Monsters Menace America» Forums » General

Subject: Monsters Menace America review and an issue with the map rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
C W
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
For those who've never played MMA, there's screaming tanks, screaming monsters, players perfecting their monster screams. Toxicor's "squISHa squISHa" is my personal favorite, and if you're really lucky you get to send Captain Colossal's GUNS OF STEEL in to do the business on the mutant horror that is your friend. All good no?

Well kinda. Yes this game is worth the purchase just for the theme. Stomping Fresno is strangely satisfying even though I don't hold anything against the place and it was only because of MMA that I even know where Fresno (or Tulsa) is. There is a simple mechanic that makes it very accesible and the vibe of playing is one of silly non-competitiveness which in certain circumstances is appropriate and screamworthy. It is very nice for light gamers or those that haven't ever played a hobby game.

Being able to say, 'good gravy you just destroyed the Eastern Seaboard,'
while the subtle aroma of military helicoper wafts over the table to the co-ordinated scream efforts of your friends is all to the good. There is some strategy to the game in that you try to obstruct your opponents and delay them in their gluttenous rampage through what by rights is your smorgasboard. This strategic element is light though, a few common strategies are to go for power up cards (there are two decks) infamy tokens, which allow for more attacks, or to eat more cites so that you can take more damage in the final battle.

It is a fun game which leaves you feeling light and well screamed and the climactic ending is good irrespective of who wins. If I could change anything it would be a slight tweak on the map. For a cartoony game it seems overly careful about being geographically accurate. Even with the maximum four players I feel I am just too far away from my opponents and even thought my jets can get to them it feels like you are each stomping on different corners of the US playing isolated starting games. It would be much more engaging strategically (and faster) I think, if the monsters had less space to stomp across (perhaps with less hexes).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.