Adam Ruzzo
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So we just played the 2nd mission last night, and i have to say I'm kind of disappointed. The first mission was so very hard for a new marine player to win (i still havn't won it yet) but the second is so incredibly easy for any marine player to win.

The win conditions are either push forward and try and stop the stealers from spawning, or just wipe them all out when the GS player runs out of blips (special scenario rule).

I played GS first and my opponenet tried to get his marines close enough to the entrances to force a win by preventing the lurking of GS. He actually did succeed in this case until we realized that the GS get their turn before you check for victory. At this point i was able to pull some lucky rolls and open up the entrances and win.

Then on my turn as marines, the only thing i did was set up crossfires in the long hallways and put my marines on overwatch. That's ALL i did the entire game and the GS never had a chance. I never lost one guy and i don't think i ever even got into melee. This seems ridiculously easy for the marine player. Were we playing this wrong somehow? I may have found my least favorite mission so far (also played "clense and burn).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
Shameless plug time!

Check under "strategy" for my thread on genestealer strategies.

If you are still having trouble, check under "variants" for some changes to the mission structure.

Happy hunting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jackman
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had a somewhat similar experience. I intend on just leaving in the 4 2-blips next time i play - the 2 extra turns and 8 extra stealers would probably make it more interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph LaClair
United States
Watertown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This particular scenario would benefit from just playing 1st edition rules. When you jam you lose overwatch and you don't get a sustained fire bonus during overwatch. That's really about all you have to change.

This was not an easy one for the stealer in the 1st edition, with 2nd edition rules this one is all but broken.

The problem is just as you stated, the marines just have to stay put and shoot away. Since your not moving, ALL of your command points are saved for unjamming and since you don't lose overwatch the marines have it a bit too easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Watney
United Kingdom
Welwyn Garden City
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
played this today as SM, and my strategy was thus:

+ sprint SM down to lower spawn points ASAP with command points, and hold it until all blips are out

+ hold 4th room from bottom (below a corridor chokepoint) and hold it with much overwatch

went all according to plan (despite the assault cannon running out of ammo at wrong time, and got a bit lucky with one awesome round of overwatch fire. have come up with tactics for both sides

Marines: get a man down to the lower set of entry areas ASAP. its only 14 tiles distant from starting points, compared with 20 for the others. hold chokepoints, and be conservative. back up everyone, especially assault cannon. a few misses and some wasted ammo and hes just dead weight.

Genestealers: if youre not going to throw in 2 blips at the bottom, throw in a 3 and reveal it early. 1 secret blip isnt nearly as useful as outnumbering the marines down here. will force them to send down 2 to deal with it, or be flanked and killed. if you dont keep this area open, you will have massive problems dealing with the marines at the top. otherwise its usually best to wait until all blips have arrived to throw them at the marines all at once.

another good one is to have genestealers charge from the topmost corner room, to trigger a jam. after this, you can get the rest of your gribblies in from the t-junction, and get the numbers in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Quimpo
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't like it, I felt it was broken in the sense that situations will arise where in the correct thing to do is to do nothing, or just to stalemate it.

Once the Space Marines have settled into an excellent defensive position, there is little the Genestealers can do. One of the sides MUST have a reason to keep pushing, like a turn limit or something.

Normally, it is the Space Marines that are pressured, because of the infinite reinforcements of the Genestealers. In this case however, they can just hunker down and defend. BUT there isn't anything pushing the Genestealers either.

It's like a fight between two passive forces. Very meh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, our experience with this Mission seemed startingly similar to the OP's. Well we played 2 games and in the first, I just set Overwatch and used long corridors of fire to wipe out the GeneStealers - didn't even bother trying to win by getting to the entrances.

My friend asked me why he should come after me with his GeneStealers, since there was no Turn limit and I couldn't think of a reason so he eventually just attacked and I won.

(Interestingly, I've run into a similar scenario with some HeroScape match-ups but that game doesn't have that particular issue with its tourney games, since they're timed and scored by surviving unit points.)

We still enjoyed the scenario and the game is fantastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Is Board
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I haven't played all the scenarios yet mind you, but Exterminate just seems *very* heavily weighted in favor of the marines; I intend on playing it very little (other scenarios played, I'm up to five I believe, have been great!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's worth bearing in mind where the mission comes from - it is a lift of the second mission in the 1st edition of Space Hulk. There it was challenging for the Marines, but not much more than the first mission.

There are however differences. Firstly the mission is played with 3rd ed rules - which seem slightly easier on the Marine. Secondly - and this is the biggy - it's played using a 3rd ed squad, including a thunder hammer-armed sergeant and the assault cannon.

In 1st ed, you didn't have the assault cannon, nor anyone capable of holding their own in close combat - it was literally find the best spots for your four* marines, and blaze away with storm bolters and hope not to see a jam. * yes, I know that there were technically 5 in a squad, but the heavy flamer was pretty hopeless in this mission, so the marine carrying it was regarded as something of a supernumerary.

I tried the mission a few times using one alternate figure from Deathwing - the assault cannon marine instead of the heavy flamer. It transformed the mission from something tense into a cakewalk, as the assault cannon pretty much guaranteed 15-20 kills. Give the assault cannon marine a bit of close combat protection, like a sergeant with a thunder hammer on guard, and I don't think "tame" is the word I'd use. "Turkey shoot", perhaps.

I guess that GW wanted to introduce Gideon's squad early on in the mission book's storyline, but I think that the mission would have been better with the same 5 participants from the 1st mission.

Try it that way, and see if it can still be described as tame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abdul Rahman Ibrahim
Malaysia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe the mission was designed to be tough on the stealer player? After all, not all the tension has to fall on the marines all the time. I also see this as the introductory mission for new marine players, instead of Suicide Mission. YMMV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henri Huttunen
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RDewsbery wrote:
I guess that GW wanted to introduce Gideon's squad early on in the mission book's storyline, but I think that the mission would have been better with the same 5 participants from the 1st mission.

Try it that way, and see if it can still be described as tame.

It could. Last night played this twice, both times all of my stealers died horribly in the hands of a single strombolter toting marine.

Long corridor with no alternative routes + room + no doors + marine backed against the wall with overwatch on + no need to move, all command points can be used to clear jams + ability to re-roll command points (sergeant was in the same room, no way to kill him) = massacre.

I tried getting one stealer as far in the corridor as possible (4 steps perhaps) and then stop moving to prevent OW fire and move everyone behind it, but since he could use then all leftover cp:s to blast away down the corridor after I had stopped moving and use all 4 normal movement points to just unload his bolter, it was no use. Always lost atleast couple of 'stealers, which ment I was right were I started. zombie

Since you have to kill every marine it makes no difference to attack different locations because even if you killed the others, you can't prevent all marines from getting in to that kind of killer positions. Sure, you could waste some cp:s from that position by attacking elsewhere, but at the same time you would lose numbers from your horde from that location, so it's a +/- thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Struebing
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I posted something identical in another area of the forum. Glad to see there is widespread consensus on this mission. Having only played 1st edition before, and now playing this, the new guy playing the Space Marines keeps looking over at me wondering why I keep wincing when I seem him clear jams on overwatch with command points. Still, I love me some Space Hulk!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.