BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: First BGG Post - Looking for a game recomendation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Barrett

Oregon
msg tools
Hello BGG,

I've been playing Eurogames for over a year now with a regular group of friends each Sunday night. We started with the gateway Settlers of Catan and quickly grew into Puerto Rico and Agricola. We often have five players and look to include everyone. Recently after a fierce few sessions of competitive saltiness, I've switched to lighter and more cooperative games (Pandemic, Battlestar Galactica.) I fear I've developed a collector's bug and am looking for the next purchase.

I'm trying to choose between the Alhambra Big Box (we're all architects), Race for the Galaxy, Thurn and Taxis, or some other game I haven't considered.

In addition to a healthy rotation of games within my collection, we also play Tigris and Euphrates, Carcassone, Power Grid, and Iron Dragon.

Much thanks for your suggestions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Endeavor. Played it for the first time last week, and it's great. It has elements of Puerto Rico, Goa, and Railroad Tycoon, all mixed in one. A definite winner with the Euro-game crowd!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy is nice, fast, inexpensive, and highly recommended. Sadly, unless you have one of the expansions, it only takes 4 players.

Alhambra bigbox... have you played Alhambra? I'd hold off on the big box unless you know you like the game. (If you do, then by all means, go for it.)

If you're all architects, clearly you need Cleopatra and the Society of Architects. It has a unique faceup/facedown card mechanic, and great pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
"Always rely upon a happy mind alone." Geshe Chekhawa.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Architects might also enjoy Big City, but it's a fine game for non-architects, too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barrett

Oregon
msg tools
Thanks for the suggestions.

I haven't played Alhambra yet, but the price difference between just the original game and the big box is only around $25.

Cleopatra looks interesting. It's definitely in consideration along with Endeavor.

How does Caylus compare to the other 'big games' I own?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilder
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to The 'Geek! Kiss your disposable income goodbye!

Small World is a lot of fun, as is Colosseum, although the trade round in the latter can drag the pace down.

I have never played Caylus, but many people consider Pillars of the Earth to be a streamlined version of that, so consider Pillars, too. It is very good. Stone Age would be another worker placement game that's well liked. You'll have to check the player range on these; some may only play four.

One that may be good for you is Age of Empires III. It's got some combat, but it's small and luckless combat. Lots of interaction, lots of paths to victory. Plays five and you can even order an extra set of pieces to make it play six. It's a really fun game, IMHO.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pokey007 wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions.

I haven't played Alhambra yet, but the price difference between just the original game and the big box is only around $25.

Cleopatra looks interesting. It's definitely in consideration along with Endeavor.

How does Caylus compare to the other 'big games' I own?

If you like Alhambra, then yes, the big box is a great deal, and well worth the price. If you don't, then adding the big box means that in addition to buying Alhambra instead of another game, you just bought extra Alhambra instead of Race for the Galaxy. Maybe you can find someone local who has a copy of Alhambra that you can try first -- personally I like it well enough (although not a favorite), but I have friends who have hated it.

Cleopatra is similarly lighter fare, but still has plenty of interesting choices, and great fun for 5. I bought it as a wedding present once for an architect friend. I wouldn't pay the $50 retail for it, but it can oft be found on deep discount down to $25-30, at which price I'd definitely recommend it for your group.

Caylus is a much heavier game, I'd say probably more akin to Puerto Rico and Agricola. It has some of the worker placement and resource gathering of Agricola, but with less pressure on getting specific things. It can get chaotic with 5 thanks to the provost mechanic, and I tend to prefer it 2-player, but I personally think it's the best worker placement game out there. (That being said, provost with 5 players can get very spikey and lead to mutual resource denial, so if that bothers you, be warned.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JoeyHemlock wrote:
I have never played Caylus, but many people consider Pillars of the Earth to be a streamlined version of that, so consider Pillars, too. It is very good. Stone Age would be another worker placement game that's well liked. You'll have to check the player range on these; some may only play four.

One that may be good for you is Age of Empires III.

Stone Age is good, but plays only 4.

Pillars doesn't let you build anything with the resources, just get points, so I think it streamlines away a lot of the more interesting parts. (and also only plays 4 un-expanded.)

AoE III is another fine choice; lighter than Caylus, more Ameri (vs. Euro), and prettier pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Van Zandt
United States
South Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
PlayTMG.com
mbmbmbmbmb
alhambra loses most of its interesting decisions with more than 3 players.

if you're looking for lighter games with less... directable aggression, i'd say Snow Tails. Galactic Emperor is my favorite "Puerto Rico"-esque game, though it's got a longish play time. both of those can handle 5 players with no particular problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RB
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alhambra has been a big hit with everyone I have introduced it to. That being said, it should be understood that it is a light family game really. The luck/chaos levels go up to frustrating levels to anything above 4 players in my opinion (and even 4 is boderline...). I think it plays best with 3 or 2. Some of the expansions that are included with the big box game have mechanisms that help make the game more viable for 4-6 players. My opinion: great game with 2-3, getting borderline with 4, and steer clear with 5 or 6.

Caylus, on the other hand, is a much heavier game. If you are at all concerned with "saltiness" for your next game, then steer clear of Caylus. Caylus is very cutthroat when played agressively - especially with 4 or 5 players. While I absolutely love the game, I have had several games get a bit nasty when the provost starts getting thrown around to target specific players. My opinion: very elegant, well designed game, but has some nastiness that can raise blood pressures and leave people with that "ganged up on" feeling, especially with 4-5 players...

Medium to medium-heavy games that I would recommend that play well with 5, but do not have excessive confrontation include: Modern Art, Colusseum, Kingsburg (a bit lighter, but don't write it off because of the dice - a lot of fun), Princes of Florence, Notre Dame, and Age of Steam.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barrett

Oregon
msg tools
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. This has been a great response from the BGG community.

I think I'm going to purchase Race for the Galaxy along with the Gathering Storm expansion to allow me to play 5. I'll also pick up the Pandemic expansion as well.

Endeavor looks like a great game and it might be at the top of my wait list. Cleopatra also looks like fun ... but I think I'll try to talk someone else in my gaming group to buy that one.

Based on your response, I'm not as hot on Alhambra. I was originally attracted to it because of the tile laying mechanic, I love the actual building, and the Spiel de Jahres award.... but I guess not. We like light games, but not those that become bloated with too many people.

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.