9 Posts

Panzerblitz: Hill of Death» Forums » General

Subject: CoH vs PBII rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alberto Lopera
Spain
flag msg tools
What is the better: Conflict of Heroes or Panzerblitz II?

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Schubert
United States
Port Republic
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They're two different scales: platoon vs squad. That said, my pick is CoH if you must choose between the two. CoH is my favorite wargame/wargame series. PB2 is a vg game though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakob Schneider
Germany
Brühl
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PB is the better game, CoH being absolutely no competition.
The only problem are the rules. They're very messy and convoluted, so I'd suggest waiting for a second edition, which is in the works, I hear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Reed
United States
Clayton
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
what are you looking for in a wargame? What are some of your favorites now?

Interesting. I just looked over your profile to see what you rated and you gave COH a 10 and Combat Commanderacific a 1. These are my two favorite wargames and was going to say if you like these you might like COH better. This is the case with me.

I tried PB:HOD - I wanted to like it. But as I played through it and even began work on some examples of play to help newbies work through the rulebook. I was struck with how much I dislike this "scale" of game. It's kind of an aesthetic thing - counter size amount of stacking, etc. In CC and COH there isn't a lot of stacking, the pieces are bigger, the graphics are clearer. All subjective stuff that doesn't really help another person in their decision making process. Personal preference.

I do like the tactical scale of things. For now, I've decided these are the wargames of choice for me. In a Utopia, I would try ASL. I like the depth, the community, but the rules are too much and I've seen the pictures of games in progress. If jeweler's tweezers are needed to play, then I probably won't get involved.

I like the chit pull system on PB. I like bringing back the PB line. I know there was a lot of discussion about the rulebook. Again, I went in positive, wanting to like it, wanting it to work. However, the way the rules and examples of play, etc are carried out in COH and CC really get my attention and help me to "get it".

I say all this with the understanding that I'm not a true grognard, just a wannabe. I feel like I just visited the gamer therapist. Send me the bill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Riker
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Todd
I like some of your comments a lot.
I too really wanted to like PB2, but hated the scale: stacks of units a bit too close together and the terrain too generic.
It's not the game, it's the scale. Basically, I think that this type of game simply works much better at a Tactical scale.
Now COH is a cool game, but the issue with it versus say Combat Commander is that the combat system is very simple w/no randomness. Leaves me with a slightly chess like experience. And that works fine for FtF, but not so much for solitaire play.
I love CC Europe and Pacific as a solo game engine due to the massive amount of random events.

But overall, to be a bit too blunt, CoH is a better game than Panzerblitz 2.
Hope this helps....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
PB v. ASL SK#3?
Well how does Panzer Blitz compare to ASL SK #3? I have the three starter kits and I am thinking about Panzer Blitz but only if it is significantly lighter thank ASL SK or much better components. I've only played SK 1 & 2....

Opinions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
ASL is at a smaller level than PB.
No real comparison between the systems is really possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Reed
United States
Clayton
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I agree with Robin. Two very different approaches and games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Belisarius88 wrote:
Well how does Panzer Blitz compare to ASL SK #3? I have the three starter kits and I am thinking about Panzer Blitz but only if it is significantly lighter thank ASL SK or much better components. I've only played SK 1 & 2....

Opinions?

I have ASL, ASLSK and PB:HOD, and have played CC.

- to get into ASL you really need to study it and take it seriously. It's for grognards.
- ASLSK is a fine introduction to the ASL system with about 50 different scenarios. For me works very well as a tactical system (squad scale, down to single personnel) with a complexity level that is acceptable to the average wargamer.
- PB:HOD has a section scale and focuses more on playability than ASLSK, without being to gamey. It still has wargame flavor but it is really simple compared to ASLSK. That can be good or bad depending on you. I think it complements ASLSK and it is less scary for newbies.
- I have played CC and I don't like it. There was too much randomness and I never had the sensation to lead a group of soldiers. Things happened, some good, some bad, but I could not grasp control. Maybe I should play it more times to understand it, but I felt that having ASLSK I did not need CC.
- I have not tried COH.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.