Doug Cooley
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Me rocking out with my band, which you can hear at www.raindriver.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Checked the rules and didn't see this mentioned directly.

If you are climbing a cliff/bluff and will begin/end adjacent to a German unit (which would normally require infiltration movement if it was simply a move action), do you undergo the process for infiltration? If so, does it happen at the point where the counter actually moves from one hex to the next? Or is this action not allowed if the entire move takes place next to Germans?

I ran into this in the introductory scenario as I was trying to clear the WNs on the west side of the East sector (the red ones) but the upper hex is on a bluff and can't be attacked without a unit on the higher ground, and the only slope up is up the draw (more time than I had to work with).

Thanks. Loving this game, have a tutorial going on my blog at dugsreports.blogspot.com. Am up to turn 2 on it, and plan to add to it as new concepts come up in my game.

Doug

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Rompot
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the case you are referencing, I play that you would move the unit, place a climb counter on it for going up a bluff, and then check for infiltration since both hexes contain a fire dot from and adjacent to the same German WN unit.

I usually channel my troops up the slope that is one hex to the right (west) of the location you are climbing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Summers
United States
Potomac Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's a good question. I've been playing it you only check for infiltration attacks on the first move (where you place the climb marker).

But I could see, since the climb action takes two turns, that it would also be reasonable to conduct the infiltration check both turns.

Hopefully Mr. Butterfield can clarify it for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Butterfield
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
The infiltration check is made only once when climbing a bluff or cliff, when you actually move the unit across the bluff or cliff hexside. In your situation Doug, I assume a US unit is climbing a bluff from hex 0818 to 0919. In the first turn of the climb would move the unit across the bluff and conduct the check. In your next turn you would remove the climb marker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Cooley
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Me rocking out with my band, which you can hear at www.raindriver.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent. That's the way I read it because of the use of the word "move", but there are a lot of rules that use a single word that has a specific game meaning in other ways. For example, the use of the word "range" in Devil's Cauldron.

Thanks John (et al). I appreciate your excellent support of what is rapidly becoming my favorite solitaire wargame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.