Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kris Verbeeck
Belgium
Mol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it was a footfault. Why can't a player question that call. And why weren't there any better angles shown of the moment in question.

I understand why she got penalized though but I think in these circumstances her actions were understandable.

Rules are to be followed though.

A footfault is made when a player touches the line or crosses it before they hit the ball.

As Serena is airborne when she hits her serve her feet should be behind the line when she jumps to meet the ball.

So I don't think it is one. Where are the images?

BTW when will they use covers on the tennisfield as well?
Every year it is the same story..shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Abusing an umpire is still poor-form and not well accepted in any sport. The foot fault aside, getting a warning for smashing a raquet and then later abusing an umpire over a call is not very sports-person-like what game you play.

Cheers,

Giles.

Edit: On many courts players are given the right to X questions over line calls, is it the same for foot faults?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay for Kim.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robin goblin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
I think her actions and the resulting consequence speak for themselves:

""I'm going to shove this ball down your f------ throat".

It got worse from there. There were multiple profanities, more threats and a lot of pointing. Serena was even defending herself against accusations that she had threatened to kill the lines judge. Even John McEnroe said it was a bit much.

The explosive end is sure to obscure the fact that Serena probably would have lost the match without the foot fault. Clijsters was playing great and Serena couldn't win a point on her second serve. The end was coming, Serena's outburst merely hastened its arrival. Maybe that was the point."

If even John McEnroe (the biggest tennis asshole of all time) thinks you've gone too far then losing the match should be the least of the consequences.....

Robin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
I miss McEnroe...I never condoned his behavior but damn did it make Tennis exciting, kinda like just watching those clip tapes of nothing but Nascar wrecks...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are going to go BSC you take your chances. I too think the call was questionable (being charitable) but SW went too far in her complaints.

Go Clijsters!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Verbeeck
Belgium
Mol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not saying she shouldn't receive the point penalty for abusing the line judge.
She should and she accepted it.

I think Serena and Venus are great ambassadors for tennis (Kim too)
and I don't think they are treated as well as they should be.

In a quarter final against Capriati also at the US open I believe there were four bad calls all in favour of Capriati in the final game of the match. There was a ball at a pivotal moment in the second set called out that was so much in (there could be three balls put next to it and the third ball would still) that I asked myself Isn't she allowed to win.
Does the comeback woman have to win here. Capriati fought back from a difficult time in her life since she had problems dealing with the fame she acquired.

Serena is a player who often applauds other player great shots and most of the time is gracious in defeat.

Even this time I thought she was gracious the way she went up to Kim twice. Kim said on belgian television that Serena excused herself twice (in the lockerroom also) that the match had to end the way it did.

BTW: I was a big fan of Mcenroe not for the outbursts but for his touch and brilliance. The outbursts I didn't mind too much as most of the time he was right. And it relieved some of the tension
I wonder how Mcenroe would have played with the challenge system they have now. I think he would have an edge as most line judges would be terrified to be proven wrong by him

Anyway Serena said later that the linejudge was doing her job and she probably foot faulted because it was called. I wonder why there is no proof if it was a footfault or not.

Kim looked strong even closing the match out and she was a 2-1 favourite winning the point at 15-30. If she continued playing the way she did.
Still you have to make the final point and because of that call and Serena's reaction Kim didn't win it, it was handed to her what is a shame really and something where Serena excused herself to Kim about.

So where are the images that she really footfaulted. Mcenroe was brought up and he said that the punishment was fair but he also said you couldn't call it a footfault.

Furthermore linejudges have the responsibility to inform the chair umpire of footfaults so that the chair umpire can warn the players upfront that footfaults will be called upon them. It is a strange rule but it is there.
To do so on a 15-30 and on a second serve at 4-5 is a poor decision of the linejudge even more so because the call is very a dubious one and not clear cut at all.

On a side note
Why am I under the impression that americans are not very proud of the Williams sisters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kester J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
noddingoff wrote:
The explosive end is sure to obscure the fact that Serena probably would have lost the match without the foot fault.

This is the worst part of it. Not only was it completely unsporting, but she robbed Clijsters of a nice moment of victory and instead made it all about her. It's just very selfish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Frankly, I am both shocked and disappointed. It should either be Serena-Kim or Willams-Clijsters. Serena-Clijsters goes against everything we have been taught and accepted.

Also, they play tennis after Wimbledon? When did that start?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
Frankly, I am both shocked and disappointed. It should either be Serena-Kim or Willams-Clijsters. Serena-Clijsters goes against everything we have been taught and accepted.

Also, they play tennis after Wimbledon? When did that start?

Heh. Before it too...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Verbeeck
Belgium
Mol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kester wrote:
noddingoff wrote:
The explosive end is sure to obscure the fact that Serena probably would have lost the match without the foot fault.

This is the worst part of it. Not only was it completely unsporting, but she robbed Clijsters of a nice moment of victory and instead made it all about her. It's just very selfish.

I think Serena lost it but would you take a look at this.

It takes a great person to congratulate your opponent after that final game

Serena seldom challenges a call in the challenge system.

Why not make a system that indicates footfaults or give the possibility to challenge it.

It was the best womans match I've ever seen. Nobody comes close to the level Clijsters and Serena reached.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Verbeeck
Belgium
Mol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay my final post in this thread.

Some people get away with murder some don't.

Chang served against Lendl using a forehand. The crowd loved it.
When Martina Hingis did it against Steffi Graf the crowd became very hostile.
I don't think you should serve as Martina did, it is a gentlemens agreement that you don't, but make it a part of the rules.

Again Serena this time against Henin ( I mean Justine)

First a ball is called out Serena indicates the mark and the crowd boo her.
Next point our a couple of points later First serve serena she faulted it but Juistine held her hand up. so she should be able to serve first serve.The chair umpire didn't see it and asks Justine did you hold your hand up. Justine says no.
Afterwards Serena is in tears and says Justine deserved to win she played great.
Just like she complimlented Clijsters on her great match

On a couple of occasions Serena corrected a linecall that went in her favour. Too bad I can't find those right now.

Americans should embrace the figures in sport they have. Serena is one of the biggest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Nieman
United States
Simi Valley
California (CA)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KrisVerbeeck wrote:
I don't think it was a footfault. Why can't a player question that call. And why weren't there any better angles shown of the moment in question.
I think it's interesting that the number of people who think it was or was not a foot fault seem about even because there isn't a definitive angle. Since there is no definitive angle, we must rely on the line judge's call.

KrisVerbeeck wrote:
I understand why she got penalized though but I think in these circumstances her actions were understandable.

I disagree with you here. Serena came at the line judge with a threatening manner. Serena threatened the line judge with bodily harm, and that is completely unacceptable for anyone playing at Serena's level. Her poor behavior is unbecoming of a professional tennis star.

It's also interesting that she needed an entire day after the fact to release a statement of apology. That was very disappointing to me. She was very smug, coy, and self-righteous at the post-match press conference.

I've always liked Serena, but this time, she went too far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Verbeeck
Belgium
Mol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Dante_Cubit wrote:

KrisVerbeeck wrote:

I disagree with you here. Serena came at the line judge with a threatening manner. Serena threatened the line judge with bodily harm, and that is completely unacceptable for anyone playing at Serena's level. Her poor behavior is unbecoming of a professional tennis star.

It's also interesting that she needed an entire day after the fact to release a statement of apology. That was very disappointing to me. She was very smug, coy, and self-righteous at the post-match press conference.

I've always liked Serena, but this time, she went too far.

the Us open is the last big meeting of the year.
Serena is considered the best player in the world, (but Kim started playing again)
It was a very close match that would be decided by a couple of points.
She was behind and calling that footfault made it almost impossible for her to win.
And the entire match she was over-anxious. she wanted it more than ever. (this makes it understandable ;not right what she did)
A call that close is impossible to call even more so given the score in the match.

Serena's reaction was wrong and she got penalized for it. She didn't fight the point deduction and congratulated Kim.
It's very unfortunate it was on matchpoint.

I posted a couple of clips especially the Capriati-clip where Serena is great sports.

If it happened at another point the issue of unsportmanslike conduct was not so much discussed in the press I feel.

Now again this match brings up two points for me where they can improve upon.

How come footfaults can't be challenged at all times?
Why did they dry the court four times which takes around 45 minutes instead of using a cover. so that they just have to make sure the lines are dry which takes ten minutes top.

Thanks Kevin for the feedback

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
mbmbmbmbmb
Kester wrote:
noddingoff wrote:

That's true and that's bad. It obscured the great come back of Kim, beating the current defending champion with a childish attitude typical of a bad player. It looked like to me: "If I can't win and gt the headlines, I will do it another way." Marketing all the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.