David McKenna
msg tools
Aren't you a little short for a Stormtrooper?
mbmbmbmbmb

Withdraw to day 1: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/441232

Turn 5: September 3, Morning (French morale 6, Russian morale 8)

(random event = “According to plan”. Another re-shuffle!)
After a night of rest, the French forces once again attack the weak link in the middle of the Russian line, with the III corps moving north to engage their Russian counter-parts, as does the IV cavalry corps. VIII corps moves south of (French) III corps and reserve cavalry crosses over the bridge before cutting cross-country south-east. I corps moves on to, then along, the Moscow-Smolensk highway and are overtaken by the Imperial Guard on the same road. Further north, I cavalry corps moves to attack the Cossack cavalry, aided by the V corps. The II cavalry corps moves into Basakova.

Cossack cavalry disengage from their attackers.

III corps and IV cavalry corps attack (Russian) III corps, who commit their reserves (-1 Russian morale) but are still forced to rout 6 hexes (another -1 Russian morale) (2 rolls of 6!) into the south-west of Gzhatsk. IV cavalry corps burst through the gap bringing them into contact with Barclay’s cavalry corps, and III corps advances after combat.

(random event = “Rally a command”. None to rally, so cards re-shuffled again)
General Kutuzov again fails to release any units; II corps moves north as Cossacks occupy their (now vacated) redoubt. IV corps moves south-east to the north of IV cavalry corps, surrounding that unit with zones of control.

IV cavalry corps counter-charges Barclay’s cavalry corps, who commit their reserves (-1 Russian morale) but are still forced to withdraw into Stopchishche. IV corps has no choice but to ‘take ground’.

VII corps and Barclay’s cavalry corps combine to attack IV cavalry corps, who commit their own reserves (-1 French morale) but are still forced to withdraw (north-west). This is a hazardous retreat, which they succeed. Barclay’s cavalry corps ‘takes ground’.

Situation at end of turn 5

Turn 6: September 3, Mid-day (French morale 5, Russian morale 5)

(random event = “Tenacious Defence”. During combat, Russian player may spend 1 morale point after each battle to change a DW to N result)
I cavalry corps moves to north of II corps, as II cavalry corps moves to south of Cossack cavalry in the north-most redoubt. III corps moves north into the vacant redoubt as VIII corps moves to south-west or Russian II Corps, allowing the Imperial Guard to move to north-west of same unit (-1 French morale for early committal of Guard unit) and the Reserve cavalry to move to the south of the same corps. I corps continues along the Moscow-Smolensk highway, and Reserve Artillery trundles along behind.

Barclay’s cavalry counter-charges the French IV cavalry corps, forcing them to withdraw and ‘taking ground’

I cavalry corps and V corps combine to attack Russian II corps, forcing them to withdraw. The Russians spend 1 morale point to ignore this result (-1 Russian morale). II cavalry corps attacks the Cossacks, also forcing them to withdraw. As the Cossacks are in a redoubt, they may ignore this result. IV cavalry corps attack Bagration’s cavalry corps but are themselves routed 4 hexes (-1 French morale). This involves a hazardous retreat (over the river) which they fail and so break instead (+1 Russian morale). Barclay’s cavalry advances after combat. Imperial Guard, VIII corps and Reserve Artillery all combine to attack VIII corps just outside Stopchishe, who commit their reserves (-1 Russian morale) but are still forced to withdraw. Again, they can ignore this result as they are in a redoubt. French lose another morale point as elite forces are unable to advance (-1 French morale).

(random event = “The Czar’s Wishes”. Associated roll = no effect)
A single corps is released from the Kutuzov Defence plan: the VI corps, who moves westwards towards the French II cavalry corps (all 1st army position corps now released). IV corps drops south-west, adjacent to Imperial Guard and the (no longer routed) III corps moves along the Moscow-Smolensk Highway into Stopchische.

I cavalry corps counter-charges Russian II corps but are forced to withdraw. Reserve cavalry counter-charges VII corps, but are also forced to withdraw.

Russian II corps attacks French V corps, forcing that corps to rout 6 hexes (-1 French morale) and ‘taking ground’. IV corps and Barclay’s cavalry corps combine to attack Imperial Guard, but both attackers rout: IV corps a single hex and Barclay’s cavalry 3 hexes. Imperial Guard advances after combat.

Situation at end of turn 6

Turn 7: September 3, Afternoon (French morale 1, Russian morale 4)

(random event = “Imperial Indecision”. May not commit Reserves, Imperial Guard or force-march this turn)
Having finally sundered the Russian line in twain, it seems that the Emperor is unsure what to do next! I corps and Reserve Cavalry both move to aid in the upcoming attack on the Russian VII corps, as the Reserve Artillery continues along the Moscow-Smolensk Highway. No other French unit moves.

Imperial Guard attacks the (routed) IV corps, routing that unit a further 3 hexes (another -1 Russian morale) but opting NOT to advance after combat. I corps, VIII corps and Reserve cavalry all combine to once again attack the Russian VII corps, breaking that corps outright (+1 French morale, -1 Russian morale)! Reserve cavalry captures the redoubt. Further north, II cavalry corps attacks Cossack cavalry but are themselves routed 6 hexes (-1 French morale). Further north still, I cavalry corps attacks II corps with both sides remaining engaged.

(random event = “Cossack Screen”. No effect as not using Fog of War)
Another single Russian corps is released from the Kutuzov Defence Plan: The Russian Reserve Artillery who move on to, then along, the Moscow-Smolensk Highway. Cossacks, VI corps and Barclay’s cavalry all move to attack French III corps and no other Russian corps moves.

I cavalry corps counter-charges II corps, forcing that corps to withdraw and ‘taking ground’.

II corps then (re)attacks I cavalry corps, with both sides remaining engaged. Finally, Cossacks, VI corps and Barclay’s cavalry all combine to attack the French III corps (in the redoubt, whose benefits only apply to Russian corps), with all sides remaining engaged.

Situation at end of turn 7

Turn 8: September 3, Dusk (French morale 1, Russian morale 2)

(random event = “Command Confusion”. Russian player places routed marker on French II cavalry corps)
The French forces continue to advance on Stopchishce, with the Reserve cavalry moving south-west of that location as the Imperial Guard moves north (free Guard committal) and I corps moves north-west of the same. VIII corps moves into the redoubt, and Reserve Artillery continues to trundle along the Moscow-Smolensk Highway. Finally, II corps moves east.

Neither Cossacks nor Barclay’s cavalry disengage nor counter-charge.

Imperial Guard, I corps and Reserve cavalry combine to attack the Russian III corps in Stopchische but only succeed in forcing that corps to withdraw. I corps advances after combat. I cavalry corps attack the Russian II corps but are themselves forced to rout 2 hexes (into Basakova)

(random event = “Holy Mother Russia”. Prior to each attack Russian player initiates this turn they gain +1 morale)
Again, a single Russian unit is released from the Kutuzov Defence Plan: the V corps, who then moves cross-country into Gzhatsk. Reserve Artillery trundles through that location and over the bridge as II corps advances on Basakova, IV corps on Stopchische and VIII corps on French Reserve cavalry.

I cavalry corps counter-charges II corps, forcing them to withdraw into the redoubt to their south-east and ‘taking ground’. Reserve cavalry counter-charges VIII corps, forcing them to withdraw back into their redoubt and also ‘taking ground’.

II corps attacks (+1 Russian morale) French I reserve cavalry, forcing the cavalry to withdraw into Basakova and opting to ‘stand fast’ rather than advance after combat. Cossacks, VI corps and Barclay’s cavalry all combine to attack (another +1 Russian morale) III corps, but all attackers are forced to withdraw. VIII corps attacks (yet another +1 Russian morale) Reserve cavalry and force them to withdraw before ‘taking ground’. IV corps attacks (and another +1 Russian morale) Imperial Guard, committing their reserves (-1 Russian morale) against the same and forcing the Guard to withdraw before also advancing after combat. Finally, III corps attacks (and another +1 Russian morale) the now surrounded I corps in Stopchische, but are forced to rout 4 hexes (-1 Russian morale). This involves a hazardous retreat over the ford near Trofany; III corps breaks instead (+1 French morale). I corps advances after combat.

Situation at end of turn 8

Turn 9: September 3, Evening (French morale 2, Russian morale 5)

(random event = “Murat: le Beau Sabreur”. French Reserve cavalry receives +1 movement and combat strength)
Reserve Artillery moves north-west, as VIII corps moves north and as III corps and I cavalry corps moves to the south and north, respectively, of the Russian II corps. V corps moves into the now vacant redoubt and II cavalry corps moves on to, then along, the Moscow-Smolensk Highway.

Cossacks disengage and Barclay’s cavalry counter-charges the Reserve Artillery, forcing the Artillery to rout 5 hexes (-1 French morale) and following their ‘retreat path’.

I corps and Reserve cavalry combine to attack Russian VIII corps to the south of Stopchische, who commit their reserves (-1 Russian morale) but are still forced to withdraw (south), with the Reserve cavalry advancing after combat. Imperial Guard attacks IV corps, routing that unit 4 hexes (-1 Russian morale) and ‘taking ground’. I cavalry and III corps combine to attack the (surrounded) Russian II corps, who commit their reserves (-1 Russian morale) and succeed in forcing both attackers to withdraw. Finally, II cavalry corps attacks Barclay’s cavalry corps, forcing Barclay to withdraw and ‘taking ground’

(random event = “All is at stake! We must counter-attack”. However, both players have an equal number of broken and eliminated non-Cadre units (3 each), so no effect)
General Kutuzov ‘releases’ the Russian Reserve Cavalry: all Russian corps are now in play. Reserve Artillery moves to the north-east of the Imperial Guard, as V corps utilises road movement to move to the north of French I corps (free committal, as France on a single morale point). VI corps also moves south, to the north of the Imperial Guard as the Reserve Cavalry moves on to, then along, the Moscow-Smolensk Highway and as 1 militia (finally) moves north to Trofany. Finally, the Cossacks and II corps move to attack the French I cavalry corps.

I cavalry corps counter-charges the Russian II corps, forcing them to withdraw and ‘taking ground’ into a very dangerous position! II cavalry corps counter-charges Barclays cavalry but are themselves forced to withdraw. Reserve Cavalry counter-charges VIII corps, forcing the VIII corps to withdraw and again ‘taking ground’.

Cossacks and II corps combine to attack the (surrounded) French I cavalry corps, forcing the defenders to withdraw. Amazingly, they do so safely, as the Cossacks ‘take ground’! Further south, VIII corps attacks Reserve cavalry, but both sides remain engaged. V corps attacks French I corps, forcing the I corps to withdraw and opting to ‘stand fast’. Finally, Reserve Artillery and VI corps attacks the Imperial Guard, but all sides simply remain engaged.

Situation at end of turn 9

Turn 10: September 3, Night (French morale 1, Russian morale 3)

(random event = “According to plan”. Reshuffle cards)
After a hard-fought day of battle, the French consolidate their gains, with the I cavalry corps dropping back into Basakova (obviously for a night of wine and women) as the Imperial Guard drop south into Stopchishche. III, V and VIII corps then all move south-east a single hex, and I corps and Reserve cavalry both move north-east 1 hex. Finally, II cavalry corps and Reserve Artillery both utilise road movement.

IV corps rallies near Tsarevo-Zaymishche with the III cavalry corps rallying in the LOC hex further north. IV cavalry corps, however, is eliminated for good. The French then drive the Russians morale down by one (-1 Russian morale) as they control the Russian objective hex of Stopchische, and then gain a single point from rest.

(random event = “Campaign Exhaustion”. No effect as morale currently equal)
The Russian forces decide to utilise the cover of darkness to form a new battle line on the west side of the Gzhaty River, with the 1 militia crossing the ford as V corps drops south-east and as Reserve cavalry utilises road movement through Gzhatsk. Reserve Artillery moves north-east, as does VI corps and VIII corps. Neither the Cossacks nor the II corps moves, but Bagration’s cavalry (behind the French forces) moves north-west.

VII corps rallies near Ivashkova; III corps remains broken. Finally, the Russians gain a single morale point from rest.

Situation at end of turn 10

Advance to day 3: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/3922119
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.