Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Smith
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As these have all hit the market at more or less the same time (Mayday and Fantasy Flight Card sleeves), are they just re-packaging the same item with their own brand or are there quality differences.

On a side note, anyone know a UK stockist of FF Sleeves?

Edit Addition

Please ignore, found answers in links in the Half size card protectors? thread. (Not same and lots of info in that thread if anyone else looking)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Weber
Germany
Augsburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also a third competitor, Arcane Tinmen (Dragon Shield):
http://www.arcanetinmen.dk/index.php?id=97

Their sleeves are available now at least in the Nordic Countries and Germany, I don't know about the UK though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayday Games
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcane and FFG are made in Taiwan and Mayday are made in China... not sure that means much, but there are differences for sure. FFG sleeves are 100 Microns and Mayday is only 90 microns thick on our Premium sleeves.

There are some reviews at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/436707

and

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/151124/page/2

The only real differences seem to be price (FFG is $3 MSRP per 50 while Mayday is $2.50 for 50) and length as FFG are slightly longer than Mayday. Glen Oakland has confirmed what we mentioned last week... the FFG sleeves for Dominion at least do NOT fit back in the box at all. Mayday's do fit but barely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Dominion today with FFG sleeves on the cards. I've not played sleeves very often. The one thing that was really annoying was that the corners were super sharp. You know when you pick up a pile of cards going in all directions, stand them up and roll them all facing the same way with your hand? I couldn't do that with these sleeves. It hurt too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayday Games
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
I played Dominion today with FFG sleeves on the cards. I've not played sleeves very often. The one thing that was really annoying was that the corners were super sharp. You know when you pick up a pile of cards going in all directions, stand them up and roll them all facing the same way with your hand? I couldn't do that with these sleeves. It hurt too much.

A lot of that is related to the thickness of the sleeve. All sleeves have corners of course but the thicker/stronger the material the more resistance they will have and the sharper the corners will feel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave NP
United States
PRINCETON
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mb
I gotta tell you; I bought a bunch of sleeves from Mayday recently: Euro size for Dominion, mini USA for the small Arkham Horror Cards and Standard USA for the large Arkham Cards and Descent (plus all Descent expansions!) cards.

The Euro and mini USA fit fine, but the Standard USA did not fit the Arkham and Descent cards, despite what it says on the Mayday website. It comes very close (about halfway with a struggle), but that's as close as it comes. Annoyingly, I managed to bend a Mythos card in a frustration-fueled attempt at forcing it. And even if you get the card most of the way in, it will start to curve slightly lengthwise under the pressure.

I bought quite a few packs and sampled sleeves from a bunch of them, but it was the same story. I haven't tried the Fantasy Flight sleeves...although they say they are the same size, I have to assume they'd fit their own games, and it's certainly a matter of much less than a millimeter of space that is needed.

I'm hoping the Standard USAs will fit my Ticket to Ride 1910 cards at least, but either way I have a lot of packs I can't use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hargraves
United States
Danbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a similar issue that I posted about over here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/3946833#3946833

Seth mentions a version 2.0 of the USA Standard Sleeves that they will roll out in the next batch. These will be a little wider to fit the FFG cards as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayday Games
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We are aware of this issue and since the USA sleeves fit so well on MOST games we don't want to loosen them up just for a few. Instead we are releasing two new sizes of sleeves to allow for the games between the euro card sleeve and the USA sleeve. Anyone who got some USA that wants to trade for the newer once can do so at no cost. See our thread about this at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/444751
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a similar issue (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/3977407#3977407) with FFG's Chaos in the Old World.

The Mayday sleeves I bought wouldn't accommodate the cards in the game; after getting out my ruler I realised this was because the cards are actually substantially larger than the standard US size, and larger than the marked size of the appropriate FFG sleeves.

The FFG card sleeves do fit the cards, but only because they are much bigger than the dimensions they advertise. Frankly, I'm pretty pissed off that FFG has screwed me around like this and will avoid their sleeves in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayday Games
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew, yes we are aware of the issue. I agree it is strange that FFG would make a game and then release a sleeve with one stated size while the cards themselves AND the sleeves are about 1.5 to 2 MM LARGER than advertised.

If you email us at maydaygames@gmail.com we can gladly exchange the USA size ones for the Chimera that will be in stock in 2-3 weeks. You may want to check with BoardGameExtras.UK and see if they can exchange them too, they are our authorized distributor in the UK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Roth
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Have been using the FFG limited edition art sleeves for Magic events and, while they are a bit expensive, I have found them fantastic. Not a single split yet, no real wear, etc. $12 for enough for one deck is expensive, they also look shaaaarp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ubik2000 wrote:
I gotta tell you; I bought a bunch of sleeves from Mayday recently: Euro size for Dominion, mini USA for the small Arkham Horror Cards and Standard USA for the large Arkham Cards and Descent (plus all Descent expansions!) cards.

The Euro and mini USA fit fine, but the Standard USA did not fit the Arkham and Descent cards, despite what it says on the Mayday website. It comes very close (about halfway with a struggle), but that's as close as it comes. Annoyingly, I managed to bend a Mythos card in a frustration-fueled attempt at forcing it. And even if you get the card most of the way in, it will start to curve slightly lengthwise under the pressure.

I just spent $30 on Mayday "Standard American" sleeves for my Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay game and they don't fit the cards. Like the above poster, I measured the cards and found they're BIGGER then advertised. Plus, you can't even find FFG sleeves in that size right now so I couldn't get them if I wanted them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Vollick
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mayday's mini American didn't fit either Battlestar Galactica cards (the small ones) or Chaos in the Old World (again the small ones). The cards were just fractionally too large for the sleeves. I had to use the mini-Euros and there a little too much wiggle in those but whatever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayday Games
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ixnay66 wrote:
I just spent $30 on Mayday "Standard American" sleeves for my Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay game and they don't fit the cards. Like the above poster, I measured the cards and found they're BIGGER then advertised. Plus, you can't even find FFG sleeves in that size right now so I couldn't get them if I wanted them.

Are you guys looking at the list of sleeves at www.maydaygames.com/sleeves.xls ?

The Warhammer cards are the size of the Chimera Sleeves (orange package). They were never intended to be matched up with the Standard American. Please email us directly and we will be more than happy to exchange them for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayday Games
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vollick1979 wrote:
Mayday's mini American didn't fit either Battlestar Galactica cards (the small ones) or Chaos in the Old World (again the small ones). The cards were just fractionally too large for the sleeves. I had to use the mini-Euros and there a little too much wiggle in those but whatever.

Matt, the Chaos in the Old World are showing as mini Chimera sized on our chart and we will change the sleeve list for Battlestar Galactica to Mini Chimera as well.

Basically the Chimera and Mini-Chimera were intended to fit the odd FFG card size in most cases. Be sure to check against the sleeves file before buying to ensure the best fit. We are more than happy to help you out and exchange if you get a size that doesn't work for you.

Please continue to give us input on sizing and we will keep the list up to date. We only know what you guys email or post on threads like this as we don't own every single game out there, unlike some of you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Martin
Canada
Torbay
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know why either company has these sleeves, since they never have them in stock. And it's definitely a supply issue, since I doubt Alchemy moved that many boxes of Dominion.

Plus, apparently the "standard" euro sleeves are glorified penny sleeves, which are a complete waste of time, unless you like constantly adjusting your cards and replacing them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Galaxy is Just Packed!
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say, give Mayday your business simply because Seth is here and providing candid, spin-free commentary on his product and honest comparisons to his competitors.

How refreshing!

thumbsup x 1,000,000
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Martin
Canada
Torbay
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bryanwinter wrote:
I have to say, give Mayday your business simply because Seth is here and providing candid, spin-free commentary on his product and honest comparisons to his competitors.

How refreshing!

:thumbsup: x 1,000,000

I would, if they had their product in stock, or if they had even HAD it in stock sometime over the last 2 months.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayday Games
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anjohl wrote:
Plus, apparently the "standard" euro sleeves are glorified penny sleeves, which are a complete waste of time, unless you like constantly adjusting your cards and replacing them.

Jason, if you've tried our standard sleeves and found these to be a complete waste of time that's totally fine, and we can respectfully disagree there. The word "apparently" in your post seems to indicate you haven't actually tried them though? We have heard many others indicate that the premium thickness sleeves are the only way to go, yet our standard thickness sleeeves out sell the premiums by about 5 to 1. Most people can justify $10-12 on sleeves for a $45 game that is essentially just 500 cards, especially given that you can fit the cards back in the game box specifically because they are thinner.

If you look at FFG's $3/pack sleeves (or even our $2.50/pack premiums) that don't fit back in the box, the $30 investment to sleeve a $45 game just doesn't make as much sense to most people. Again this is just what we have heard from customers and seen with their purchase choices.

We did have the standard euro sleeves in stock for at least 6 weeks with our last restock but sold out of them again on July 10. We are getting another batch on Aug. 4, and we had planned to keep them in stock for a while but we are taking 1,000 packs of them to GenCon with us and have had orders from a lot of distributors/retailers in the last week or so. If you ordered from our site today you would have them shipping to you by this Wednesday at the latest.

Anjohl wrote:
I would, if they had their product in stock, or if they had even HAD it in stock sometime over the last 2 months.

We have had these in stock for several weeks at a time at least 4-5 times this year. We'd love to have you put an order in and we will get it filled ASAP. We have had the black-backed euro sized sleeves in stock continually since their release a couple of months ago and the premium euro sleeves will be back in on Aug. 4 as well.

Sorry we don't have the ability to get larger batches each time, we are at the mercy of our cash flow and our distributors to guess how many to produce. One distributor just wiped us out in early July and it takes a few weeks to get more made and in hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Martin
Canada
Torbay
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seth, I respect that you are as hands-on as you are, first off.

I have not used your products, but I have heard many accounts that the standard sleeves are between "penny" sleeves and standard "CCG" sleeves, but that they are closer to penny sleeves. I have played with penny sleeves for games before, anad don't particularly like them.

If I can procure some of your premium sleeves for a reasonable price, i will certainly try them out. Cheaper than replacing the Dominion cards!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayday Games
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Jason, send me an email at seth@maydaygames.com and lets see if we can work something out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Heinikel
United States
Garland
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My only complaint with Mayday sleeves....They were not all uniform size. Granted they were off by just a hair, but some were not usable. I sleeved with the purple pack so maybe it's just the purple ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayday Games
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacob,

We did have a bad batch of purple sleeves (Standard USA) a few months ago. Our current and all future batches are uniform. If you email our customer service lady at sarah@maydaygames.com she would be happy to send you out some replacements!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Heinikel
United States
Garland
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had bought several extra packs so I had and still have plenty so no worries. I used Mayday on all my games so I do like the sleeves. Also, I appreciate the gesture to get them replaced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Vollick
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maydaygames wrote:

Matt, the Chaos in the Old World are showing as mini Chimera sized on our chart and we will change the sleeve list for Battlestar Galactica to Mini Chimera as well.

Basically the Chimera and Mini-Chimera were intended to fit the odd FFG card size in most cases. Be sure to check against the sleeves file before buying to ensure the best fit. We are more than happy to help you out and exchange if you get a size that doesn't work for you.

Please continue to give us input on sizing and we will keep the list up to date. We only know what you guys email or post on threads like this as we don't own every single game out there, unlike some of you!

No worries Seth, it's not like the sleeves aren't being used for a bazillion other games but it's a bit of a drag. My FLGS is selling your Mayday Chimera sleeves now (they weren't before) so I'm happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.