Subject: Any ADMINS on right now? Have a query! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Figsak FTW
United States
Lavergne
Tennessee
flag msg tools
I have a NON board gaming event I'd like to invite guys in my area to assuming the subject interests them.

I had planned on posting it on the South East forum.

I just want to check and see if posting off topic subjects like that is allowed. It's technically a wanted ad for participants in UFC PPV gatherings I have. It'd be a great way for me to find guys in my area who share 2 subjects that are passions of mine. Obviously if they're signed up here they're BG fans. So if they just happen to be interested in my PPV gatherings as well, that'd be a jackpot. laugh

I wont post it unless I get a green light from an admin first.

What say you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Saddleback, covered by a blanket of winter snow
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Any mods on right now? Have a query!
I believe you mean an Admin(istrator), not a mod(erator). Moderators are anyone who wants to moderate pictures and such. You can edit your message and title by clicking on Edit to the lower right of your message.

Opinion: I would say no because if everyone starts doing it, too much non-gaming info gets posted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Figsak FTW
United States
Lavergne
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Re: Any mods on right now? Have a query!
Well yes. I'm not familiarized with the lingo here yet. Generally a MOD is someone who is given authority to moderate a forum by admins. That doesn't seem to be the case at this site, and it's a healthy change.

Also, I'd typically agree with your idea that off-topic stuff could have a degenerative effect, but in this case it's technically a BG related topic.

The point of my ad would be to attract ppl who like BG's AND MMA, not just MMA. Anyone who actually showed up to my PPV gatherings would almost by default become a regular gaming partner of mine. Sharing 2 interests between 2 ppl is a rare thing.

I've read the forum rules over completely and there's no rules against this off-topic type event posting. I'm just using precautions here just in case this is a no no subjuect that the "admins" just haven't thought of yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Figsak wrote:
I've read the forum rules over completely and there's no rules against this off-topic type event posting. I'm just using precautions here just in case this is a no no subjuect that the "admins" just haven't thought of yet.

However, the general rule in board games is anything not permitted is forbidden: Trading, negotiation, alliances--otherwise, every game becomes the same or rules have to be ridiculously long. No, probably no one stated explicitly, "Forum posts have to be related to the forum topic," but it is understood. But as I say, just my non-authoritative opinion.

I'm confident an Admin will get back to you. Weekends tend to be slower than weekdays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Figsak FTW
United States
Lavergne
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Quote:
However, the general rule in board games is anything not permitted is forbidden

It's not like I'm trying to get the admins to clarify some vague hypothetical like asking whether speaking curse words in Klingon to imaginary posters is acceptable just to get a kick out of exploiting rule exclusions.

This rule is common on most forum communities. I'm just wondering that since it is such a common rule, and this forum is by no means "new", that it's an issue that would have come up by now and they would have clarified specific rules against it in the short list of forum rules.

I understand what you're trying to get across to me. You're using ethereal BG logic and trying to apply it to another media entirely. Though amusing, it doesn't really apply.

I prefer the old MTG ethereal rules. When rules aren't specifically stated, I have the right to throw things and act like a baby until you let me have my way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim - African River
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Figsak wrote:
I understand what you're trying to get across to me. You're using ethereal BG logic and trying to apply it to another media entirely. Though amusing, it doesn't really apply.

I think he gave you good feedback. This is not a general community site, it is a board game site. Surely there are UFC-related forums where such a notice would be appropriate, and reach the people who are interested.

Why not post your notice on one of those, and stick to board games when you post here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Figsak FTW
United States
Lavergne
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Becuase I'm trying to kill 2 birds with one stone, and I'd get a much better reception inviting BG fans to my MMA gatherings than I would inviting MMA fans to my BG gatherings. In fact I'd probably be heckeled right out of the room. I just assumed you guys would be more receptive to varying interests. According to the limited feedback I've received on it so far, it looks like my assumptions were wrong.

To put it another way, would you all be opposed to beautiful BG playing women placing ads on regional BGG forums to meet, and possibly date BGG members? Probably not. But according to the logic you've both provided me, this behavior would also be opposed (in a perfectly fair world).

I'm trying to find ppl who are interested in both subjects, not just one. Thats something I've already explained twice.

Also, I'm not looking to post this gathering ad in the General discussion forum. I'm specifically looking to post it in the SE forum where only a select number of guys who live in my general area will see it. If they aren't interested they're free to ingore it. The few guys that ARE interested in it will be greatly helped by meeting a fellow MMA and BG fanatic. If you yourself were such, you'd be estatic respond to an ad like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd probably say no as well, simply because of the probability that if allowed, such cross-hobby posting would become overwhelming, resulting in an unfavorable signal-to-noise ratio. BGG is a boardgaming site first and foremost. I would possibly suggest posting such a thing in the "Off Topic" forum, where anything goes, including such non-boardgaming topics as bacon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Figsak FTW
United States
Lavergne
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Tough crowd.

Fine, I give up.

I'm gonna go have some friggin bacon now... soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
We'd be HAPPY to have you within either this "Beatnik Coffee Haus" or "Chit Chat" on the matter. There's been discussion held upon "Blue Grass Festivals" in the former, and ANYTHING were just about allowed for the latter!
surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, as Grognads said, there are forums here explicitly for off-topic not-really-gaming related posts. Click "Forums" and look for "Post anything off topic or not gaming related here." ("Chit chat" forum.) Seems pretty clear you could post whatever announcements or other non-gaming stuff you like there.

PS: I have no idea what the UFC, PPV and MMA you mentioned are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might consider creating a Guild for UFC fans... or alternatively looking for those who have the UFC Microbadge

If you want to post in the forums though - I'd keep it to 'Chit Chat'.

Cheers,

Giles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
I would say no. Our regional forums are for board game related traffic. I appreciate what you're going for, but our localized forums aren't really designed for that kinda thing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, Derk.

(Sheesh, guys: Give the new guy some slack! He asked. Big points for that! No reason to dog-pile the guy,

(Grogs! *HIC* Useful and understandable??? You're slipping!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Figsak FTW
United States
Lavergne
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Quote:
(Sheesh, guys: Give the new guy some slack! He asked. Big points for that! No reason to dog-pile the guy

Yeah cry

I waved my white flag already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
I wouldn't worry too much about the dog pile. It happens, but has just as much upside if you were to ask a boardgame related question...

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
and yet YOU 'got' the "tip"? will *flounderings* NEVAH! cease to dismaze 'moi'? how DARE that! surprise
Tall_Walt wrote:
Thank you, Derk.

(Sheesh, guys: Give the new guy some slack! He asked. Big points for that! No reason to dog-pile the guy,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Figsak FTW
United States
Lavergne
Tennessee
flag msg tools
GROGnads wrote:
and yet YOU 'got' the "tip"? will *flounderings* NEVAH! cease to dismaze 'moi'? how DARE that! surprise
Tall_Walt wrote:
Thank you, Derk.

I feel like I need to get high before reading your posts to fully appreciate them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:

Here's your cut, Grogs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ph’nglui mglw’nfah Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn!
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Figsak wrote:
I feel like I need to get high before reading your posts to fully appreciate them.

Reading GROGnads' posts == getting high.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
MOAR GAMES
badge
Damn Dirty Ape I Love You
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:

Ultimate Fighting Championships, Pay Per View, Mixed Martial Arts.

UFC is an MMA league (basically, it's like a boxing league except with a lot more blood and a lot fewer rules). Most of their events are on pay per view (shell out $40 to watch a couple hours of fighting on a one-off basis). The PPV nature basically encourages people to get together in big groups to all watch the fights, and apparently play boardgames afterward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Figsak FTW
United States
Lavergne
Tennessee
flag msg tools
ze_stom wrote:
russ wrote:

Ultimate Fighting Championships, Pay Per View, Mixed Martial Arts.

UFC is an MMA league (basically, it's like a boxing league except with a lot more blood and a lot fewer rules). Most of their events are on pay per view (shell out $40 to watch a couple hours of fighting on a one-off basis). The PPV nature basically encourages people to get together in big groups to all watch the fights, and apparently play boardgames afterward.

You got that MOSTLY right.

#1. MMA on a whole has roughly the same amount of blood as boxing seeing as a certain percentage of fights tend to end in quick submissions without any strikes even landing.

#2. MMA has TONS more rules than boxing seeing as it's infinately more complex. The basic rules are simple though. No groin shots, no poking things, no small digit manipulation, no biting, you get the point.

#3. It's more like $45 but when you get 6-7 ppl there splitting the PPV, the cost is negligible. And it makes for a great get together.

#5. MMA then right to a board game? You just mentioned my idea of heaven.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Peacock
Canada
Montréal
quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm gonna go against the consensus and say that you should be allowed to post in your regional forum, after all, you're trying to start a local gaming group, with people who also enjoys MMA.

I don't see why that would be forbidden.
Its not as if your just trying to find people to split the bill of PPV.

Aren't the regional board used to organize gaming group? Couldn't that group be centered around another common interest beside boardgames?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Figsak FTW
United States
Lavergne
Tennessee
flag msg tools
dyvdav wrote:
I'm gonna go against the consensus and say that you should be allowed to post in your regional forum, after all, you're trying to start a local gaming group, with people who also enjoys MMA.

I don't see why that would be forbidden.
Its not as if your just trying to find people to split the bill of PPV.

Aren't the regional board used to organize gaming group? Couldn't that group be centered around another common interest beside boardgames?

Where were you 2 days ago man!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim - African River
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Figsak wrote:

Where were you 2 days ago man!

Doesn't really matter - Derk's answer is the one that counts. He's an Admin++.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.