Steve Dubya
United States
Scotia
New York
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I know where you live, and I've seen where you sleep. I swear to everything holy that your mothers will CRY when they see what I've done to you.
badge
Oh, not in Utica, no. It's an Albany expression.
mbmbmbmbmb
As I've been somewhat floundering as to what sort of game to try to lure my kids into the joys of RPing, it struck me that they really enjoy the toy aspect of it and thus it might not be a bad idea to invest in the D&D Heroscape when it eventually comes out (that, and they'll each be another 6 months + older so their comprehension will hopefully be a little better).

I'm spec-ing out extra terrain (for custom dungeons and such) as well as mats and got to wondering what current expansion sets might fit well with a more "straight D&D fantasy" feel - you know, where zombies and snake folk would be okay but killer robots might not work so well (or maybe so, depending on how close they could pass for Warforged).

Any experience before I just start trying to sift through the net as to what might be available?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I would suggest Heroscape Expansion Set: Fortress of the Archkyrie and Heroscape Expansion Set: Road to the Forgotten Forest for dungeon like terrain.

Heroscape Expansion Set: Fortress of the Archkyrie was selling quite reasonably on several web sites recently for as low as $10.99 a set.

Edit: Link

http://www.funagain.com/control/product?product_id=015702

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmmmmm...

My recommendation is the possibly out-of-print D&D Basic Set. It has everything you need to play in a box, and you can get more miniatures on the secondary market, now that WotC is no longer supporting the D&D Miniatures game system.

The "problem" with HeroScape miniatures are the bases. They aren't the standard 1" base, but you can easily fix this by prying off the bases and refitting them to 1" bases. Of course, your children probably don't care.

Descent also has "everything in a box", and you can use its 25mm miniatures in other systems.

I'd also ask this question on RPG.net. They should also have recommendations for kid-friendly RPGs. Becky Thomas runs RPGs for children, and can help you out: http://www.kublacon.info/kcsearch/kcindex.lasso?page=hits&li...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Dubya
United States
Scotia
New York
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I know where you live, and I've seen where you sleep. I swear to everything holy that your mothers will CRY when they see what I've done to you.
badge
Oh, not in Utica, no. It's an Albany expression.
mbmbmbmbmb
Helljin wrote:

Oh, I definitely have my eye on those two as well as the Heroscape Expansion Set: Ticalla Jungle. The Heroscape Expansion Set: Thaelenk Tundra and Heroscape Expansion Set: Volcarren Wasteland seem like they would be too specific for the amount of use they would actually see.

Sam and Max wrote:
My recommendation is the possibly out-of-print D&D Basic Set. It has everything you need to play in a box, and you can get more miniatures on the secondary market, now that WotC is no longer supporting the D&D Miniatures game system.

Oh, I've got a TON of D&D minis (well, not a TON, but a few). I'd prefer to start off playing the D&D Heroscape using just the Heroscape rules and then see if the kids were interested in more customizable rules (i.e., D&D 4E) and then use the Heroscape terrain and minis in conjunction with the rest of the minis.

Ideally what I'm looking for now is a good mix of more standard fantasy-esque Heroscape stuff that I could use to keep it more along the lines of "standard" D&D while playing by the Heroscape rules. Thus, I'm hoping to hear which parts of the various expansion sets (like Heroscape Expansion Set: Thora's Vengeance) might have the most "fantasy" bang for the buck.

I imagine that I can just keep searching and eventually I'll stumble across what I'm looking for, but if folks have the experience to push me in the right direction I'll take it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmmmm...

Yeah, I'd bug RPG.net for "kid-friendly" RPG fantasy games, considering you have all the miniatures.

What I used to do was just ask a player who didn't want to learn the RPG rules what sort of character they wanted to play, then create one for them. Then, when we played, I would translate what they wanted to do into the RPG mechanics, have them roll the dice, and tell them what happened. If they wanted to do too much, I would simply tell them they couldn't do it all.

I think by or before 5th grade, I was reading AD&D books, the white box probably much sooner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Roop
United States
Three Rivers
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
go to heroscapers dot com, hit the forums, and download a bunch of the custom cards.

ALOT of them are D&D mini's based, along with some Mageknight that you should be
able to find cheap. You should find at least 75 custom minis on there, for free,
that you can use cheaply. Also, ask around for someone who has the mini's from the first or second base sets. Alot of people will either give, or sell them to you
real cheap, and most of them are fantasy based.

Hope this helps,
Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.