12 Posts

Unhappy King Charles!» Forums » Rules

Subject: Define "on the map" one way or the other rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The phrase is found in numerous places. Sometimes the context includes the general's display boxes, sometimes not.

In particular:
16.0 FOG OF WAR
You cannot examine your opponent’s Brigades (on the Command Display, on the map or the stacks of unrecruited Brigades)

For the card "stripping the garrisons" do you count brigades in display boxes or not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spacegras
Canada
St. John's
NL
flag msg tools
Bring on the hordes, we have the sword that smote the Goblin of Gygaxnor.
badge
HooDoo Operator
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there,
From reading the card, "King Strips the Garrisons" # 92, I would INterpret that you do not count the brigades on the display, only the map.

If nine or fewer Royalist brigdes are on the map, place two brigades on the command display of king Charles and/or Rupert.

Since the card references both the map and the display distinctly, That's my interpretation.
Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
>Since the card references both the map and the display distinctly

non sequitor. Brigades assigned to a general can only be on the display.

>9 on the paper map seems like an incredibly large quantity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Чебурашка, ты настоящий друг!
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
Scheiß Inselaffen!
mbmbmbmbmb
Gronak wrote:
>Since the card references both the map and the display distinctly

non sequitor. Brigades assigned to a general can only be on the display.

No it's not. You can have brigades on the map, not assigned to a general, and you can have brigades in the display boxes assigned to a general. The rule is totally clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robin goblin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
You count all brigades physically placed on the map and all brigades on the display.

The brigades are in an army on the map, with the displays just being a way to manage which unit is with which general more easily than having multiple armies stacked together on the map as well as brigades that aren't attached to a general.

robin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
>You can have brigades on the map, not assigned to a general, and you can have brigades in the display boxes assigned to a general.

Yes.

>The rule is totally clear.

No. Sometimes "on the map" means on the paper playing surface only; sometimes it means either there or on the display, it may also sometimes mean only on the display.

Go look up all instances of the phrase in the rules & cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spacegras
Canada
St. John's
NL
flag msg tools
badge
HooDoo Operator
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, after reviewing some things, namely playing some test rounds, I'm not as sure about my prev post.

The fact that the units on the command display for the armies are technically on the board. If you took away the command display, you would have unweildy stacks moving around the board.
What are the other examples where different "on the map" situations exist.
I know there are some more cards/situations that refer to units on the map.

One of the questions that I now have about the "King Strips The Garrisons" card is, the royalist brigades being referred to, does it matter if they are led or unled?

I know that some of this nitpicking might be annoying some, but, I'm looking for a little clarification, official if possible.
Does on the map alway include all units, that are on the map and on the command display being led by the generals and LN's, or are there some exceptions to it?
When referring to the brigades on the map, does it refer to all brigades, both the led and unled?
IN play: Please confirm for me, any recruited general or brigade is in Play, correct? Something came up this morning, 12 hours ago, so I forget exactly what , but it made me question the definition of being in play.

Sorry again for the nit picking.
Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Buergel
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
Brigades "on the map" includes ones on Command Displays for all purposes. That includes Desertion as well as "King Strips the Garrisons".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robin goblin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Quote:
I know that some of this nitpicking might be annoying some, but, I'm looking for a little clarification, official if possible.

For clarification purposes: Josh and I are both members of the official answer team for UKC.

Robin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spacegras
Canada
St. John's
NL
flag msg tools
badge
HooDoo Operator
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey,
Thanks for the answers. I always appreciate it when team members take an active role in Q&A here on BGG.
Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Randall
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
noddingoff wrote:
Quote:

For clarification purposes: Josh and I are both members of the official answer team for UKC.

Robin

Yes. The Answer Team consists of Josh, Robin, myself, and Charles.

We try to keep Charles silent whenever possible, but on occasion he's been known to post using an Internet connection we haven't been able to block. Our crack IP hackers are working on that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Vasey
England
Mortlake, London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nrandall wrote:
noddingoff wrote:
Quote:

Robin

Yes. The Answer Team consists of Josh, Robin, myself, and Charles.

We try to keep Charles silent whenever possible, but on occasion he's been known to post using an Internet connection we haven't been able to block. Our crack IP hackers are working on that.

I was actually "on the map" - the Truro Area to be exact - on holiday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.