theme, a bit random, but not much,... you know)
It always bothers me to see this stereotypical definition of German-style (or Euro) games, particularly when it comes from a publisher. No, German-style games are not "near abstract" and most do not have a "pasted theme". Some may be like that, I concede, but that does not define the genre. And looking at your website, it appears that your games are much closer to abstracts than to the German style.

Just for the record, my Kingdom of Heroes is a German-style game and was designed with the theme firmly in mind. But I suppose it is too big for the contest, anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: San Francisco Giants fanMicrobadge: Denver Broncos fanMicrobadge: San Jose Sharks fanMicrobadge: I play with orange!Microbadge: Greater Western Sydney Giants fan
Nestor's definition of a German-style game might not be fantastic, but I understand his intent.

GSReis wrote:
And looking at your website, it appears that your games are much closer to abstracts than to the German style.
I've been operating under the impression that Nestor WANTS some imperfect information games in his arsenal, because he has only abstracts right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Romian Tuesta-Vilca
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Electric Light Orchestra fanMicrobadge: Soccer fanMicrobadge: Race for the Galaxy fanMicrobadge: Queen fanMicrobadge: Diplomacy fan
GSReis wrote:
nestorgames wrote:
It always bothers me to see this stereotypical definition of German-style (or Euro) games, particularly when it comes from a publisher. No, German-style games are not "near abstract" and most do not have a "pasted theme". Some may be like that, I concede, but that does not define the genre. And looking at your website, it appears that your games are much closer to abstracts than to the German style.

Just for the record, my Kingdom of Heroes is a German-style game and was designed with the theme firmly in mind. But I suppose it is too big for the contest, anyway.

Your point being...???

Honeslty, everyone has their own definiton of what a "german-style" aka eurogame is. To my knowledge, and in my humble opinion, there is not a real and only one definition to what a "german-style" game is. There have been many debates and the topic is always subject of controversy. It is hard to define what it is since there are so many "hybrids".

However, most people agree that "german-style" games have themes pasted on them. I.e. Tigris and Euprhates could easily work as well with a Vampire, Galactic or Ice-cream theme. Although, this is not true for all euro games.

Anyways, I think Nestor is only trying to give some pauses and guidelines to what he is expecting from designers. On the other hand, I think that your comment, although you have all the right in the world to make it, does not really contribute much, if anything, to the thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Microbadge: nestorgames fanMicrobadge: Adaptoid fanMicrobadge: Parent of One GirlMicrobadge: Ni-Ju fanMicrobadge: Arcade fan
metzgerism wrote:
Nestor's definition of a German-style game might not be fantastic, but I understand his intent.

GSReis wrote:
And looking at your website, it appears that your games are much closer to abstracts than to the German style.
I've been operating under the impression that Nestor WANTS some imperfect information games in his arsenal, because he has only abstracts right now.
Hi, Steven!

You've explained it perfectly.

Néstor Romeral Andrés

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niklas Mardby
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Fantasy Flight Games fanMicrobadge: Image UploaderMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!
Great competition Néstor! Good luck to everyone participating. Looking forward to seeing what games enter this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mckane
Australia
SYDNEY
N.S.W
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: My contribution was deemed Pyuredeadbrilliant
I'd like to submit my game it is downloadable as a PDF currently in the files section here.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/41606

DECRIPTION:
“The toy box comes alive during the day
in the hands of children as they play.
As the night grows dim and our children lay,
the toy box comes alive and with each other they play”.

It’s perhaps the most dangerous game of all…
as players in the dating game you will lie, cheat, steal, and then lie some more. This is a game based on reading your opponent’s bluff, finding out who has the ultimate arm candy and then stealing her right from under them.
Where dating more than one woman is the easy part but keeping your friends rivals from
moving in on your turf can end in tears.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
I'm so sorry, James. Format 2 doesn't support cards.

Please take a look:

http://nestorgames.com/format2.html

Néstor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: San Francisco Giants fanMicrobadge: Denver Broncos fanMicrobadge: San Jose Sharks fanMicrobadge: I play with orange!Microbadge: Greater Western Sydney Giants fan
Nestor:

I believe that I will be submitting my game design "Segundai" for this competition, although I feel like the game itself is pretty damn small when I have to fit the guidelines for weight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: Fantasy fanMicrobadge: Science Fiction fanMicrobadge: WriterMicrobadge: Commodore 64 fanMicrobadge: Eurogamer
Romian wrote:
However, most people agree that "german-style" games have themes pasted on them.
Most Ameritrashers who want to dismiss that style, you mean.

Quote:
I.e. Tigris and Euprhates could easily work as well with a Vampire, Galactic or Ice-cream theme. Although, this is not true for all euro games.
I would be very interested to hear how T&E would work with an "ice cream theme". But extreme examples and silly exaggerations apart, I actually think that what you say is true for most games, including Ameritrash. Twilight Imperium could easily work with a Fantasy theme, for example. That doesn't mean its theme is pasted on, nor that it could have any theme. But I won't go further into it, because, admittedly, this thread is not the best place to that discussion.

Quote:
Anyways, I think Nestor is only trying to give some pauses and guidelines to what he is expecting from designers.
Certainly. I'm just a bit tired of seeing that stereotypical fallacy being repeated over and over. I didn't mean to pick on him in particular.

Quote:
On the other hand, I think that your comment, although you have all the right in the world to make it, does not really contribute much, if anything, to the thread.
And how does yours, please?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
metzgerism wrote:
Nestor:

I believe that I will be submitting my game design "Segundai" for this competition, although I feel like the game itself is pretty damn small when I have to fit the guidelines for weight.
I can't wait to see it!

Néstor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Tavener
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
The overtext below is true.
badge
The overtext above is false.
Microbadge: Geek of the WeekMicrobadge: Tai Chi fanMicrobadge: Coffee drinkerMicrobadge: Book readerMicrobadge: I play with green!
nestorgames wrote:
There is no real difference between a tile game and a card game; it could work. Is the bag that the game comes in big enough for the players to draw tiles out of it?

Cards good, though. Roll on format 3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mrraow wrote:
nestorgames wrote:
There is no real difference between a tile game and a card game; it could work. Is the bag that the game comes in big enough for the players to draw tiles out of it?

Cards good, though. Roll on format 3
Hi, Stephen!

There are several differences:

- Price.
- Packaging.
- Weight.
- Shuffling.

Fortunately the weight limit determines how many tiles the game could have, hence solving most of the above issues.

About the bag: White pouch (printed): 19 x 26 cm. Weight=20 grams.

Not sure about Format 3 specs yet, but as you've said, it should include cards. Packaging is the problem.

Néstor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Tavener
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Geek of the WeekMicrobadge: Tai Chi fanMicrobadge: Coffee drinkerMicrobadge: Book readerMicrobadge: I play with green!
Quote:
- Shuffling.
Equivalent to drawing tiles out of a bag
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mrraow wrote:
Quote:
- Shuffling.
Ok, Mr. Math Guy

This is an interesting topic. In my opinion both things are not equivalent in terms of gameplay. Mathematicaly equivalent, yes. But games are not just math. Don't you think?

Néstor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Tavener
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
nestorgames wrote:
In my opinion both things are not equivalent in terms of gameplay. Mathematicaly equivalent, yes. But games are not just math. Don't you think?
While that is true, it depends very much on the use to which the cards are put. Case study:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/398 has been published as Quandary
Board Game: Wildlife Safari
and as Loco
Board Game: Wildlife Safari
. Rosie enjoys Quandary a lot, but doesn't like Loco. Same game, different production. In this case, the tiles make the game better. I can see that in bridge, with 13 cards in hand, tiles would be annoying to say the least!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
nestorgames wrote:
mrraow wrote:
Quote:
- Shuffling.
Equivalent to drawing tiles out of a bag :)
Ok, Mr. Math Guy ;)

This is an interesting topic. In my opinion both things are not equivalent in terms of gameplay. Mathematicaly equivalent, yes. But games are not just math. Don't you think?

Néstor

I am currently working on a prototype that will be card-based, with periodic shuffling as prescribed by 2-3 action cards.

The other day, I thought of something: using tiles could eliminate the need for those two cards, and provide a "constantly reshuffling" deck (tiles discarded automatically become part of the draw pile/bag). In a deck of cards (and we're talking over 130 cards) this would force you to reshuffle at the end of practically every third turn to get the same effect.

So my decision now is between tiles in a bag or cards, and they are clearly not the same for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
metzgerism wrote:
I am currently working on a prototype that will be card-based, with periodic shuffling as prescribed by 2-3 action cards.

The other day, I thought of something: using tiles could eliminate the need for those two cards, and provide a "constantly reshuffling" deck (tiles discarded automatically become part of the draw pile/bag). In a deck of cards (and we're talking over 130 cards) this would force you to reshuffle at the end of practically every third turn to get the same effect.

So my decision now is between tiles in a bag or cards, and they are clearly not the same for me.
Watch out for the total weight! 130 tiles sounds a bit too much for me.

They could be done in cardboard, but I'm not using this method yet. And they'll probably get damaged into the bag. I must test this.

Néstor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
This concept is NOT for this contest. I may consider something similar to post, but here's my dilemma:

Segundai was ready-to-playtest a couple weeks ago, with the full intent to make it for Format 2 (because it fit better that way).

This untitled game will probably work better with a game board - but is too large and too unfinished for Format 2. Also, there's just a little too much information on each tile to make them really really small.

So right now I have two games...but nothing for Format 1 yet, and I'd like to do this for both contests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Thank you!

Please consider adding it to the 1st NESTORGAMES game design contest.

Néstor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
Microbadge: Los Angeles Express fanMicrobadge: Penrose Tiling fanMicrobadge: Oakland Raiders fanMicrobadge: Kurt Gödel - Gödel's Incompleteness TheoremsMicrobadge: Quality over quantity: I don't care for poster levels!
mrraow wrote:
Quote:
- Shuffling.
Equivalent but not the same as. Reframe the game within the bounds of the contest, ie a Format 2 bag of tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Scutt
United Kingdom
Matlock
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: 20 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: The Geek Citizenship Recognition Program Rolls On!Microbadge: Level 05 BGG posterMicrobadge: My Favorite Contribution to BGG
Hi Nestor,
I have a few questions, which apply to both NESTORGAMES contests:

1: How complex can the printing be on the tiles, and can they be double-sided? For example, could my game Snake Pit be printed on your acrylic tiles? (I'm not saying that Snake Pit itself would fit this contest without some reworking, but I have some other ideas that would be ruled in or out by the printing question)

2: How important are thumbs and/or fans? I'm not keen on adding games to the BGG database until they've had some playtesting and got at least a first draft proper set of rules and some reasonable graphics. Once you've got those elements it can take a week to get the game and all the files uploaded and approved (I know because I just added Monkey Rummy)... and that really doesn't leave much time to collect thumbs and fans.

3: How translucent are your translucent tiles? I'm thinking of a game where elements of the board appear or disappear depending on what colour translucent tile is placed on top of them, or where the resultant colour from a stack tiles is important. Are the translucent tiles translucent enough (and consistent enough in colour) to do this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Hi, Tom.

Thank you for asking.

Quote:
1: How complex can the printing be on the tiles, and can they be double-sided? For example, could my game Snake Pit be printed on your acrylic tiles? (I'm not saying that Snake Pit itself would fit this contest without some reworking, but I have some other ideas that would be ruled in or out by the printing question)
As complex as you wish, but not double sided:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/3813611#3813611

Quote:
2: How important are thumbs and/or fans? I'm not keen on adding games to the BGG database until they've had some playtesting and got at least a first draft proper set of rules and some reasonable graphics. Once you've got those elements it can take a week to get the game and all the files uploaded and approved (I know because I just added Monkey Rummy)... and that really doesn't leave much time to collect thumbs and fans.
This is for the other contest. But I think I'll use it in this one too:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/3905791#3905791

Quote:
3: How translucent are your translucent tiles? I'm thinking of a game where elements of the board appear or disappear depending on what colour translucent tile is placed on top of them, or where the resultant colour from a stack tiles is important. Are the translucent tiles translucent enough (and consistent enough in colour) to do this?
I can use translucent white and some transparent basic colours. However, don't use this to create optical effects, such as colour mixtures or dissapearing elements. It will not work.

I preffer you use solid colours or translucent white (ice).

Néstor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
FYI:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/443357

Néstor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Blain
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: Devoted FatherMicrobadge: HomebuilderMicrobadge: Blood Donor - I give bloodMicrobadge: MotorbikerMicrobadge: Table Tennis fan
Just to keep the interest up...

Read a short article in TIME magazine (August 09) while away with the kids last week (ah, the things you do!) on a game called "Bananagrams". It's ranked 701 on this site and worth a look. The article quotes: "...with 2 million units expected to be sold this year."

Can money be made from a simple game? Sure, why not!

Regards, Matt B
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |