Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthias Staber
Germany
Boeblingen
Baden-Wuerttemberg
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi all,

I've played this wonderful new edition of Tales of the Arabian Nights four times so far - 2 an 4 players - and I have two questions:

1. So far the game always ended way before the Encounter deck ran out: Do Noon and Evening ever happen?

2. Are the effects which affect story and destiny points cumulative? In the last game I had the status which changed destiny points gained into story points, and the status which doubles the story points gained. Are these effects really supposed to work together?

Thanks,

Matthias

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stellmach
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's normal to not get through the encounter deck. I suppose it would be more apt to happen in a 6-player game, but nobody sensible plays that way anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Our family has played four times and never gotten past morning with four players. There are several threads that discuss alternate ways to bring in the Noon and Night encounters. You've identified a real issue with the game.

I wish I knew if the Noon and Night encounters were more difficult or more rewarding or what. That would help figure out the best way to work the later encounters into the game.

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J G
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I make a stack of 5 cards per player for the morning pile, 5 cards per player for noon pile and the rest night pile.

Even with this we are yet to enter the night pile. but we are half way through the noon pile when game ends.

I should point out that my first 2 games was with random skills, this made the game considerable longer. Now we choose our skills and games end around 2 hrs or sometimes less.

I am curious how the previous edition dealt with the day cycles. perhaps have a lead player and just have the time of day just rotate as if they were days? or I have read, players roll to see when the encounter took place. That sounds interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a lot of discussion about this. Bearing in mind I don't have the game (yet) - couldn't you just decide at the start of the game what time of day it is?
Play morning once, next game is noon, game after is night? Just vary it each time?
From what Zev says it doesn't seem to make much difference, just varies up the encounters some . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
We play that we change the time of day after 3 rounds of turns. Works pretty well to vary it up, doesn't seem to have a large impact though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J G
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone recommended to just roll a D6 , on result 1-2 morning, 3-4 noon and 5-6 night. I will try this next time.

Kinda like being in jail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Martins
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
There's a lot of discussion about this. Bearing in mind I don't have the game (yet) - couldn't you just decide at the start of the game what time of day it is?
Play morning once, next game is noon, game after is night? Just vary it each time?
From what Zev says it doesn't seem to make much difference, just varies up the encounters some . . .

This isn't often discussed, but it's my favorite. I like it because it doesn't add an extra layer of bookkeeping to the game. This game really has enough (literally... you're passing around a giant book).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill H
United States
Absecon
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"Shijuro" in Awatum (Serpent's Tongue)
badge
"A master in the art of living draws no sharp distinction between his work and his play, his labour and his leisure, his mind and his body, his education and his recreation." LP Jacks
mbmbmbmbmb
andreww wrote:

I wish I knew if the Noon and Night encounters were more difficult or more rewarding or what. That would help figure out the best way to work the later encounters into the game.

The Solitaire Variant rules at Z-Man games includes the sentence:
Solitaire Variant wrote:
If you believe yourself to be an expert game player, increase the number of points in the formula or start with the Deck marker in "Night".

This would imply that the challenge is greater as you advance through the day.

It would also make sense that by the time you've gone through the encounter deck once (and especially twice), your characters should have greater skill sets and possibly accumulated treasures and therefore should face bigger risks.

From my own few plays of the game at different "times of day", daytime seems to have slightly more risk and rewards than morning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Trosper
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
As a couple of us have stated elsewhere in this Forum, all the quote implies is that reaching the Solitaire victory conditions while going through the deck once (starting and ending with Night) is harder than doing so while going through it 3 times (starting with Morning and ending with Night).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.