Caylus» Forums » Sessions

Subject: A Cutthroat Veteran Takes on Four Friendly Newbies... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was invited over to a friend's game night last night for a game of Caylus. Being a huge fan of Calyus (with 40 plays), I was happy to join his little group for their game. I was told, however, that they didn't have a lot of experience with the game and when they did play it was a pretty casual, friendly affair. PErhaps I should have toned down my own play to better fit in but I couldn't help but go full throttle to see how well I could do as well as to show off some moves that might not have seen before..

We chose turn order randomly and I get fourth spot, making controlling the Provost quite atttractive. I take the 3-coin spot and then the Provost space on my second placement and then drop with no workers along the road ( Ithink I was third or fourth to drop). ONce everyone passed, we started activating buildings; I got my three coins then moved the Provost back three spaces. Later, at the Bridge segment, I spend three coins to move the Provost back another three spaces. At this point, they all looked at me like I just pissed in the fruit punch or something. I tried to explain my reasoning but that didn't seem to mollify them... I was told that that sort of move was unheard of in their games. In the end, I think only the first one or two squares along the road beyon the rbidge were scored, leaving the rest of the workers stranded.

The game continued from that point. I started off very slowly, totally ignoring building in the castle in the first two phases. I was more interested in setting up some massive points late in the game. At one point early on, I was 15 points behind the leader.

Late i nthe early gameI showed off a trick play by taking the Provost square and placing a worker on the Gate, which raised a few eyebrows as they had never seen that space used before. ONce everyone dropped I was able to pay a single coin to place on my double clothe building that was sitting on the Bailiff's square and then Gated a worker on to the double stone production right behind it. I secured this move by moving the Provost three spaces forward. It was a nice resource haul early on that gave me resources to buy favors and do some building.

The mid game lagged a bit and I started to worry as several buildings were built up to the gold mine and I wasn't making a whole lot of progress. BUt once we scored the second section, my game opened up and I made some big gains.

Using the Building Favor track and the Stone building productio nsquare I started building 6-point Stone buildings, including the building that converts gold to VP. Over two turns, I picked up about 20 points and took over the lead. I then continued buying buildings and using the CHurch (convert coins to VP) and the GOld to VP building to expand my lead. Feeling I was in the dominant position, I surprised everyone by moving the Provost forward, thus ending the game one turn sooner than they had expected.

MEanwhile, my opponents focused on building i nthe castle, which meant a lot of competition over resources (which slowed down the acquisition of batches) and left many of the other buildings wide open, which I exploited.

For the final turn, I didn't want to lose points in the castle so through some careful planning and a bit of luck I was able to acquire the needed resources to build three batches in the final round and giving me enough for the best builder bonus and a final favor when the section was scored at the end of the game. With the final favors I pushed the VP favor track forward, picking up 5 more points on top of the 9 VP I got in the castle on the final turn. I finished the game with zero coins and no resources.

I don't remember the exact final scores. I had about 65 points while second place had about 50. The final three players finished in the low to mid-40's.

SO, I may have ruffled a few feathers with my play but I think I showed them a few aspects of the game that they weren't that familiar with, such as the use of the Gate and using the provost to control the pace of the game. I did tell them that I had played the game a lot so I had plenty of advantages going into it. BUt it was fun for me, and I think they had fun too...

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great report. That actually sounds pretty funny. Hopefully they weren't too put out by your more "rough and tumble" style of play. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That first turn move does seem rather shaky. You spent just as much placing workers any anyone else, but for a gain of only 1 denier (for passing first), while at least one or two other players still got resources.

Also, depending on the worker placements, your opponents could have agreed to collectively pay to move the provost back up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateo jurasic
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
how to lose friends and distance yourself from people. But hey, at least you got to win!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mateooo wrote:
how to lose friends and distance yourself from people. But hey, at least you got to win!

If it is real friendship I doubt he will lose them because of a game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.