Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Cheadle
United States
Flushing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After just a few years in this great hobby, I'm starting to think most people purchase there games online. I don't see anything wrong with that since almost always you can get games at a reduced price.

I choose to buy my games from the store. I do pay more money but I also see a reason to support the neighborhood store. I've noticed in the past few years the selection has gotten much better. (maybe from more people buying new games). The store I shop at tends to play more RPGs, CCGs, and miniature war games.

Just wanted other peoples input
Do you by from the local store
or online?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I shop almost equally from a variety of sources:

1. FLGS: Gamemasters in Pittsburgh is awesome, and I've bought a number of games from Phil, most recently a case of Axis & Allies War at Sea: Flank Speed boosters. Also just got my copy of Space Hulk (third edition) from Legions in Pittsburgh...

2. On-Line: I've bought from Thoughthammer, Funagain, and a few others...

3. eBay auctions: I've actually secured numerous games from this source, most recently a clean copy of AH's Enemy in Sight.

4. Publisher pre-orders: Quite a few of these - most recently just saw that my credit card was charged by GMT for Commands & Colors: Ancients Expansion Pack #4 – Imperial Rome and Commands & Colors: Ancients Expansion Pack #5 – Epic Ancients II.

Usually, if one of my FLGS has what I'm looking for in stock, I buy it from them. But if they don't carry it and would have to order it, I buy on-line. Finally, OOP stuff is almost always an eBay purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh P.
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I shop where I can find the games I want. Usually, this means an online store. But sometimes I find something out-of-print in a local store and buy that. Sometimes what I want is only on eBay or in the BGG marketplace. And occasionally I find something at a used bookstore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kice
United States
Shorewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish I had the choice of a good FLGS. All the game stores in my area closed, even the crappy little one at the mall that mostly stocked poker stuff and every known version of Monopoly. There's a book store that still sells some games, but they removed their in-store playing area a few years back to make room for more books.

Kudos for supporting the ones in your own area! Game stores operate on a pretty small margin and it's the ones with a well-established community of gamers that survive over time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn Munnerlyn
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I want several titles I order online. If I want just one particular thing I'll go local.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael, I buy from both. Get good prices online, get to buy games immediately in person....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Culp
United States
Gillette
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nearest local store is 2+ hours away. Online for me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it comes down to how much effort does each person want to make to obtain new games? If you have a local store worth supporting, then there's nothing wrong with that.

Of course, defining what "worth supporting" means is very subjective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kirby g
United States
sheboygan
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I almost rarely buy online. If it wasnt for my FLGS I would have never got into gaming. They offer a great value to me and I would be devastated if they were to ever close.

They show me new games, have lots of open copies to play and borrow. Provide a area to play magic with people and hold events. If they closed I wouldnt have a place to play magic or other games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Z.
United States
Marlton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No real FLGS near me, so my decisions are definitely shaded by that.

The one hobby store has no games. Another has some, but it's limited. There's multiple GW stores, but I'm not into there games that much. Used to be a WoTC store but they all closed, so that's done.

Also, I work hard for my money and I need to spend it as wisely as possible. If that means online stores, so be it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I buy equally from FLGS and Online stores. While I like to support my FLGS, for me the decision really comes down to "how quickly do I want it?" Sometimes, I am more patient. Other times, I want the game TODAY. This happens most if I am buying before a weekend where I might be able to play the game. And if the cost difference in person is $5 or less, I will go get the game today. I've purchased hundreds of things online, and yet, I still prefer the personal interaction with the shop. There is still some risk buying online (crushed game boxes, delayed shipments, backordered products, incorrect order, etc...), so I still like the in person purchase if it is available close by.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
Nagold
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I buy
- from the local department store or drug store. Toy store rarely as its more expensive. Convenient and oftentimes theres a sale. And no shipping is a plus too. They are reasonably well stocked in the family and childrens game selection (Haba, Selecta, Kosmos, Ravensburger, Zoch, Schmidt, Hans im Glück, Hasbro, Lego, Abacus...)
- online too, depends on mood and game
- eBay for older common games, as they can be had for 1 or 1,50 euros often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of all the new games I got (so no trades or second hand games), all but 1 came from a 'real' store. Just once I ordered online, but even that was from a FLGS with a OLGS.

I just like shopping in a real store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board games addict
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rarely will I buy from the games store locally.

Most of the buying I do is online...

1. J&J games on Ebay - I have many buys from this fine Ebay seller

2. Individual Ebay sellers - I have picked up a couple games that I couldn't find elsewhere from other Ebay sellers and got good deals.

3. Boardgamegeek marketplace - I was able to get a hard to find game from the marketplace and was pleased with the purchase (Although it took a long time to get it because the seller was in Europe)

4. FunAgain Games - Have a lot of buys through this fine retailer too.

5. Boards and Bits - Bought a couple games from this online store and they are a very good one

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Although very rehashed, I think this is an important subject. I go to brick and mortar stores unless I have no other choice than to order online. Without brick and mortar stores I'd never started gaming at all. There are games I'd never encountered hadn't it been for the occasional store here and there, in Stockholm, Cambridge and Tokyo.

The argument that "of course I buy online, it's cheaper!" (that I haven't heard in this thread, I have to say) is making me depressed. Things aren't automatically better just because they're cheaper. Ripping something I wrote a couple of weeks ago:

Zimeon wrote:
The internet's here to stay, indeed, but personally I have large doubts as to whether cheap online shops is a good thing in the long run, for our hobby and hobbies in general. Here in Sweden, book shops are closing down one after the other, not being able to compete with the online prices. I lived near one of Swedens' biggest shopping malls with over 250 shops. One bookstore that struggled – a large chain shop. One shop for video games – a large chain shop. No hobby shop. No shop for paint and tools. About 200 stores for clothes/shoes, most of them not part of a large chain, but unique. I know clothes can be more "varied" and that shops can profile in style and price, and I know clothes play a larger role in our society than other things might do, but it's still a depressing ratio.

Brick'n'mortar shops have played a very big role in my gaming life, and I believe they mean a lot to broaden the hobby, at least here in Sweden. A nice shop in a nice place, or even if book stores or video game stores carried board games, would mean much for the hobby. But they're all closing down, because people shop cheaply on the net. They can't compete. So they close down and another shoe shop pops up in their place. And board games turn even more into that "obscure thing you can only buy in speciality shops".

And thinking about it… games are stuff that takes time. You'll have a game for years and years and years. Paying $50 instead of $40 is ratshit in the long run. I think it's less important to focus on "cheapest possible" and more to focus on what the money really goes to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
If you're only buying 1 game online, or sometimes 2, the savings in cost are invariably offset by the added expenditure of postage. This usually means that, even if cheaper than a shop, you will be saving merely a few £s - this is easily countered by the bonus of being able to walk into a shop, take your game from the shelf, go home and immediately play without having to wait several days.

However, the local FLGS in my town is not really much of a boardgame shop at all. It has a lot of chess sets, puzzles, and a plethora of CGGs (probably their most important revenue source if the horde of teenage virgins cluttering the gaming table are anything to go by) but the selection of what BGG users would generally look for in games is notably absent - even popular or new titles. Consequently, I don't even waste my time looking for something there and simply order online. They are, however, good for small immediate purchases such as card protectors, dice, etc.

If they offered a good selection then I would be more than willing to purchase games from them with regularity but, as they don't, I go online. Maybe they'd be willing to order in but as I've never seen any signs to that effect, I don't care to do their job for them and solicit such such a service, and online is almost invariably quicker and easier, I don't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guest Starring...
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't imagine buying games online.

I really enjoy having good FLGSs where I live, just as I enjoy cafes, independent bookstores, quirky little shops, and real neighborhoods. It's simply a quality of life issue. I also realize that FLGSs are a somewhat endangered species, and that if we want them to be around twenty years down the road, we need to support them.

Besides, FLGSs offer demos, freebies, convention invites, networking opportunities, promos, easy exchanges, no wait time, no need to order in bulk, no damage from shipping.

Plus, in the long run, my FLGSs have even saved me money compared with online alternatives. Certainly not on every purchase, but in the long run, they've given me more game for my buck.

Why on earth would I shop elsewhere?

Now this isn't a rant against online dealers. They're perfect for those who live eight hours away from an FLGS, and it's great that they make the hobby accessible to people everywhere. There are definitely some good ones out there, including some who are active on the geek. Kudos to those folks.

But if you live near a good FLGS (emphasis on good), consider yourself fortunate and buy your games there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marvin
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
I think it's less important to focus on "cheapest possible" and more to focus on what the money really goes to.

That is all very noble, but not everyone is in a financial position to do that. I buy everything from my FLG simply because I can financialy. I've known the owners for more than 10 years now and I can't see myself buying games online. I gladly pay 5, 10 or 15 euro's more because of the benefits:

- I can take the game home NOW
- I can check the box in the store (I am OCD to the max...making sure rules are aligned with the back and front of the box when packing up a game OCD...)
- I get to talk to the owners, other customers about the games (and comics) I buy
- I get to support a FLGS/comics shop which is almost unique in my country and certainly in a 50/60 mile radius.

I am fortunate in having a FLGS within a ten minute walk (although my girlfriend disagrees ) and being able to spend a few euros more for a game to get thos benefits. But yes, I understand completely that one would buy online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guest Starring...
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EuroHobbes wrote:
Zimeon wrote:
I think it's less important to focus on "cheapest possible" and more to focus on what the money really goes to.

That is all very noble, but not everyone is in a financial position to do that.

True, but there's more than one of of looking at it. I can go into my FLGS and spend €2 (and have done so). Try and do that online and you'll pay considerably more than that in shipping costs.

And if you spend enough that you cross the free shipping threshold, you also have the option of buying at your FLGS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I typically buy as much online as possible for maximum discount. Also buy games that I will NOT bring into certain FLGS that also sell the same game. See below....

I game rather often at a place that sells board games, so I'll buy at that particular FLGS for the following reasons.....

--I want to play that game in that group. The people who run that place aren't idiots. They know that there are multitudes of online vendors that sell the same games for much cheaper. However, to keep awkwardness as low as possible, I will buy games that I want to play from them to feel good about that whole situation (a bit shameless I admit).

--I'll buy stuff from them if the game is no more than say $10 vs online....

--I plan on going to them for gaming often, which so far I do.

--I want the game sooner than later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/3476893

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rami Finkelshtein
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Just another day on the staircase
mbmbmbmbmb
I am lucky to have a store close to me that rivals most of online store prices (they are usually about a $1 or $2 off) plus considering that I am in Canada and all of the US cross border sales are absolutely outrageous I would have to purchase something like $300 of games in the US to make it worth it with the shipping (and i'm not willing to do that) even with Canadian stores unless I am doing a local pick up the shipping usually gets rid of most of the savings. I just find it easier to go to my good ol cheap store (may I add this store does not have gaming area or anything like that they are just really cheap, really helpful and do custom orders. Thats all it takes)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
EuroHobbes wrote:
That is all very noble, but not everyone is in a financial position to do that. I buy everything from my FLG simply because I can financialy.

Really, I think that argument fails. I'm going to be mean in this post, but… If someone is so poor they REALLY can't pay an extra $10 for a game, then they're not in position to buy games at all. For the rest, games are things that last, they take time to enjoy. If someone is buying so many games that what they can save per game by buying cheaply online adds up to considerable sums of money, they're definitely not in a position where they can't financially pay.

I can imagine the gamer who's really short of money and who saves up $100 in 6 months or a year and who finally can buy some games and the $100 is the full budget, and he can get one extra game for $20 if they buy online. Sure, I can.

But somehow, I don't think that's how the majority shops games. I think most game buyers actually COULD pay the brick'n'mortar price if there was no other choice. At least if they like the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
I will buy online if I am ordering enough games that it will work out to an extra game free (price wise). Otherwise I would probably get the game in store. Somewhat new to the wide world of board gaming so I don't really have ties to any stores having been introduced to games by my friends. I could buy it in store but I would rather pay less for the same thing (for example $74 for Twilight Imperium online or $100 in store here - just bought Agricola online for $53 when it is $75 in store).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a few FOLGSs and one FLTS. That's all I need, really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.