Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric O. LEBIGOT
France
Versailles
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anybody damaged figures while they were stored or when handling their game box? Some Space Hulk owner take precautions. But how warranted is this? should I worry? I currently have all my figures bagged:
Will this be enough to prevent claws, thin weapons and ornamental crests from being damaged during storage? zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are painting your models you might want to come up with another storage method.

If they are unpainted, and you place them carefully in the box after play, and you don't shake the box around or drop it or thump other boxes on top of it, I doubt there will be much in the way of damage caused.

I have a GW case designed for holding 40k/FB armies. My figs are going in that (if I ever get them off the table!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep my entire game in a shallow plastic storage tub with a lid.

All the tiles, counters, books, etc. go in the original box, and all the figures go in a seperate smaller cardboard box.

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bagged but still loose in the box as it were? Then no. They arent safe from bends, or breaks. As has been pointed out in other threads here. These figures show some rather surprising fragility for GW sculpts.

I'd strongly suggest storing them in containers or within some padding. Otherwise, over time you may well end up with one or more broken or otherwise dinged.

Considering what you payed for this game. Why risk damages, especially if you lucked out and it actually made it to you intact in the first place?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Manoff
United States
Haymarket
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would check out the new custom storage solution from Battle Foam (www.battlefoam.com). For US$25 you get two trays, one custom tray that is cut for each piece and a second tray with two large storage areas for all the tiles. They are designed to fit right into the box. My trays are being shipped and I hope to receive them in a couple days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Owen
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to recommend the BattleFoam System for Space Hulk 3E but someone already posted about the accessory.

Carefully wrapping each figure in plastic bubble wrap or other type of plastic covering before placement into BattleFoam may also be helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Shellito
United States
Hollister
California
flag msg tools
designer
no, not the Hollister on the tee shirts. that place does not exist.
badge
Ia! Ia! Shub-Niggurath! The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young!
mbmbmbmbmb
The new figs are definitely more fragile than the 1st edition ones. I'm going to use some egg crate foam to try to protect them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Owen
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although the figures are plastic I would probably treat them as they were metal and take the precautions recommended here and on Warhammer 40K Web sites.

The game box is beautiful and is a great way to attract attention at a convention. Using the box to store the components might be problematic. You may want to use one or more containers to store the game separate from the game box.

A long time ago I gave up using the Descent: Journeys in the Dark game boxes. I placed all of my components inside plastic tubs. I keep the game boxes on a shelf. This system, although bulkier than the original boxes, is safer for travel.

Downtown Seattle has an Army/Navy surplus store that occasionally sells used, empty, metal, 0.50-caliber heavy machine gun ammunition boxes. You would need a good amount of cushion material like BattleFoam but the game components would be very secure. Carrying around an ammo box with Space Hulk 3E items would look great but you may have some difficulties during a traffic stop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Love
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Yeah -- it's been said already -- BATTLEFOAM.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's whether or not their painted. If you don't intend to paint them, then these guys are much studier than the FFG Descent figures, and just bagging them will be fine.

If you *paint* them, then that's a different story...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yoyomama wrote:

Yeah -- it's been said already -- BATTLEFOAM.com

Well.. the OP is kinda from France. Somehow I don't think ordering $25 foam + $30 shipping is really worth it..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric O. LEBIGOT
France
Versailles
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for the ideas, remarks and pointers.

So, to summarize, I understand that the paint on models would come off if they were so close that they would rub together. Zipper bags would not do, in that case.

Bringing the box out for a game night or a convention would require more serious precautions too.

However, it looks like zipper bags are fine, if one makes sure to not stack too many game boxes on top of Space Hulk, and to not shake the contents like mad.

Anyway, one reassuring point is that this thread has not gotten any story of pieces damaged "at home" while they were stored or while the box was handled by its owner. That's a good sign!

[Edit: qualified "while stored or handled"]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric O. LEBIGOT
France
Versailles
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:
Well.. the OP is kinda from France. Somehow I don't think ordering $25 foam + $30 shipping is really worth it..
Spot on! that's the motivation behind starting this thread…
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually... theres a thread here covering accoints of the game broken in transit... And a seperate one covering the pieces broken in unpacking and/or unsprueing and/or assembly.

Stored essentially loose, you will run the small risk of breaking a stealer hand, terminator claw, or the captains headpiece. These three seem to be the most oft mentioned damaged before or after.

Painted minis can have their lifespans extended by giving them a coat of sealer or such. Theres at least two painting threads here now, that end with that suggestion.

Eggcrate style foam packs as used in some minatures storage boxes is a good idea.

lebigot wrote:
Thank you all for the ideas, remarks and pointers.

So, to summarize, I understand that the paint on models would come off if they were so close that they would rub together. Zipper bags would not do, in that case.

Bringing the box out for a game night or a convention would require more serious precautions too.

However, it looks like zipper bags are fine, if one makes sure to not stack too many game boxes on top of Space Hulk, and to not shake the contents like mad.

Anyway, one reassuring point is that this thread has not gotten any story of pieces damaged while they were stored or while the box was handled. That's a good sign! :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric O. LEBIGOT
France
Versailles
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
Actually... theres a thread here covering accoints of the game broken in transit... And a seperate one covering the pieces broken in unpacking and/or unsprueing and/or assembly.
Yeah, you're right. I had "home" storage and handling in mind: it looks like there is very little risk to break anything if you take care of the box (nothing heavy on top, careful handling).

There have been many nice and cheap packing ideas in this thread! I'll try them. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Living the Dream!
mbmbmbmbmb
Where did you hear this? I'm curious, as I was considering the battlefoam solution. I just started clipping the models and they are pretty darn fragile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Broken GS claws before even touching them ! GW should have wrapped them in bubble wrap or at least in a strong plastic bag and not have them at the top where it hits the inside of the box angry

My nephew was furious.

Also, it was the first time ever that he received a package wrapped in black bin liner from amazon gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.