United Kingdom
Enfield
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The English rules translation says

Quote:
If the player chooses the arrow, their piece must be moved horizontally or vertically to the space in front of the nearest obstacle.

I had understood that the direction moved was the player's choice. Recently I was being persuaded that 'nearest' meant that the direction of travel had to be the shortest possible - i.e. if one wall was two spaces away and one was three, head towards the former.

This doesn't seem likely to me, but I can't explain why else the word 'nearest' is present. The German rules apparently say the same thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
As far as I can tell the rule is intended to mean that you choose the direction but then stop in front of the first obstacle; i.e., you don't move any distance you like in the chosen direction. This may seem obvious but this game is aimed at children and therefore errs on the side of having very explicit rules.

If the player had to move in the direction where the nearest obstacle was, the rule would be worded differently (unless the rules writer was very bad at their job).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel-André Casasola Merkle
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Right. You may choose the direction and have to stop at the first obstacle.

Best Marcel-André
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mitchell
United Kingdom
Enfield
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to you both!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.