United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
Here the truceless armies yet / Trample, rolled in blood and sweat; / They kill and kill and never die; / And I think that each is I. // None will part us, none undo / The knot that makes one flesh of two, /
badge
Sick with hatred, sick with pain, / Strangling -- When shall we be slain? // When shall I be dead and rid / Of the wrong my father did? / How long, how long, till spade and hearse / Puts to sleep my mother's curse?
mbmbmbmbmb
A. In Era 3, when you use 3 actions to perform an Urbanization, and you do so in a Resource hex to build a city (still called a Metropolis here?), do you get the benefits of a successful Resource Extraction die roll? For example, in Era 3 I use the Urbanization action to build a Metropolis in the Arabia hex - do I get the benefits of Oil (moving my Energy at least 1 bound to the right)?

B. When you move to Era 3 and are still in the Dark Ages, can you use any Elders Reset actions to unsuppress any public cards? Or must you move into the Era 3 Golden Age to do this?

C. In Era 2, when you get a Public Card that offers Urbanization as a card 'facilitated action', and you build a city in a Resource hex, do you get the benefit for successful extraction (die roll) of the Resource hex? (See similar question above).

D. Where do cubes that are eliminated in combat / siege / calamity (volcano) / etc. go? Back to the population track?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Klinkisch
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Rules quesitons
David Ells wrote:
A. In Era 3, when you use 3 actions to perform an Urbanization, and you do so in a Resource hex to build a city (still called a Metropolis here?), do you get the benefits of a successful Resource Extraction die roll? For example, in Era 3 I use the Urbanization action to build a Metropolis in the Arabia hex - do I get the benefits of Oil (moving my Energy at least 1 bound to the right)?

Nope, you only get a new Metropolis. But it's a faster way to get one than trying to domesticate something!! (true also for the public cards with the "urbanization" action)

Quote:
B. When you move to Era 3 and are still in the Dark Ages, can you use any Elders Reset actions to unsuppress any public cards? Or must you move into the Era 3 Golden Age to do this?

You can unsuppress them in a Dark Age.
Quote:

C. In Era 2, when you get a Public Card that offers Urbanization as a card 'facilitated action', and you build a city in a Resource hex, do you get the benefit for successful extraction (die roll) of the Resource hex? (See similar question above).

Nope, see above
Quote:
D. Where do cubes that are eliminated in combat / siege / calamity (volcano) / etc. go? Back to the population track?

No always Innovation. Rule of thumb: If it's bad -> innovation . It really sucks!! (You are not sending babies to war, but grown ups!!!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
Here the truceless armies yet / Trample, rolled in blood and sweat; / They kill and kill and never die; / And I think that each is I. // None will part us, none undo / The knot that makes one flesh of two, /
badge
Sick with hatred, sick with pain, / Strangling -- When shall we be slain? // When shall I be dead and rid / Of the wrong my father did? / How long, how long, till spade and hearse / Puts to sleep my mother's curse?
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

Here is another rules question. In Era 2 (for instance), when you are still in the Dark Ages and you draw a Public Card and you keep it (either because you won the auction or no one else bid on it) and it goes on your display 'suppressed' (face down), and if this card has a 'facilitated action' (e.g. 'Urbanization'), does that 'facilitated action' occur on the turn that you 'un-suppress' this card (either from 'elder reset' or by entering the Golden Age) or does it occur when you 'win' the Public Card? I'm thinking that it occurs when you un-suppress it. Is this correct?

Also, I was playing a game Saturday with some very sharp beginning players (only my 3rd game myself) and the issue of the 'facilitated action' on a Public Card came up - my opponent wanted to delay the free 'facilitated action' on the public card until a later turn, and since the rules weren't clear and he said if it wasn't prohibited then he could do this, and because I wanted to be fair and wait until I got a ruling on this, I let him delay implementing his 'facilitated action' ('Urbanization').

My question is, does the 'facilitated action' on a Public Card have to take effect / be used my the player on same turn that he acquires the Public Card, or can he somehow delay using it until a later turn. I think you have to use it on the turn you get the Public Card, but a quick answer here would help.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Klinkisch
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can use the "facilitated action" each turn during the corresponding step as if it where a normal action (you still have to "pay" the action to use it, though).
So the pyramids for example allow you to use 3 population actions to urbanize as if you were in Era III even if you are in era II.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A free 'facilitated action' each turn? Wow, that's huge. So it's not a one-time thing, very well then. Thanks for the quick reply!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's another question: how strict are the rules on card play, specifically, when you play a card, and you cannot take advantage of an action on the card (say 'Naturalist - Animal') because you are not near any such hexes (for whatever odd reason), but you want to take advantage of the Bound increase benefit of the card, as well as perhaps an Elder gain.

Can you still get the benefits of a card even if you did not / could not perform the action on it?

Also, can you play an Idea card just to discard it, without playing either the 'male' or 'female' part of the card, just discard it to 'play down to your hand' per Phase 3?

Also, in the rules for card play (Phase 3), the rules state that: "A player must play at least enough cards to get down to his Hand Size." What if a player's 'hand size' is 3 and he has 5 cards, can he play beyond his 'hand size' (i.e. minimum of 2 cards played). Could he play 3, 4 or even all 5 of his cards (assume for this question that all 5 cards are Idea cards)?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Klinkisch
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
David Ells wrote:
Here's another question: how strict are the rules on card play, specifically, when you play a card, and you cannot take advantage of an action on the card (say 'Naturalist - Animal') because you are not near any such hexes (for whatever odd reason), but you want to take advantage of the Bound increase benefit of the card, as well as perhaps an Elder gain.

If you can use the left side of card (meeting all requirements) it's up to you which icons you want to use except for Encephalizations which are mandatory (so careful if you don't want to end in Era II before you are ready to go!!).

Quote:
Can you still get the benefits of a card even if you did not / could not perform the action on it?

Not sure what you mean here, but see my first answer.

Quote:
Also, can you play an Idea card just to discard it, without playing either the 'male' or 'female' part of the card, just discard it to 'play down to your hand' per Phase 3?

Nope: you have to play either side when you play an idea card, even if it means that you are going to lose something.
Quote:

Also, in the rules for card play (Phase 3), the rules state that: "A player must play at least enough cards to get down to his Hand Size." What if a player's 'hand size' is 3 and he has 5 cards, can he play beyond his 'hand size' (i.e. minimum of 2 cards played). Could he play 3, 4 or even all 5 of his cards (assume for this question that all 5 cards are Idea cards)?

You must play down do your hand size but you can play more cards if you want to (really important to get out of chaos, for example )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you - this will help me play the game much better, which is good, since I will play it often!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One more rules question regarding Card Play.

The rules say that players may use an Innovation Action to 'ransack' (Imitator/Education) and take the top card off of another player's discard pile. My question is, after using this action and taking the 'top card' and putting in his hand to play in Phase 3 (this turn or later), may he then make another 'ransack' action against the same opponent and take the 'top card' (which had previously been underneath the first card)? I don't see rules prohibiting it, though I do know that one tactic to hide a good card that is useful to you and one that you don't want 'ransacked' by other players is to play several cards on your turn (down to your 'hand size' or less) in hopes of burying this card.

So can you perform more than 1 'ransack' of a given opponent's discarded cards in hopes of 'digging up' a good / desired card for your own use later?

Thanks!

PS. Just got the 4th Era cards & rules in the mail - great stuff!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Klinkisch
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
David Ells wrote:
So can you perform more than 1 'ransack' of a given opponent's discarded cards in hopes of 'digging up' a good / desired card for your own use later?

Yep!
That's why it's not always easy to bury a card if your opponent has his innovation track empty (happening right now in my pbem game!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are so awesome, thanks for answering my questions so quickly and precisely - AUSGEZEICHNET!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.