6 Posts

Dune» Forums » General

Subject: Who wants to start a Dune game on BGG? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Glenn McMaster
Canada
flag msg tools
I see that the forum is now open to play Dune games.

I was mulling the idea of having a game here, but it occurs that there are problems inherent that slow down PBEM Dune games. Such as the need for everyone to check in during the bidding round, the Guild’s conditional movement, fighting battles one at a time, etc.

In rolling all this around while driving to McDonald’s, I hit on a crazy idea that I think might work. But before spending any time on it, I was wondering if people would be interested in the basic concept. The idea is to have a game where each faction is played by a team, and each member of the team is one of that faction’s 5 leaders in the game. If the leader that is “you” gets killed, then you are out of the game and the team carrys on with one less member.

The disadvantage is that not only would other people would be controlling events and making some decisions for your team, but that you can get killed and booted out of it. The advantage would be that a player could tune in and out on their own schedule, knowing that others on their team would be checking in to the site to move things along.

Is this a cool idea because it would be a "light" level of commitment for players and feel a bit like survivor, or is it bad because no one player can solely control the actions of their faction?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
interesting idea, but some leaders are intentionally meant to be sacrificed.

Also, would they know they were traitor?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn McMaster
Canada
flag msg tools
There'd be a pool of unassigned leaders (like Guild Rep) that noboby would bother playing, leaving some room for sacrificial plays.

On each team, the player whose character is the listed first on the player aid pad, (Stilgar, Rautha, etc.) would be the team leader. These would know the traitor draw and prediction. You would not know if you'd been picked as a traitor (but could try to find out, of course).

It is possible to "do" Dune on the internet with only one person per faction, but I suspect that having more players per team would dramatically speed up the game, since everyone has periods where they are away from the computer for days on end, and Dune requires constant attention and interaction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Watney
United Kingdom
Welwyn Garden City
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
another option would be to do bidding via IRC or some such thing.

i am liking the idea though, sounds like it has promise.

EDIT: geekchat. swish. ^_^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG has its own interactive chat. You can even make rooms.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekchat2.php

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn McMaster
Canada
flag msg tools
I just checked out the Chat room link - thanks for posting it, it looks good. You can have open dialogue or send private messages to individuals or groups of people. The guys there (or super hot chicks looking to get picked up, you never know) responded to questions immediately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.