Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Miller
Australia
Upwey
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Madeleine and I have just finished our first settlers card game.We played over 2 nights with the game going for two and a half hours. We played as per the standard rules.

I had read through the rule book a few times, especially after reading some of the comments here on BGG.

It took a while to sort the cards as I had just unpacked them, dropped the box with the cards in it so then had to go and sort everything out.

We have played a few games of the settlers of Catan board game so we had a reasonable handle on the mechanics of the game. We just had to get used to turning our cards for the resources. - Did we like that? yes and no so the Jury is hung on that one.

The few few rounds were spent ensuring that Madeleine got to know what was what. I managed to build a couple of roads and then Madeleine cottoned on to what I was doing so went down the same track.

My first building was the Abbey so I managed to get another card into my hand. Madeleine got a Knight out so started to win a few tournaments as they were rolled which made her quite happy.

Another settlement followed closely by a City put me in the lead unfortunately I was hit numerous times by the plague. I learned quickly that location location is an important consideration when building a city. I plonked mine down without a lot of thought and it just happened to be right next to my ore producing mountain. Which meant that my sole ore production was hit by both the Brigand and Plague; far too often.

As we had to go out for the night we left the game set up and resumed the following afternoon.

I managed to get 4 cities built. I had 2 Garrisons which helped with the Brigands. This time I thought about the placement of the Building and built it next to my Ore production.

Madeleine managed 3 cities and 2 settlements.

The windmill changed hands only once for the rest I the game it was held by me which was handy.

Madeleine maintained the knight throughout so it was sort of balanced. I think the knight came up more time than the windmill though.

Towards the final stages of the game we were neck and neck on 10 VPs, I built a library which put another card into my hand and Maddie placed another building which again put us neck and nec for the final VP.

Maddie decided to play an action card and removed 2 cards from my and hand, unfortunately for her she did not remove one of my buildings with a VP and through some clever trading of resources I managed to build the final building to take the game 12 to 11.

Synopsis of first game:

We played nice in this game, with the exception of the one action card played by Madeleine we did not get stuck into each other with actions.

We only searched the expansions deck 2 or 3 times so did not take advantage of this ability.

We focused more on dropping cards on the table rather than any thought of strategic/advantageous placement.

The game took quite a while to get through which tends to turn Madeleine off. We are likely to use the Variant that speeds things up a bit.

The game took up a lot of space, most of our dining table. Though I must admit Madeleine's side of the table was a lot less neater than mine. This is not a game we will pull out at a restaurant/cafe while waiting for out meal.

I definitely enjoyed the game and Madeleine seemed to like it - length is the main issue. I am hopeful that it will hit the table some more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Which expansion set did you use?

I would have just played the base game first, without adding stuff. It's a cumbersome enough game as it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
Australia
Upwey
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sad to say there were no expansions, we played just the base game. The expansions decks I refer to are the five expansions stacks that you create at the beginning of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.