Popular Tags: [View All]
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I'm curious how a spell like Double Negative http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiver... or Mindbreak Trap (Instant-Exile any number of target spells) works? Perhaps things have changed (I know some things changed with M10, but Double Negative came out before M10) but I remember that spells were cast one at a time. Also, after a spell was cast, it was no longer a spell, it had either resolved and gone to the graveyard, or it had successfully become a permanent and was no longer a spell. With that, by the time you cast your next spell, the previous one was no longer a spell and therefor there was no opportunity to counter multiple spells all at once.
Somewhere my logic (or rules understanding) must be wrong, because to me, Double Negative has no function other than being an expensive to cast counterspell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Björklund
Finland
flag msg tools
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
badge
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
mbmbmbmb
Spells go on the stack before they resolve, so there can be more than one spell at the same time on the stack. Cards like Double Negative counter several spells on the stack at once, instead of just one spell (like normal counterspells).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Occhipinti
United States
Decorah
Iowa
flag msg tools
Magic Fanboy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Although this is a rare circumstance most of the time in Magic, Double Negative came out in the set Alara Reborn which included the keyword ability Cascade which is essentially a way to cast two spells at the same time. Normally, if you play a spell with Cascade and your opponent counters it, you still get the cascaded spell unless he also counters that. Double Negative quashes both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Gresch
Canada
Thunder Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will counter a spell and all of the storm copies. Spells like tendrils of agony, wing shards, or minds desire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
delirimouse wrote:
Although this is a rare circumstance most of the time in Magic, Double Negative came out in the set Alara Reborn which included the keyword ability Cascade which is essentially a way to cast two spells at the same time. Normally, if you play a spell with Cascade and your opponent counters it, you still get the cascaded spell unless he also counters that. Double Negative quashes both.

mana_farm wrote:
I will counter a spell and all of the storm copies. Spells like tendrils of agony, wing shards, or minds desire.

Ah ok. I wasn't sure whether stuff like cascade/storm etc. worked like that or not............and I guess I had forgotten about stuff like that anyway. Thanks for the help guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
How about this:

During your opponent's attack, she casts Akroma's Blessing, to make her creatures unblockable by your red creatures. You reply with Lightning Bolt, targetting a 2/2 creature that you want to kill before the Blessing takes effect. The controller replies with a giant growth to protect that creature. Now is a perfect time to play Double Negative, because you want to counter both the Akroma's Blessing and the Giant Growth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.