Popular Tags: [View All]
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was an ACTS/Cyberboard game between myself and Kristian Thy. Kristian was playing the Allies. This was the 22nd full game of Pursuit of Glory campaign scenario with another player that I have finished.

Djemal the Great

Fall 1914

Kristian opened with Russo-British Assault, taking Eleskirt and Bayazit but held up by Mosquitoes in Basra. I redeployed the Camel Corps to the Persian Border and closed the gaps at Amara and Malazgirt. He redeployed Indian troops to Arabistan and a Russian Cavalry division to Central Persia. I played Persian Push, capturing Hamadan, Teheran and Qum and placing the Bakhtiari. He moved a Russian division to Erevan and attacked Koprukoy, drawing.

I played Pan-Turkism, placing Kurds in Suj Bulak, making Isfahan fully CP controlled and organizing III Corps in Damascus. Blockade was followed by Jihad, with Marsh Arabs and Kurds appearing. Kristian played for Rps (Sphere of Influence). I played German Military Mission, entrenching the Gallipoli beach-heads. He played Churchill Prevails, destroying only Kum Kale. I played for RPs (Indian Mutiny).

Winter 1915

MOs were No BR and TU. Max TU RPs 25.

Kristian began with RPs (Project Alexandria). I redeployed troops to the edge of the Sinai. Russian Reinforcements were followed by Turkish troops occupying the eastern side of the Suez Canal. Indian troops were redeployed to Egypt and I played Liberate Suez, capturing Ismailia. He pulled back from Suez to Cairo and failed to entrench Port Said. I captured Port Said and Urmia. Kitchener, Fresh Recruits, an Egyptian Coup and my RPs (Save Tiflis) rounded off the turn.

Spring 1915

Meso-Persia Mo for Allies, and TU MO for CPs Max TU RPs 25.

Kristian began by moving out of Cairo to Zagazig. I redeployed troops to Teheran and Basra. Kristian attacked and liberated Ismailia. I played Mission to Afghanistan, taking Sollum. Sphere of Inlfluence brought Russian troops to Julfa. Turkish reinforcements brought 6 divisions, split between the Reserve and the vicinity of Erzincan. Kristian attacked Romani and Qurna, taking Qurna but stopped in Romani by a Surprise shipment of troops from Port Said. I advanced into Eastern Persia. The Russians moved into Persia.

I played Djemal Crushes Secret Societies, placing the Senussi in Bahariya Oasis. The Senussi walked into a defenceless Cairo, and I activated Eastern Persia, moving a division into Central Asia, triggering a Jihad Revolt, and another division into Afghanistan, triggering a 2nd Jihad Revolt, for a total of +4 Jihad in one card play. The Allies attacked and liberated Cairo, and I attacked but failed to capture Port Said.

Summer 1915

MOs were British Empire for both of us Max TU RPs 25.

Grand Duke to Tiflis was followed by German Subs in the Med. The Russians attacked Kasvin and Central Asia. Revolt broke out in Persia and Murray took Command in Egypt. We both played for RPs (Bull’s Eye Directive, Maude). I organized V Corps in Van and the Afghans attacked Eastern Persia. Anzac Reinforcements arrived in Egypt and the Afghans attacked Eastern Persia again. The Allies tried to attack Nekhi and Romani, but Sandstorms restricted the attack to Nekhi. The Afghans attacked Eastern Persia again, wiping out the last of the Persian Cordon.

Fall 1915

Meso-Persia and TU MOs, TU Max RPs on 22.

Lawrence precipitated a fresh battle in Central Asia, and Turkish Arab Reinforcements appeared in Baghdad. Russian Reinforcements arrived, with V Corps and the Marines in Odessa. The Afghans attacked Central Asia and Romania entered the war. I occupied Kronstadt and Hermannstadt. The Allies captured Hatseg and attacked Central Asia and Amara.

We both played for RPs (Enver-Falkenhayn Summit, Project Alexandria). I organized IV Corps in Erzincan. The Salonika Invasion landed at Lemnos. I played Indian Mutiny, moving a division from Afghanistan to India and attacking Ismailia and Abadan. The Mutiny was duly triggered, permanently eliminating the Bikanir Camel division. I did not take Ismailia or Abadan.

Winter 1916

RU and TU MOs TU Max Rps on 21.

Enver went East, forcing attacks on Central Asia and Oltu. Turkish Reinforcements arrived, with TU XIV Corps organized in Erzerum. Asquith-Lloyd George Coalition preceded Parvus to Berlin. II Turkistani Corps was organized in Ardahan. Gorlice-Tarnow dispatched the Dobrujda Corps to Poland. The Russian Winter Offensive attacked Rize, Erzerum and Van while seizing Eastern Persia.

Van and Rize were captured but Erzerum held out with the aid of Reserves to the Front. I organized XV Corps in Erzincan and the Afghans attacked Eastern Persia. Allied Solidarity brought 3 divisions to Lemnos. I played for Rps (Verdun) and the Allies entrenched in Port Said and Suez. The turn ended with Bulgaria’s entry into the war, taking both sides into Total War.

Spring 1916

None and RU MOs . TU Max RPs on 18.

Greece joined the Allies. I attacked Belgrade and Craiova, taking Belgrade. Indian Army reinforcements arrived, with Tigris Corps going to India. I attacked and took Craiova. He moved Russians out from Odessa to Romania and attacked and recaptured Urmia. I attacked Nis and Van, using Army of Islam against Van.

The French landed at Thermalikos Bay, I attacked Nis and the Afghans attacked Central Asia. He moved the British into and attacked Afghanistan from India. I attacked Nis, Bucharest, and India with the Indian Mutiny, capturing the first two. We both played for RPs (Armenian Uprising, Unrestricted Submarine Warfare).

Summer 1916

British Empire for Allies, RU MO for CPs. TU Max RPs at 17.

Kristian began with RPs (Haversack Ruse) and I played Berlin-Baghdad Railroad. He attacked and took Varna and Xanthi, threatening Bulgaria from North and South. I moved troops to guard Adrianople and Zagora. He attacked Trabzon, running into Pasha I. I placed 2 fresh Corps in Trabzon with Caucasian Army Reforms. Indian 3rd Corps arrived in Abadan. Apis eliminated the remaining Serb Army in Skopje.

The Gallipoli Invasion landed on Lemnos. I attacked Skopje andCernavoda, taking Skopje. He attacked Afghanistan, using Maude and taking the region, thus putting my division in India out of supply. I attacked Veles, Braila and Afghanistan with the Indian Mutiny, taking Veles. The turn ended with Serbian Collapse.

Fall 1916

RU MO for Allies, British Empire for Cps. TU Max RPs at 17, Russian Revolution in one turn.

The Army of the Orient occupied Doiran and we both played for Rps (British War Weariness, March and Countermarch). I redeployed troops to Veles and more Russian troops approached the front lines. I organized XVI Corps in Erzincan and XVII Corps in Devrigi. The Serbs returned and I attacked Oltu, destroying all Russian forces there including Yudenich.

The Russians pulled back to Ardahan. The Turks advanced into Russia and captured Shushter. The Allies attacked Teheran and Strumica, capturing Strumica. I attacked Xanthi, Kars and Kagizman, advancing to besiege Kars. The turn ended with a Jihad Revolt breaking out in Egypt.

Winter 1917

British Empire MO (for Allies) RU MO (for Turks) TU Max RPs at 13, Russian Revolution due this turn.

The two Corps from the Gallipoli Invasion landed in the Balkans, occupying Strumica. He attacked Zagzig, wiping out the Egyptian rebels, and Basra, taking the space. Turkish Reinforcements arrived, the Left Wing Group in Baghdad. He attacked and captured Enzeli, I played for RPs (Robertson) and Lloyd George took Command. I moved Turkish troops up to Adrianople and Philippoli. He withdrew from Xanthi and attacked and took Qurna.

I moved the Bulgarians in Sofia to Xanthi and the Germans and Turks in Adrianople to Sofia and Left Wing Group to Kut. Russian Reinforcements arrived, increasing War Status so that Kristian could play Turkish War Weariness. I failed to entrench at Sofia and Kut, and then failed again at Sofia but succeeded at Kut after he played TWW. The turn ended with Kars falling and the Russian Revolution starting. Vps were at a promising 15.

Spring 1917

British Empire MO for Allies, RU (Enver) and British Empire MO for CPs, TU Max RPS at 11. Revolution Stage 1.

Allenby arrived. I played Verdun, and he sent 4 divisions to France. The Anzac Desert Corps formed in Suez and he attacked Mersa Matruh, defeating the Egyptian rebels again. I attacked and took Kagizma, bringing the Army of Islam back to full strength. He played for RPs (D’Esperey), I attacked and captured Bayazit. Kitchener’s Invasion landed off Adana. I ignored it in order to capture a great swathe of territory on the Russian front, cutting off the Russian forces in Van and Urmia from their supply lines and capturing Erevan and Tabriz.

He attacked Adana, but was held up by Confused Orders. I captured an empty Ploesti and attacked Ahwaz. He finished off the Egyptian Rebels at Sidi Barrani and attacked Adana again, landing this time. I continued to ignore the invasion, capturing Baku and attacking Ahwaz again, taking it this time. With the 2 VPs from Van and Urmia converting in the Attrition phase that took me to 21 and a CP autovictory.

Overview

A very nasty runaway Jihad situation. Even though Kristian was able to contain it and capture Afghanistan, it still tied down plenty of Allied troops. Persian Push proved its worth, as did Djemal of course. The Allies had a threatening position in the Balkans, but it needed plenty of time and attrition to mature. The Allied landing off Adana would have been quite a problem for me had I not been able to ignore it and take the autovictory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Stock
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I particularly enjoy watching games where the Jihad mechanism kicks in. Well played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was my first game where the Indian Mutiny occurred in 1915. Curiously enough, the very next game after this one also features an Indian Mutiny in 1915- and is also about to end in a CP autovictory. Other games the Mutiny has shown up during the endgame when the CPs are winning anyway and is simply an extra nail in the Allied coffin, but when it happens as early as 1915 it becomes a major headache for the Allies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
Together, we are the United Nations
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
mb
Philip Thomas wrote:
The Mutiny was duly triggered, permanently eliminating the Bikanir Camel division.

If you had had a bit more luck here, I wouldn't have held out so long. As it was, I was pretty happy that only my camels went AWOL and found the situation in India manageable (though as you say, it did tie down a lot of troops).

Philip Thomas wrote:
I moved the Bulgarians in Sofia to Xanthi and the Germans and Turks in Adrianople to Sofia ...

Major fail on my side here. I had held on to War-Weary Balkans for two turns only to find that when I was finally in place to attack and knock Bulgaria out with three Corps, snow had fallen in the mountains South of Sofia. Waiting patiently for my sixth impulse, I had failed to realize your intention to have the Bulgarians trade places with the Germans and Turks. A nice bait-and-switch due to my own procrastination ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.