Subject: Using an action without executing it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Johan L
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played for the first time today, but one question came up that would be nice to have clarified. Can you use an action without actually executing the action? I.e. move a population marker to a building but then not use the benefit of the building. The reason one of the players wanted to do this was to stay in the action phase and waiting for one of the others to pick up a card, then use the next action to pick up the next card in the stack. Reading the rulebook for the dual actions (e.g. double shipping) it says you may take one or two actions, so we played it that this was allowed, but it would still be good to have confirmation on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarratt Gray
New Zealand
Upper Hutt
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I think that was asked somewhere else. It is allowed. Delaying can be really useful sometimes.

On your go you have 3 options
1. Activate and do the related action
2. Activate and do nothing
3. Pass and go out

If you Pass you are out for good, but if you delay by Activating and doing nothing you are still in. Of course it costs you a building which if you can't pay them next turn might be a problem, but it might be worth it sometimes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
but you can never save anything up for a later turn,

Hm, or so I thought ...

You're not saving it, but skipping it altogether, to give you a chance to execute something else when it comes back around to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCarty
United States
La Crescent
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Original thread:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/434265

An example from my first game. A player used his Colonial House even though there were no cities he could legally occupy (and even if there was he still could have not occupied). He did this because he figured (correctly IIRC) a region would open up and he could use his draw action using his (I think) Guild Hall.

He could NOT later Occupy with the Colonial House this round (the building was already activated and "used")

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Stewart
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's sooo Hot out here...
mbmbmbmbmb
N9IWP wrote:

He could NOT later Occupy with the Colonial House this round (the building was already activated and "used")

Brian

Unless, he received a COIN BAG and subsequently used that ACTION TOKEN to pay the Colonial House to immediately VACATE it and be used in his next action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.