Alhambra» Forums » Reviews

Subject: No Big Box for me rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
That's my perp! Futsie, all right - crazy as a coot! He's got to be stopped!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was kind of put off from buying Alhambra because I had got it into my stupid head that it was an auction game and for some reason we just don’t get along with that style of game.

However, after reading Tom Vasel’s excellent Alhambra Big Box reviews I quickly learned the error of my ways and the game soared to the top of my wish list. The frugal side of my nature was won over by the value for money that the package offered, whilst my obsessive side was itching to see how all those numerous expansions could be neatly fitted into a single box.

Unfortunately, trying to source a copy here in the U.K proved all but impossible. After a little more thought we agreed that it was probably best to buy the base game and add the expansions as and when we (the wife) deemed appropriate. After all, “The City Gates” is the only one that looked like an essential purchase, a couple more seemed decent but the rest were patchy with uncomfortably bolted-on ideas.

The idea of the game is to build the best Alhambra, by purchasing tiles and placing them according to a few simple rules. Four tiles are pulled from the bag and placed on the sale board next to a specific colour of currency. We had a few problems in that since the colour of the tile does not necessarily reflect the colour of the currency required to purchase it there can be a bit of confusion. Perhaps if the colours of currency did not match that of the tiles things would have been a bit easier. Although maybe I’m just being daft as my wife and six-year old daughter coped just fine.

After acquiring tiles they are placed on the board according to a few simple rules. Each tile must be placed upright and any tile edges with walls can only be placed next to a neighbouring tile if it also has a matching wall. In addition each tile must be placed so that there is a wall-free route back to the central fountain tile.

There are three scoring rounds with players receiving points for having the most tiles of each of the six different types. At game’s end there are also bonus points to be had for continuous perimeter walls

There is quite a bit to think about each turn;
Can you pay for a tile with the exact currency and earn an extra turn?
Will the walls on the tile allow it to slot into your Alhambra, or will you have to put it to one side to use later?
Does the colour of the tile match those you already have hence giving you the potential to increase your points total?

It’s a great game if you love Carcassone but want to move onto something a little different.
Its great game if you have younger players as you can’t directly mess up another player’s creation, the only annoyance players can cause to each other is snatching a currency card or tile from under their nose.
It’s a great game if you want something that can be played in 30 minutes and has some really interesting expansions available to increase the challenge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasta Batman
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I wouldn't regret missing out on the Big Box. Although it's the cheapest way to get all the expansions, it's a mystery to me why anyone but the most ardent Alhambra lovers would want all the expansions. Alhambra base game is fine by itself. After watching all of Tom Vasel's reviews of the expansion modules, I think there are only a handful of the 20 worth bothering with. Too bad you can't buy them a la carte. One of my first game purchases was the Carcassone Big Box, having been dazzled by the sheer number of expansions. How wonderful to have them all snugly together in one box! Pfft. I only use two of the expansions now. I should have saved my money and a lot of shelf space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Not to worry, you have a lot of expansion with about 4 modules to each.

I decided against the Big Box and will buy the base game for the time being. Had a wondeful time playing this for the first time with a friend. This friend (a doctor) told me that he plays it with his wife and chose two expansions after getting acquainted with the game.

Infact, it might be overwhelming to have so many expansions and, I think, about 16 modules....shake But, to each his own.

Best stick with the base game for a few games and then slowly add one module from the expansion of your choice.

BTW: Did you have a chance to watch Tom Vasel's review of The Big Box. Might help you.

Try and relax, enjoy your gaming.

Regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rumaley
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Futsie wrote:
At game’s end there are also bonus points to be had for continuous perimeter walls

In fact, points are awarded for walls at each of the three scoring moments.

Your fiscal sanity regarding the variable quality of the 20 expansions in one box is well taken. If and when the big box becomes more widely available, I'd probably go for it: 1 some of the expansions definitely add playability, 2 you can't purchase "a la carte", 3 and you could always come up with your own rules for the official looking bits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fritz Mulnar
Germany
Schwanewede
not Bavaria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i asked the german distributer and they said they will release the big box here in some time. should check their website, they said. but it would eventually come around
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
That's my perp! Futsie, all right - crazy as a coot! He's got to be stopped!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for pointing that out, we've only been scoring walls at the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very happy I don't have the big box because I've managed to cram all the expansions so far into the standard game box. Having said that, I'm only really taken with a fairly small number of them.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb
United Kingdom
Canterbury
Kent
flag msg tools
mb
PhygLeGuy wrote:
Futsie wrote:
At game’s end there are also bonus points to be had for continuous perimeter walls

In fact, points are awarded for walls at each of the three scoring moments.

From the rules (my italics)...

Quote:
In each scoring round, points are awarded to whoever has the most of each type of building. Players are also given points for the length of the wall around their Alhambras at the end of the game.

I couldn't find anything in the rules about scoring the walls at each scoring round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering your rules quote

Quote:
In each scoring round, points are awarded to whoever has the most of each type of building. Players are also given points for the length of the wall around their Alhambras at the end of the game.

The "at the end of the game" part isn't actually there in the printed rules that came with my copy of Alhambra. (Queen standard international ed from a few years ago)

This thread:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/843447#843447

suggests you're quoting from an incorrect Überplay translation of the rules. The Queen intepretation also tallies with the German rules.

Quote:
Bei jeder Wertung werden sowohl Siegpunkte für Gebäudemehrheiten als auch für Außenmauern der Alhambra vergeben

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
montag 66
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elfrododumbo wrote:

BTW: Did you have a chance to watch Tom Vasel's review of The Big Box. Might help you.

Check out the second sentence of the original post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Armstrong
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My thought on the Alhambra Big box is to put a 20-sided dice in the box and then roll to randomly decide which 4-5 modules to use each game. That way each game will be unique and different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Mesina
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All the expansions have something to offer. The only one that isn't essential is 5, because it is somewhat fiddly, and that one still has some value.

Alhambra without expansions would get tedious over time, I'd imagine. Even Tom had to admit that he didn't think the game was great until he added expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon Morris
Canada
Fergus
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grakkus wrote:
My thought on the Alhambra Big box is to put a 20-sided dice in the box and then roll to randomly decide which 4-5 modules to use each game. That way each game will be unique and different.

This is what we have done with the exception that we generally only add two modules (and usually always use the Vizier's favour with 4 or more players).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it weird that I like Alhambra, but not Carcassone?

Maybe it's because I started Carcassone with the version that comes in a wooden box, not the base game, but I just like Alhambra more. I like the fact that I can choose which tile to buy and place, as opposed to Carcassone where you pick one up and don't get to see it beforehand.

Cameron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
montag 66
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zeede wrote:
Is it weird that I like Alhambra, but not Carcassone?

Maybe it's because I started Carcassone with the version that comes in a wooden box, not the base game, but I just like Alhambra more. I like the fact that I can choose which tile to buy and place, as opposed to Carcassone where you pick one up and don't get to see it beforehand.

Cameron
Not weird at all. Besides the fact that they both use tiles, they are completely different games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.