Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Fraser
United States
Melissa
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
first play of Doctor Who after barely reading the rules. Seems simple enough. This report writen as done mostly to keep track of where I am on this first adventure and see where I went wrong. You will have forgive the spelling and grammer.

Choose Brains: 12 Brawn: 6 Bravery: 8
Traits Running *2, Engineering History, Science, Computers, Medicine, and Thief.
Start with Adventure A400,
Turn 1:

Looking around the TARDIS I scoop up 5 Jelly Babies. (Roll a 6 and get e182) Then detrmine that I am on Earth ( roll of 1 ) I decide to explore and discover nothing unusual, but an an event occurs (roll 8 ) and I meet an enemy ( roll 1) of V522 the fearsome Dr Lazarus. Brains 9 (moron) brawn 8 ( See v522a next, musclebound ) and Bravery 7 ( coward ) He has (v522a rolled a 10, then 3) rejuvenated, and is with 4 technicians ( Brain 6, Brawn 4, Bravery 5 )
DM +1
I can not oppose at this point so I choose to talk. I roll a 6 + 12( brains ) -2 ( not 2 science ) for total of 16. He rolls a 2 + 9 = 11, So I defeat him and choose to excape and gain a +1DM
DM +2

Turn 2:
Decide to seek information using History trait. Roll a 9+1 (trait) =10 giving a +1 DM
No encounter this turn with a 4 rolled.

Turn 3:
Seek information again with a 5+1 = 6 for no effect
Roll a 7 for a event, then a 5 for a Character event. Then roll a 2 for e049 -- Civilian Brain 6, brawn 4, Bravery 5 and roll a 9 so he joins as an ally for the adventure. Then roll for a ploy, but because I have had an enemy encoutner I roll for a Goal. Roll a 5 for goal 261. Break God-code Goal 4. -- So I think I need 2 more DM to oppose?

Turn 4:

Decide to plan with Brains rolling an 11 -- so brains now 15.
There is an event and it is an enemy event. Meeting doctor Lazarus again. Once again he is v522a ( rolled 11) and again he is only rejuvenated ( roll 4 ) and with 2 technitions. Again will talk. this time he rolls a 6 for 15 and The Doctor rolls a 1 for 16-2=14. I Surrender. The gravity is 4--e063 and I am Interrogated and break ( rolled a 9 ) Luck -2

Turn 5:
Attempt to escape- rolled 6 fails

Turn 6:
Attempt to escape - rolled 7 fails

Turn 7:
Attempt to escape -- roll 4, -1 luck to reroll a 6

turn 8:
Attempt to escape -- roll 10, finally escaped.
Encounter roll 4 so no encounter.

turn 9:
Plan - roll 6 for no effect.
Event roll 9 then 4-1 =3 for enemy encounter. This time he is with 2 technitions. Again will talk
He rolls a 1 for total of 10, while I don't roll because his puny mind can not defeat mine. I take +1 DM for total of 4 now I can oppose.

Turn 10. Plan roll 4 +1 is 5 for -1 DM
DM +3
event is 2.

Turn 11 -- Must Defeat the enemies at +3 roll a 4. Curses - use last luck point to reroll and get a 10 + 3 = 13 and Get the final enemy event.

Lazerus is the has transformed,
Dr who rolls a 6+2 for an 8 to run away.
The boy rolls an 8 to run away

Turn 12: move to e252 and do some shoping? Boy rolls a 10 to give +1 luck.
Lazerus follows and while the doctor tries to trick him the boy tries to delay. Doctor rolls a 6 for 9 points toward defeat. Boy rolls a 5, but luck -1, so he gets a 10 to avoid being eaten. Doctor rolls a 4 for another 11 points. This defeats Lazerus.

Notice I made 2 mistakes. The character encounter should have been Rose Tyler and I should have gained 2 luck. Rolled a 4 for her plot check so would have gotten the plot event anyway. Second mistake was not offering the jelly beans to Lazerus when I failed the talk check. Wouldn't have gone to jail then. As an adjustment I will end the round with Rose, and 2 luck, but keep the rest the same. Later I read that jelly babies only work on characters, so this wouldn't have worked anyway.

Aftermath
Gain 3 luck for a total of 5 luck.

Spend 4 luck to turn Rose Tyler into an Ally.

Rose Brains 5, Brawn 5, Bravery 6, Aware, Charisma, Computers, Running.

Adventure 2:
Luck starting at 1
Add 1 luck for companion. Luck now 2.

Vortex Roll 6 -- no vortex event.

Rolling on table eoo1b and get 2-1 for a410 Raxacoricofallapatorius -- 2006

Round 1: explore for 7 no effect.
event 9/1 Enemy. ( the second time to get enemy on turn 1) v503. The Slithen ( +1 Slithenn every encoutner because of location.)

DM -1
Rose is not a Slitheen ( roll of 4 )
There are 6 slitheen ( roll of 6 =5 +1 for location) Brain 6, Brawn 9, Bravery 5

First Rose and I attempt to hide, but they discover us ( roll 7 )
Then we attempt to Run, but the catch us ( roll 6 +2 =8 )
Then attempt to Talk, rolling an 8 > 12-5 = 7 and they are not convinced
Then the Slitheen attack.
group a of 3 slitheen with 15 brawn vs Doctor with 6 brawn
Group b of 3 slitheen wiht 15 brawn vs Rose with 5 brawn
Group a rolls a 3 for 18, Doctor rolls a 2 for 8 for a difference of 10 and a serious wound to the doctor.
Group b rolls a 5 for a 20 and Rose rols a 5 for a 10 for a difference of 10 and a serious wound.
We try to escape.
Doctor rolls a 8 + 2 = 10 and escapes.
Rose rolls a 5 + 1 = 6 and can not excape. Burn 1 luck for a 7+1 = 8 and not escape
Luck 1
Rose surrenders ( roll 5 -1 =4 ) and is taken to a cell e061. Rolls for Goal reveal is 2 and they do not Gloat.

doctor an Rose have Serious Wound and are at -2 for all Quantities and traits, -4 for Brawn.

The characters are now separated. Rose in jail and The doctor escaped.

Turn 2
Rose: attempts to escape but rolls a 5. then rolls a 3 which goes to e063: Interrogation. Rolls an 11 and must take -2DM as do not have enough luck to counter
DM -3.

Doctor: Rest but rolls a 7.

Event: no event rolls a 2.

Turn 3:
Doctor: Rescue attempt For Rose: but rolls a 3

Rose: attempts to excape, but rolls a 4 and fails Further attepts are at -1. e061 after escape result is 6 no further action.

Event: There is an event ( roll 10 ) it is a Location ( 6 ) e255 a famous landmark -- but is nothing because the enemy is revealed.

Turn 4:
Doctor Rescue attemp for rose: but rolls a 4.
Rose Attempts to escape - needs a 12, but rolls a 10. It is now impossible for Rose to excape. After escape attempt roll is a 3 for eo63 Interogated Nees a 4 but rolls an 8 and fails. -2DM
DM -5
Event: 6 = no event

Turn 5:
Do Seek information: Roll a 9+1 = 10 DM +1
DM at -4
Event there is an event 8, and it is a 1. Enemy. This time there are 4 Slitheen.
Try to hide. Need an 11 ( remember - 2 for wound ) but fail with a 7.
Try to evade. Need an 9 and get it.

Turn 6:
Rose: Cant escape but rolls a 5 for no further events.
Doctor: trys seek information and rolls a 6 + 1 ( History ) and gets + 1 to seek information next turn.

Event: roll is 8. Event is 5 Character. Character e023 Scientist. Type roll 4 +1 for enemy = 5 and is an Young Archeologist Brain 6, Brawn 3, Bravery 3 ( History, Minion, Running, Victim ) who Joins as an Ally. Brains roll for Plot fails with an 8.

Turn 7
rose: Can't escape, but rolls a 6 for no further events.
Doctor: Seeks information at +2 now. Rolls a 4 which becomes a 6 for no effect.

Event. There is a Character event (6 then 5) e026 ( a 1) Alien AMbassador Moxx of Balhoon ( roll 4 ) Brain 5, Brawn 1, Bravery 4 ( Bureaucrate, History, Marksman, Poision, Screamer, Victim ) The ambassador listens politely but then leaves ( roll 7)

Turn 8
Rose, Can't escape, but rolls a 1 and is marked for execution.
Doctor: seeks information rolling an 8 +1 for 9. for a Plot event. The plot is converted to a goal because the Enemey is revield. The goal is e167 Goal 5, DM -1 penelaty
DM -5

Event: No event

Turn 9
Rose: can escape on a 12, dead on a 4. Rolls a 6 and she is not executed. Note that here I distingush between roll and result. The result I assume is modified where the roll is not. Because of the serious wound, she would have been exedcuted otherwise.

Doctor. finally have a goal so will plan brains and rolls a 12. Brains now a 15.

Event Is event ( rolled 6 ) ane is an Event 3 (e079) Bad weather. Doctor fails bravery roll (10) luck reroll for (9) and dies of bad weather.

Final reflections
I totally forgot that I had thief, or I would have tried to rescue Rose. The Rules for healing are really brutal if you are the one injured. I am going to take more thief next time as being locked up is really really bad. I wonder if I played it right When Rose was a prisoner. Should she have taken turns as a separate group?

Just about to play it again, and see if I can get past the second adventure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Firstly, thank you for trying the game and taking the trouble to post this report.

I hope you enjoyed it. If you can, please record the play and rate the game.

Now for what happened...

1. A newish tweak only allows you to take each Trait once at the start of the game. I would have chosen Charisma rather than that second Running

2.Dr Lazarus is Brawn 2 - not 8! Even rejuvanated it is 'rasie to 6' not 'by 6'

3.As you say, the first Character event should be Rose.

4. On turn 12, it's not actually shopping, but that the creature has obviously gone on the rampage through a shopping centre...imagine it rampaging through Harrods...

5.At the end of the adventure, why spend the luck to turn Rose into an Ally? She's a Companion. This also continues into Adv2 - why gain 1 Luck for Rose??

6. Rose would not be a Slitheen anyway - it's only Allies, not Companions

7. I'd surrender with those big groups of Slitheen...

8. When captured, don't roll for events outside the capture event

9. Yes, your assumption is correct with roll and result - just because Rose is Seriouly Wounded doesn't mean her chances of getting executed increase - but her chances of escape ARE.

10. Yu did have bad luck on the Slitheen planet - but then you should have started out with more LUck points.

11.When you have 2 groups - as when the Doctor and Rose were separated - each takes a 'turn'- has a chance for an Action and (if not captured) rolls for an encounter.

12. Yes the combat rules and wounding are fierce.Although the TARDIS Characters do have a break against other Characters...

I hope you play more of the game and let us hear your adventures.

As a little tweak for the first adventure, when the Enemy is revealed, gain an additional +1DM. That would make it a bit easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now you know why Tom Baker had that scarf...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Fraser
United States
Melissa
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dragoncymru wrote:

7. I'd surrender with those big groups of Slitheen...

This isn't that important but it seems to me that surrendering is the incorrect choice. Even if the Doctor had surrendered immediately, there is still a 3/6 or 18 in 36 chance of being attacked anyway. ( this goes up to 4 in 6 after the failed evade attempt ) But if you talk there is only a 15 in 36 (42%) chance of being attacked anyway. You have about a 16% better chance of avoiding a fight with the Slitheen by talking.

The only way this make sense is if you are saying that you are allowed to attempt to surrender after being attacked but before the fight begins. This can not be right because then the surrender option would recurs. Doctor Surrenders -- roll a 1, they attack, before the fight Doctor Surrenders -- roll a 1, they attack .......

Or... I totally misunderstand something. Not a big deal either way.

Anyway the correct choice here would have been to burn a luck to re-roll the talk attempt as this is where the chances were best to both avoid the fight and get a DM+1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I'd try:
1. Hiding
2. Talking
3. Evading
4. Surrender

in that order!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.