16 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Catan with Combat? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yard Ape
Canada
flag msg tools
Just got Cities & Knights, and it's saved our base Settlers from another layer of dust. Nonetheless, middle daughter said:

"I like it cause you can do more stuff, but I hoped it was going to be like Nexus Ops in Catan."

What a nice idea, I thought. Theme anywhere between Pre-history to Medieval, modular hex map, some building and some attacking, but fairly light mechanics and under 90 minutes.

Suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Catan with combat would probably have to be Catan Card Game, but it plays with cards rather than a hex map.

Vanished Planet is a coop in space that makes me think of SoC because you trade in items to build things you need.

Candamir: The First Settlers is in the Settlers family, and you roll attacks on bears and other skill challenges. Not a modular hex grid, but you do lay down tiles in different spots every time.

A modular hex map with building would be Mesopotamia, but not sure it'd satisfy any fighting urges.

Bionicle Adventure Game: Quest For Makuta has a modular map, is kind of a space/robot theme.

La Città has a customizable map, might run a little long time-wise, but has player v. player attacking/confrontation (you take their citizens) with lots of building. Lots of value for the price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P Pirilla
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played it yet, but when looking for about the same thing, I was pointed to Viktory

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Brune
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
HEY! That TICKLES!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm working on it

Picture the tile-laying from Carcassonne (only with triangles instead of squares), the settlements, cities, roads and ships from Catan/Catan: Seafarers, soldiers, calvary, and artillery from old-style Risk, only with combat resolution resembling Axis & Allies

Of course it won't be very marketable, unless I make it different enough to not really resemble any of those. Maybe something print-and-play, with bits kidnapped from other games in the closet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Viktory II though it's Napoleonic era.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest Catan Histories: Struggle for Rome. Barbarian tribes sack Roman cities and eventually settle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The map isn't variable, but Borderlands fits well otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Sweeney
United States
Clinton Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group uses a form of Cities & Knights allowed limited combat - we still like the idea of non-elimination.

First, We use the Progress Cards - they are purchased with one Stone, One Wheat and one card from the other groups (Lumber = Green, Brick = Blue and Sheep = Yellow). Cards which allow you to steal Commodity Cards (which we don't use) allow you to steal Progress Cards instead.

Second, the Knights can fight each other OR the Thief. They add their "level" to combat die rolls. In Knight vs Knight: The loser loses a level and a card (Level 1 Knights are eliminated). Ties cause both Knights to lose a level (attacking Knight returns to the intersection he came from). In Knight vs Thief: If the Thief ties or wins, the Knight loses a level and a card and the Thief can raid a Settlement or City (thus potentially getting 2 cards from the same player). If the Thief loses, the Knight can place the Thief anywhere a Knight does not influence and can raid a Settlement or City there (thus possibly gaining a Resource Card).

Third, we use some game changes. We remove the Desert and add a Mountain (stone is needed for Progress Cards and Knights). The Thief does not enter play until the turn after the first Settlement or City is built (re roll all 7s). The Thief, once in play moves on 2, 12 and/or 7. Players receive Resource Cards for both starting Settlements. Walls allow larger "safe" hand size.

Just a few changes - but it plays well, adds strategy and fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Henke
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, having played neither of these (though I'd like to try them), I'll throw these out:

Kings & Things (long out of print, believe it has what you want though...I think it's coming back in print isn't it?)

Conquest of the Fallen Lands...combat...kind of...modular...medival...claim spots

I'll have to let others who've tried them pipe up and shout 'em down if inappropriate, but they are what came to mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Van Zandt
United States
South Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
PlayTMG.com
mbmbmbmbmb
jhenke wrote:
OK, having played neither of these (though I'd like to try them), I'll throw these out:

Kings & Things (long out of print, believe it has what you want though...I think it's coming back in print isn't it?)

Conquest of the Fallen Lands...combat...kind of...modular...medival...claim spots

I'll have to let others who've tried them pipe up and shout 'em down if inappropriate, but they are what came to mind.

conquest OTFL is a great game, but the "combat" is not with the other players, and it's primarily an area control game, rather than a resource-management/trading game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kings & Things. Lucky me, I just reacquired a copy cheap from Ebay. (Possibly my old copy by the looks of it)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris J
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
. . . or just let me nibble your soul . . . .
badge
Electra Bellum. Electra Gloriosum.
mbmbmbmbmb
Viktory II by god! What a fantastic game!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
Nagold
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You just need some creativity and house rules. You take any flavour of Catan:

and add to it a medieval weapon from another well known game:

. As a result You get exactly what You want, Catan with Combat.

meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wot!
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
...i WILL own it all!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Gruumsh wrote:
I'm working on it

Picture the tile-laying from Carcassonne (only with triangles instead of squares), the settlements, cities, roads and ships from Catan/Catan: Seafarers, soldiers, calvary, and artillery from old-style Risk, only with combat resolution resembling Axis & Allies

Of course it won't be very marketable, unless I make it different enough to not really resemble any of those. Maybe something print-and-play, with bits kidnapped from other games in the closet?

as previously noted, I can recommend Viktory II
and have you looked at Border Reivers ?
?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Roop
United States
Three Rivers
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your best bet for catan with combat, fantasy setting is Battlemist, by Fantasy Flight Games.

Hex setup, wood wheat and ore resources, a great combat system by Christian, and on top of all that is a rather nice questing system for your heros. Kinda like Mighty Empires meets Catan.

Definitely worth a try if you can buy a copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nexus Ops
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.