Popular Tags: [View All]
John Rivera
Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Well, Before our first game, we were short one player, I decided to invite my neighbour. I got heavily critisized by him for painting my
black pieces. He said I ruined my game and now it has no value !
I do not have any intention to give the game away.

I really could not tell the difference between green and black pieces so I did a good job hand paint them to Chaos Black color. (games workshop calls it chaos).

Is it just me or has anyone had any difficulty with this issue ?

To make matters worst, he won the overall points with his purple armies.

He also said this game is similar to the game Britannia but not as much fun as that game.

None of us could argue with him about the game Britannia. We never played it. He said he has a copy of the game and when one player asked perhaps we can play that game next weekend, he suggested we should stick with our miniature game and leave the Britannia with experts.

Not a way I wanted to remember the first time playing HOTW. but
I still love the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Your neighbor sounds like a douchebag.
If painting the pieces makes it easier to distinguish between the different teams, then go for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played them both and I prefer History of the World. My biggest complaint about Britannia is the way the victory points work. Because there are much larger victory points for certain objectives, it is more scripted. If you have such-and-such army, you'll want to attack such-and-such province in order to get the most points. Because the victory points in HotW are more generalized, it feels like you have more options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zippadeedoodah
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fun is rather subjective. I have owned both games for many years, played both quite a few times and like both in their own right. I enjoy Britannia's chits as well as History of the World's plastic bits. Both games are quite fun to play for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game has the weirdest colors for the player pieces. The two different shades of green are what really bother me.

I like History of the World. A similar game about just Britain just doesn't interest me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
Both games fall into what Lew Pulsipher (designer of Britannia) likes to describe as "span of history" games. They certainly do that - even if in HotW it is in a somewhat more abstract way.

HotW scales for a variable number of players (but more is always better), while Brit was designed for four players (two and three player options are available but are of questionable value). Brit is a longer playing game but both need to be finished for proper player balance.

As for the production values, I guess it comes down to what your personal preferences are in such things. As for me, I like the figs in the Hasborg version of HotW over the confusing back-printed counters in the AH version (and I can be a sucker for the "high toy value" in such things as much as the next fellow), and I also much prefer the size and quality of the cards in the newer edition. As for Brit, the Phalanx inspired component quality of the map board, the artwork and oversize bevelled counters, make this game a thing of beauty as well. Figs might have been made to work but would have made the game into a really "big box" game - uneccessarily so in this case.

Both games have been criticised for being scripted. I don't necessarily see this as a bad thing considering the quasi-historical nature of their designs. While not intended as simulations, these games purport to tell the story of civilization (HotW), or Britain (Brit) and that things tend to follow what actually ocurred should not come as a surprise - they were designed to follow the story arc, much as with War of the Ring (to similar criticism as well). I suppose you can't win in this regard - witness the amount of criticism that surrounded Paths of Glory for being ahistorical and which spawned a near official version referred to as the "historical variant" (officially adopted by the WBC I'm told). So now is PoG too scripted? If there was to be an ahistorical version of Brit, I wonder what it would look like - and further, what would be the point?

In any event, they are both great games - I'll happily play Brit any time I have four players willing, and if we are five or six, the nod will go to HotW - if it is a span of history experience we are after...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re game collectibility, someone who wants to play it won't care about the painted piece set as long as they're in good condition and consistent in color.

A "collector" might be more discriminating, but big deal. If you ever want to sell it, somebody will buy it.

Your neighbor sounds like a pompous ass (and is probably jealous of your owning the game to boot).

Folks like that don't get invited back to my place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer Britannia but I wouldn't play it with your neighbour as he sounds like he'd make any game a crap experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My history of the world version uses counters.

Ahistorical variant for Britannia: the similar game Hispania has such a variant- instead of the specific VP awards for certain areas you get in the normal game you just score 1 Vp for highlands and 2 for lowlands (or something like it).

Of course, its quite likely that changing the scoring destroys game balance...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
questfordragonlords wrote:
He also said this game is similar to the game Britannia but not as much fun as that game.

I don't see the similarities myself, outside of both games having pieces.

Quote:
None of us could argue with him about the game Britannia. We never played it. He said he has a copy of the game and when one player asked perhaps we can play that game next weekend, he suggested we should stick with our miniature game and leave the Britannia with experts.

"Leave Britannia to the experts?" I'd leave the "expert" sitting at home with nothing to do the next time you game. What a snooty comment.

I'd strongly recommend trying Brit any chance you get. Preferably with someone that knows the game, almost certainly with someone other than this guy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Forster
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll just throw in here with the most important issue:

Your neighbor should be left to play Britannia by himself while you have a blast with whatever game you're enjoying. Seriously, the guy sounds like the sort of ass that (too often) drives people away from boardgaming and leads to those oh-so-common stereotypes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.