Hide
8 Posts

Race for the Galaxy» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Why Race for the Galaxy is my only ten rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: RftG [+] [View All]
Jake O\'neal
msg tools
Race for the Galaxy is probably not the best game out there.

It does not have the elegance of chess.

It does not have the beautiful art of Stone age, or the same level of components either.

It's theme is rather pasted on

But despite all that I thoroughly enjoy this game and at present will never turn down a game, and will suggest it whenever I can.

This is because the rules are relatively simple and can be picked up quickly. In addition to that the player mat is excellent for showing the rules, and explaining how the game works. Also I thoroughly enjoy the simultaneous turns, it is a great mechanism and it speeds the game up considerably. It is one of the primary things that keeps most of the games that I play under half an hour.

Despite the fact that there are prettier games out there with better components, this game has very good artwork. The cards are fun to look at, even if they are a bit flimsy.

The theme is not bad, but not great, but the thing that makes me love this game is the theme. It does feel like you are exploring the galaxy with this game. Well not necessarily the galaxy, more like a deck of cards, but it's an interesting deck of cards! There is a serious lack of "I win" cards, and every card can be used in some way. They can't all be played at all stages of the game, but they are all useful in some way to someone at some time. I don't believe there is a card in that entire deck which I have not played at some time, except for maybe the destroyed world. Which is a shame because it would be a great world to get in a starting hand. But I digress.

Overall I love this game. It is very balanced for a game where you are drawing cards off the top of a deck. It suffers from that fact, but not a lot. This game is ultimately determined not as much by the cards you get in your hand, but how you play the cards in your hand. Because this game is so random that makes it insolvable which makes me happy. I prefer games that have at least some element of randomness to them in order to make them less static. It also helps to explain why I lose

Disclaimer:

I am new to gaming as can be seen by my very limited collection of games, so it's entirely possible that there are games that I will like better out there, this is just my current opinion, thank you for reading
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
Brussel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Concise. I like it.

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Friedberg
United States
claypool
IN
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great summary. I would only take issue with the assertion that the theme isn't very strong. Take a look at the cards and think about what they MEAN and how the powers on the card are truly tailored to that theme. I'm not just talking about the gambling world either. smugglers get better trade values, military production increases your strength, you even pay out of your hand to get mercs to do your dirty work! In my humble opinion, the theme on this game is one of the ones more CLOSELY tied to the actual play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McCorkle
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Take a look at the cards and think about what they MEAN and how the powers on the card are truly tailored to that theme.

I agree with this. Each card has a thematic reason for doing what they do. Some explanations are more convoluted than others though. However, when I play, I'm more concerned with what the cards do and never think about the theme. Then again, I never play games for theme anyway.

Quote:
This is because the rules are relatively simple and can be picked up quickly.

Emphasis mine. If it wasn't for the bolded part, I would have had issues with this line. Lots of people here have complained about the "steep learning curve" which indicates the complete opposite of your claim. Or maybe I just want to feel special for learning the game from the rule book with 1 read through and half a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Love
United States
Clarkston
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with you. Not as great as the hype made it out to be. Still a great game however.
I felt the learning curve wasn't to steep (not as much as I thought it would be), but it takes a few games to really become natural. But that can be said about any game really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake O\'neal
msg tools
benfriedberg1981 wrote:
Great summary. I would only take issue with the assertion that the theme isn't very strong. Take a look at the cards and think about what they MEAN and how the powers on the card are truly tailored to that theme. I'm not just talking about the gambling world either. smugglers get better trade values, military production increases your strength, you even pay out of your hand to get mercs to do your dirty work! In my humble opinion, the theme on this game is one of the ones more CLOSELY tied to the actual play!

I am sorry if I didn't make myself totally clear on this point. It has a good theme that works well, especially for the level of abstraction in this game. But when you compare it to other games that are designed around the theme such as Arkham horror (which admittedly I have never played) the theme of Race for the Galaxy has a weaker theme.

I guess the point I am trying to make with this review is that there are many things that Race for the Galaxy tries to do that other games do much better than it, but I really like the way the whole things works together for RftG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh P.
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kusinohki wrote:
Quote:
This is because the rules are relatively simple and can be picked up quickly.

Emphasis mine. If it wasn't for the bolded part, I would have had issues with this line. Lots of people here have complained about the "steep learning curve" which indicates the complete opposite of your claim.

Hindsight is 20/20.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt N

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I like the title (and I agree with it; I have no tens other than Rftg and its expansions), I do wish you had included a few remarks on overall strategy. Comments like "you'll be thinking on your feet throughout the game" or even "this game doesn't let you think 5 moves ahead like in chess" would be helpful to the casual reader thinking about buying.

Incidentally, I like destroyed world. It's very thematic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.