Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So there doesn't seem to be much serious discussion of game balance around (at least as compared to, say, BSG.) So here's a poll and hopefully some discussion.

(Please pay attention to what number of players you're talking about when answering.)

Poll
1. With 3 heroes...
  Sauron won almost every game Sauron won more often than the heroes Things were about even The heroes won more often than Sauron The heroes won almost every game
Early in the learning curve
After a few games
After a lot of games
2. With 2 heroes...
  Sauron won almost every game Sauron won more often than the heroes Things were about even The heroes won more often than Sauron The heroes won almost every game
After a few games
After a lot of games
3. With 1 hero...
After a few games
After a lot of games
4. With 3 heroes, over time...
The game balanced itself out, more or less
The game stayed balanced
The game stayed unbalanced
The game became unbalanced in the opposite direction
5. With 2 heroes, over time...
The game stayed balanced
6. With 1 hero, over time...
The game stayed balanced
      47 answers
Poll created by coolpapa

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I know that there are more variables affecting balance than number of players, but that seems to be the clearest one. In the 1-hero game, in particular, the hero choice seems to have a huge effect. I've only played one 1-hero game, but Thalin was a beast in it....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played twice so far, so not enough usable data.

First game: 2-player, I walked away with it as Thalin

Second game: 3-player, convincing win for Sauron against the elf scout and mounted fighter (can't keep the generic names in mind!)

Neither game was close. Luck was noticeably in Sauron's favor in the second game while Sauron probably fumbled the opening couple turns in the first game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No 3-Hero games for me, but it took 13 games for the Heroes (1- or 2-Hero games) to win by Mission for the first time. I think Heroes have 3 wins by Mission in 17 games (2 or 3 more in final combat).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kostek
United States
Camano Island
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've played twice now w/ 4 players (3 heroes). Both games have been close.

The biggest variable seems to be the secret mission, IMO.

I don't necessarily regard this as a big problem. One thing I'm looking for in a quest game is a different experience each time. It also adds replay value, IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean D.
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played enough to submit my vote just yet. In the 3 full games we have finished the results have been:
1 hero win in finale (1 hero) - this was the closest one
1 Sauron win in finale (3 heroes) - 3 newbie heroes against a very aggressive Sauron who had super dominance
1 Sauron win by mission (3 heroes) - heroes didn't knock out the plots fast enough, they got too busy going for more training instead of fighting the shadow... sauron

I am not sure how this will change as my group gets to play more.

Editted for typos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof Janski
Poland
flag msg tools
mb
I think the game is extremely well balanced (at least with 2 heroes). Both sides have equal chances to win and usually the game is tight and exciting (in my case there was only one exception, when Sauron [me ] crushed the heroes by advancing the black marker to the finale space). Sauron though has a much more demanding task, but it's logical - getting influence in Middle-Earth isn't easy and if you are an Evil Lord you have to work hard sauron And the heroes are just running around and destroying evil plots and intrigues...just like common pests. So, again, both sides have equal chances to win, but Sauron needs to put more effort in winning it, because usually he is the chasing side.

Of course you can get a difficult mission (but all mission can be done), but hey - if you don't succeed you have the final battle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orcanthropy
United States
Edina
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
designed scaling balance?
Having only played a couple games, does anybody else notice any scaling at all in this game? I find it devoid of any scaling difficulty regarding how many players are playing. Sauron is just as powerful with 1,2,or 3 heroes so of course its easier for him to win with less playing. Am I missing something here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jayrome007 wrote:
Am I missing something here?

Yeah, your comments don't any make sense at all. Have you actually read the rules? With one hero, the hero gets 2 Hero turns for each Sauron turn. With two heroes, each hero gets 1 Hero turn for each Sauron turn, so the total is the same. With three heroes, each hero gets 1 Hero turn for each Sauron turn, but Sauron gets to do 50% more during his turn, so the ratio is the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cawley
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David - in the 3 hero game the extra Sauron *action* does balance, but the plot phase one at a time restriction and the starting cards, influence, and plot do not improve. He also doesn't get any more minions.

There is only one item favoring Sauron in the 3 hero game - favor. It mostly comes from the turn's event and doesn't get any looser with 3, while corruption as a favor-sink typically does.

Overall I think the heroes are definitely stronger with 3 - but poor play can throw it away. (Favor too distributed to dismiss plots, too many greedy players taking buff over favor when talking to people, or to dismiss their personal corruption, etc).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.