Subject: Background historical information? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Smith
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
First, thanks to James and Uwe for the rich stream of information in these forums!

I am a inexperienced wargamer who knows a small amount of military history. I was reading forum posts, and people were talking about "Balka's". My first reaction was "WTF is a Balka?" (It is a steep ravine caused over time by flash floods in Russia)

This made it clear to me that I don't know a lot about the context of CoH. Most of what I know about WWII I got from high school history classes. I also listen to The History Network podcast, and I'm in the middle of a short overview book about WWII. So, all of my knowledge about tactical level stuff comes from the blue designer notes in the rulebook (which are GREAT).

Can anyone recommend a book, or other source, that would give me some context about the eastern front? I'd like to know stuff like:

What was the command structure like? What sorts of units were likely to have officers in them? What kind of training did soldiers go through? What did they carry with them, on a mission? What kind of food did they eat? What happened to wounded soldiers?

How were supply lines organized? How did supply lines affect what battles could be fought when?

How many mpg did tank X get, and what would happen if it got stuck in mud? How would you assault such a tank?

How did units communicate, and what kind of specific orders did they get before a battle? What kind of rangefinders did mortar spotters use?

Anyway, you get the idea. Can anyone suggest a book that answers questions like this (specifically about the eastern front)? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Howdy Ben,

As far as getting ALL of the information in one place, you're going to find that a rather daunting task. But, good places to look are the Stackpole military series, and Osprey Publishing for specific information on operations and military equipment, units, and soldiers of specific areas. If you just want a good overview of the Eastern Front there are many perspectives and books released on the matter, and I recommend reading more than one due to the inevitable influence of each author's opinion on their particular histories.

Here is a list by David E. Schrank on Amazon.com of some good books on the Eastern Front. I hope this was at least mildly helpful, as I by needs am rushing to keep my son from destroying his room. Enjoy!

http://www.amazon.com/Military-Coverage-Eastern-Front/lm/R28...

Jacovis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Smith
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Looks great! Thanks for the help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.