Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Andre van Gils has run a number of email monster games of Close Action using email and Cyberboard. Last year, I participated in the Battle of the Chesapeake with 40+ other players! It was awesome.

Well, this year it's going to be Trafalgar. Over 60 ships! Currently, we have 32 players signed up. The more players, the better the game, since captains don't have to command multiple ships.

If you would be interested in playing, please send me a Geek Mail and I'll give you Andre's email address to register for the game.

Experience is not necessary but COMMITMENT is. If you'd like to play and will be serious about turning in orders at least once a week, then do sign up for what will be an awesome recreation of what was an awesome battle.

Come on, Captains! There's not a moment to be lost!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You say no experience is required, but am I right to assume that taking part in that game DOES require one to have the rulebook? I've always been interested in the game, but so far haven't ordered it (Don't think I'll find many players here)...

One way or the other, how many turns are we talking approximately?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd also like to know how we do our plotting without the map--is there a website where we can see the map, or do we have to picture what the other ships are doing mentally?

How long does a turn take you send in?

How does combat work?

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Some more details to answer questions.

Yes, you'll need the Rules. These are not available electronically so you would have to purchase the game. (Unless you know how to play already and don't own a copy of the game or whatever.)

When everyone is signed up, players will be assigned their ships.

Ship logs are done via Excel files. Everything is given to you. You just keep track of the damage, move plots, etc.

We use the Cyberboard software to run the actual game with ships and map. The GM sends out the "move" file to update the board after each set of plots and end of turn maintenance. Using CB, you'll have a turn by turn, move by move record of everything that happens.

Orders in the last game were: Move plots by Tuesday and Fire plots by Thursday. So, usually about one full turn per week. (We began in September and played through late May if I recall correctly).

Fire is resolved by the Game Master with assistance from designated fleet and squadron admirals. This is done using the ACTS game modules. It is also via ACTS that we submit our move and fire plots. From time to time, players will submit their own die rolls for such things as ungrappling, etc. Otherwise, everything is taken care of by the GM.

DON'T WORRY about the mechanics! Everything will be provided and there are detailed instructions for submitting plots and using the CB files, etc. Andre has done this several times before and he's very good at it.

We're still recruiting and this will be followed by ship assignments, game instructions and pre-battle team planning. So if you want in, give it a go!

Again, GM me for Andre's email.

Regards,
Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hughes
Australia
Northbridge
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second Mark's call. Last year's Chesapeake game was one of the most enjoyable games I've experienced in 30 years of playing these things.

Do yourself a favour and sign up...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Haseler
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those who have not used the ACTS website before, I will explain a little.

ACTS (for this multi-player CA experience) is used like a blog of the 'coded' movement plots and fire plots for groups of ships, and all their die rolls and 'coded' signals.

To avoid email overload problems, Andre sets up a separate 'folder' for each division of each fleet, so the ships of the British Van are only sent emails that relate to them etc etc. Those coded messages become uncoded at the point of the Game Master processing that phase of the turn. Damage inflicted on a ship is known only to the owner of that vessel, the fleet admiral on his side and the GM. That confidentiality definitely adds to fog-of-war...

Cyberboard is a shareware game utility that provides a virtual map and counters of Close Action on your screen (but no rules interaction). You have to install the app first, and load a CA module that the GM will send out. The GM will send move and maintenance update files to everyone each turn.

This major multi-player is highly recommended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to play, but my only concern is the time investment. I work a job were I'm gone for 24 hours at a time.

Will I have a couple days to plot movement and couple days to plot firing, or will I be expected to do moves like clockwork exactly on Tuesday and exactly on Friday?

If that's the case, I would be unable to play because of my job.

Chris

PS--Sorry about all the questions, but I figure its better to ask them now instead of signing up and having to withdraw because I'm not able to complete my move/firing on time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris,

You'll have a couple of days between the time plots are due. In a pinch, your Admiral will post plots for you. It's quite polite to inform them if you wouldn't be able to plot.

Do you have a laptop when you're gone?

I would say that if you can fulfill your command obligations within the day or two timeframe, then you should sign up. If you foresee lots of missed plots, then perhaps not.

It's certainly not unheard of that people drop out. But it is a large social commitment. I think the key thing is that as long as you communicate with your admiral to plot for you if you won't be able to, then you're probably OK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to take part in this and I have a little experience playing Close Action. When is this going to start?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oldsin wrote:
I would love to take part in this and I have a little experience playing Close Action. When is this going to start?

It's literally going to start any day now. There's already 46 players signed up!

I've sent you a Geekmail with Andre's address.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick hildreth
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to give it a run but running CB on my Mac is a no-go. Any chance of providing an image to update commanders on the situation as an alternative to having to re-play it through CB? I'd be willing to provide a 'sea map' for all if I can get a screen shot from CB or even just positions of the ships. Sounds like a ton of fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt the image file would be easily done. It's one more thing the GM would have to do and it's going to be a lot of work already.

Don't you have a Virtual Machine or something that will run that? CB runs fine for me on Linux using Wine.

I'll GM you Andre's email and you are welcome to inquire about it, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
Wakefield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would there be any way to spectate? I love huge CA games and I would really like to just keep an eye on how things are going.

Great idea and good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If anyone wants to follow the game you can likely do so over on Consimworld: http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?13@71.M5jtawkggkG.38@.1dcdf...

You can scroll back through posts and see information from the Chesapeake battle we fought over the past year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick hildreth
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can run CB in a VM so no probs there. Been working up a mapping capability as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.