Subject: Choosing to close/ seal a gate rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken V

California
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi all,

So my team drew a mythos card that bans players from sealing gates. However u can still close them.

So after venturing through the Other Worlds and coming back to the gate with an explored marker we'd normally seal up the gates. However, the mythos card bans us from doing so.

Seeing that we cannot seal the gate, can we CHOOSE not to close a gate? That is, can we just WAIT it out (do nothing in the encounter phase) at the explored gate until the mythos card is replaced so we can finally seal it?

Thanks for your help guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
I represent no danger.
mb
Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can definitely just stand there for a while if you like. It sounds like you've correctly realized that you're not allowed to move from the location in the intervening time, or else you'll have to go back through the gate again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell InGA
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But you cannot leave the location or you lose the explored marker. And, you have a free go from monsters in the location for a turn after you get back, but then have to encounter them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Kehoe
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Waiting like that can also be an important part of a "All Gates Closed" strategy - you want to close the last few gates in one turn before a Mythos card can reopen one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken V

California
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for all the quick replies!

So if you decide to wait it out, you don't need to draw an encounter card for that location right? I don't think so because the rules state that arkham encounter cards are only drawn for locations without gates.

Finally to make sure, a person who waits does nothing during the Arkham encounter phase/ Other World encounter phase?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Right, you would not draw encoutners at that location while the gate is still there.

You would typically not do anything during Phase 3 and 4. You would still have to fight any monsters that might appear or move onto your location during Phase 2 though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you get a free pass if a monster is there and you don't want to close?
I'm under the impression that you get a free pass if you choose
to close/seal.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
apatheticexecutioner wrote:
Do you get a free pass if a monster is there and you don't want to close?
I'm under the impression that you get a free pass if you choose
to close/seal.

Brian

You get the free pass the turn you come back whether you want to close it or not. Once that turn is completed, you are on the hook for dealing with any and all mosnters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"Every Board Game I Reach Is Dead"
United Kingdom
Scarborough
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
-Sigh-
It's good to have you back on AH and fanatically answering questions again Brian. laugh goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Narlgoth wrote:
-Sigh-
It's good to have you back on AH and fanatically answering questions again Brian. laugh goo

Was I gone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.