Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Trades » Game Valuations

Subject: War in the Pacific (SPI) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Franz Kafka
United States
St. Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just picked up a copy of War in the Pacific, and I'm not sure how much the condition would impact resale value. It's definitely not the "Like New" that I see in the BGG Marketplace for $275+. I couldn't find any recent sales on eBay either. It's definitely played, with tape on the maps to hold them together, and tape holding the box bottom together.

Also, any ideas how much value it might add if I actually inventory this beast? It's probably a huge time commitment to go through all 3,000+ counters, so I figured I'd leave that up to a buyer.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill the Pill
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Depends if it is the old one or the recent reprint. I'd say the old one has lost a lot of value since the reprint arrived.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz Kafka
United States
St. Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the old one by SPI. However, note that the Decision Games reprint retails for $420. It's not like there's suddenly a cheap substitute available.

See http://www.decisiongames.com/html/war_in_the_pacific.html
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill the Pill
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
My point is, if you are going to play a monster game, you want to play the shinyist, newest version, meaning a punched thirty-year old version will not be worth much.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DrFlanagan wrote:
My point is, if you are going to play a monster game, you want to play the shinyist, newest version, meaning a punched thirty-year old version will not be worth much.


Newer doesn't always mean better. Case in point: Warrior Knights.

And with the track record Decision Games has, is it worth risking $420 on them?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hoffman
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
DrFlanagan wrote:
My point is, if you are going to play a monster game, you want to play the shinyist, newest version, meaning a punched thirty-year old version will not be worth much.


Newer doesn't always mean better. Case in point: Warrior Knights.

And with the track record Decision Games has, is it worth risking $420 on them?


Their Luftwaffe reprint is problematic (at best); their RAF rework is excellent. As far as track-record goes, SPI certainly made their share of utter crap. Per some folks who actually play that monster, the WitP rework fixed some substantial playability issues at the full campaign level. Wish I could verify that personally, but I'm not at all a fan of games of that scale/scope.

Regardless of how you feel about DG, the SPI edition has crashed to earth value-wise, selling for around $125ish (the latest ebay sale was for GBP 111, which translates to about $185, but the miserable exchange rate has a lot to do with that). Seen it go as low as $80 for a punched copy, but the seller was one of those folks who refused to even post a picture of the contents of the box, so it was a huge "buyer beware" situation.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dogmatix wrote:
Regardless of how you feel about DG, the SPI edition has crashed to earth value-wise, selling for around $125ish (the latest ebay sale was for GBP 111, which translates to about $185, but the miserable exchange rate has a lot to do with that).


Exactly my point. Why drop the amount being asked for the new edition (despite the new bells and whistles), when the tried-and-true version is available for much less?

Quote:
...the seller was one of those folks who refused to even post a picture of the contents of the box, so it was a huge "buyer beware" situation.


True that. I spent $220 about 1-1/2 years ago for mine, which was unpunched, but I think I got the better end of that deal.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hoffman
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
dogmatix wrote:
Regardless of how you feel about DG, the SPI edition has crashed to earth value-wise, selling for around $125ish (the latest ebay sale was for GBP 111, which translates to about $185, but the miserable exchange rate has a lot to do with that).


Exactly my point. Why drop the amount being asked for the new edition (despite the new bells and whistles), when the tried-and-true version is available for much less?


I think one big reason was that the reworked rules were well received as an improvement over the original. One, of course, can't discount the "shiny new" factor too. A lot of wargames are still selling at a discount generally on ebay. It's picking back up but a lot of big-ticket items are still selling 20% below their previous "market standard."
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.