Subject: Differences between original and reprint? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tomas Lundin
Sweden
Åtvidaberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking to pick up Combat Commander. But before I do, are there any important differences between the two "editions" (important enough to look for one or the other when buying)? Advice needed! surprise

/ towncrier

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy Nowak
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was explained quite well in this thread.

But this summarizes it best -

RPardoe wrote:
The original pre-order of Combat Commander did include 2 bonus scenarios (#101 and #102) that were not included with the second printing. These bonus scenarios are now available for download from GMT's site.

As for the game itself, the only differences were:

v1.1 rulebook
fixed German card #48 (called its order an action)
fixed pillbox count on American cheat card (information only, no impact on game play)
pinlines added to the hills on maps 11 & 12 for clarity

There were some cosmetic changes between the two printings. The maps are back-printed (meaning there is a map on the front and back of each mapsheet. The paired up maps are a little different:

First printing: 1/4 2/3 5/8 6/7 ....
Second printing 1/2 3/4 5/6 7/8 ....

Another cosmetic change...the counters on the first printing countersheet are only connected at the corners. The counters on the second edition of the second printing are also connected in the middle of each side. This results in a small tab that might be difficult to remove if you trim your counters.

But despite that long explanation - the changes in the second printing are minor indeed. I have the first printing and no one has ever noticed the small items that were changed (fixed) in the second printing. Both printings are eminently playable. And you will get the same stuff in both copies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. The first edition is out of print so you'd better hurry and order the second one while it still is available! laughlaughlaugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Memory says that the second edition also included a free counter-tray. True or faulty memory?

In any case, buy either one and start having BIG fun.

Chick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M·ANTONIVS·M·F·M·N
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Mein Luftkissenfahrzeug ist voller Aale
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are the sort that clips counters the way that the second edition counters are attached is kind of a big deal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Lundin
Sweden
Åtvidaberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for answers. I'll get the game, seems great. I'm trying to get my brother into wargames and this might work. angry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Santos
Portugal
Soa Pedro de Moel
flag msg tools
Yes, counter attachment is a big deal if you care for the look of the thing. I can't understand why counters are ever done with those extra lugs. They end up looking very inferior whatever careful clipping you do (and it's a lot). The counter sheets should be re-printed at some point to match those in the first printing (and CC:M and CC).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
pedrosantos wrote:
I can't understand why counters are ever done with those extra lugs.

It was a first-time-printer's mistake when they did not fully understand the manufacturer's specifications. GMT has informed me that the printer has been squared away and this sort of thing should not occur again with their games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I was very disappointed to see the 'side sprue' tabs on the counters. I drives me crazy every time I play. Especially after playing CC with its nice clean corner clipped counters shake I know it isn't a deal breaker, but I wish I would have kept my 1st edition way back when.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fritz Mulnar
Germany
Berlin
not Bavaria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yes, second printing has an extra countertray inside.
perhaps as an excuse for aformentrioned countermiscuts.
darn! they look really awful! arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah. Just play the game. Before you know it, the nubs will be worn off by USE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.