Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony La Morte
United States
Chippewa Lake
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,

I am pondering the purchase of the latest version of this game, but never played any of the other versions so have questions.

To try and get a feel for how it works I browsed about and found what appears to be second edition rules, although there are numerous speeling errors, so I question if they are good.

I am not understanding how and when Command points and Action points are used and when.
I read somewhere that points could be used during the Genestealer phase but else where it seemed to indicate Command points had to be used by the end of the Marines move.

Perhaps there is a sample of move by move, by both sides, to establish a better understanding.

This seems to be a really cool looking game but as always, I do a lot of research before plopping down my green, especially when it is a cool $100.

Thanks in adavance for any and all help.

Best Regards, Tony
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would check the actual Space Hulk forum rather then General Gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tony La Morte wrote:
Hi All,

I am pondering the purchase of the latest version of this game, but never played any of the other versions so have questions.

To try and get a feel for how it works I browsed about and found what appears to be second edition rules, although there are numerous speeling errors, so I question if they are good.

You want a feel for how it plays? Then check out this great thread posted by Dave_au yesterday:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/441712
The guys in the video get some of the rules wrong (I believe it's their first game), but the basics of play are definitely there.

Tony La Morte wrote:

I am not understanding how and when Command points and Action points are used and when.
I read somewhere that points could be used during the Genestealer phase but else where it seemed to indicate Command points had to be used by the end of the Marines move.

Bear in mind that what I'm about to say is how Action points (APs) and Command points (CPs) work back in the 1st edition of this game. I have not read the rules to this new version, but supposedly they're very close to 1st edition's.

APs are used when you activate a figure. Each marine has 4, and each genestealer has 6. When you activate that figure, you have to finish with it before moving another. If you did not use all of its APs before moving on to the next piece, what you did not use is lost, although it will again have 4 fresh APs when you activate it next turn (assuming that it's still alive...).

CPs can firstly be used on the marine player's turn simply as extra APs. However they're also an exception to that rule about finishing with a marine piece before moving on to the next one. You can use CPs in the middle of a marine's activation to move a 2nd marine (perhaps out of the way of the 1st marine's movement or line of fire) and then still continue on with the rest of the 1st marine's APs.

CPs can also be saved over until the end of the genestealer player's turn, but you can only use those saved CPs for a single action each time one of your marines sees a genestealer perform an action within his line of sight. Ex. a lonely marine staring down a long hallway sees a genestealer step one space into the corriodor. The marine player can choose to give that marine piece one action in response to that genestealer's action, as long as the marine player still has enough CPs to pay for it. The marine player decides he'll spend one CP to give his marine a shot at that nasty old genestealer. Now, the marine player can do this each time he sees an enemy figure perform an action, as long as he still has the CPs. So, if that genestealer survives the first shot and takes another step closer, or if yet another genestealer takes a step out into the hallway within the marine's line of sight, he can do it again.

Does that help?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh P.
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tony La Morte wrote:
although there are numerous speeling errors

Whether that was intentional or not, it still made me laugh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony La Morte
United States
Chippewa Lake
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Liked that did ya?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd also recommend trying to find a friend with a copy of the game or your game store and reading the 3rd ed. rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Meyer
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could just play Doom or Descent and get the same effect, and even more people can play. I can't believe the hype on Space Hulk. It's easily the most overhyped game on the geek, even more than Dominion. There is absolutely nothing special about Space Hulk other than nostalgia. Overpriced, overhyped nostalgia, that doesn't even come with desert.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
LordBullingdon wrote:
You could just play Doom or Descent and get the same effect, and even more people can play. I can't believe the hype on Space Hulk. It's easily the most overhyped game on the geek, even more than Dominion. There is absolutely nothing special about Space Hulk other than nostalgia. Overpriced, overhyped nostalgia, that doesn't even come with desert.

I do agree that it is overhyped. That being said, yeah nostalgia has some to do with it, but at the same time, this game has actually stood the test of time and is still a fun game. On the other hand, I wonder if it would be near as big as it is if it was just a rerelease of 1st ed. including 1st ed. components (minis, tiles, etc.)? Even if it was just rerelease of 1st ed. but cost only half as much, I bet it wouldn't have made near as big a splash as it has.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
LordBullingdon wrote:

Except that Doom nor Descent will sell as many copies as Space Hulk did back in the 90's. Nor will either have as much demand for a reprint 15-20 YEARS after they go OOP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Four crazy kids and happy as a clam!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
LordBullingdon wrote:

Exactly! I mean they both have minis and modular boards, so they must be the same games right?

The playtime differences alone warrant the ownership of both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
Except that Doom nor Descent will sell as many copies as Space Hulk did back in the 90's. Nor will either have as much demand for a reprint 15-20 YEARS after they go OOP.

I'm curious where you got the sales numbers for any of those three games. Also, You have nothing to base your statement on about Doom or Descent not being in high demand years after they go out of print.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Burnham wrote:
Also, You have nothing to base your statement on about Doom or Descent not being in high demand years after they go out of print.

I have all of them. The answer is simple: Space Hulk is in a different league.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Burnham wrote:
J.L.Robert wrote:

I'm curious where you got the sales numbers for any of those three games. Also, You have nothing to base your statement on about Doom or Descent not being in high demand years after they go out of print.

Sorry, my sources are confidential.

I didn't realize that I needed data from the General Accounting Office for this thread. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Space Hulk General forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Burnham wrote:
Also, You have nothing to base your statement on about Doom or Descent not being in high demand years after they go out of print.

I have all of them. The answer is simple: Space Hulk is in a different league.

Wow! Your logic is irrefutable!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
Burnham wrote:
J.L.Robert wrote:

Sorry, my sources are confidential.

I didn't realize that I needed data from the General Accounting Office for this thread. shake

When you make a claim like that, you do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.