Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Stude
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The following game was my fourth of Battlestar Galactica in general, the first with Pegasus. It's sort of a follow-up to my "Gencon game" post for those who were interested in how my first Pegasus game ended up. The game raised a couple of questions, which I'll ask at the end of the session report.

For this game, Brandon was our president, Raven our Admiral, and yours truly was Cavil, the Cylon leader. I drew the sympathetic agenda card requiring a human win with 6 vipers/raptors damaged or destroyed.

The game started pretty quietly. In an effort to confuse the players about my motives, I stayed off Galactica the first few turns, occasionally using Cavil's "Primacy" action to launch ships I hoped would inflict the casualties I needed for that secondary goal. I hoped to achieve that secondary goal first and by that time have the crew muddle-headed enough about my goals that they wouldn't brig me the second I decided to infiltrate.

Things were going pretty well in this vein for a few turn cycles until a sequence of events sent the game spiraling completely out of control.

1) Scarcely one destination card into the game and with no suspicion at all, Cylon #1 revealed himself and moved off-ship, handing his remaining facedown loyalty card (since he was Baltar) to Raven, our acting Admiral. I didn't really see the value in this, figuring one less Cylon to mess with me on the Galactica would make it much less traumatic when I finally decided to infiltrate. As his reveal action, Cylon #1 threw Wade, our pilot, in the brig.

2) After Wade and Mike took their turns, Raven, nearly uncontested due to lack of cards among the human players, stole the presidency from our acting President and knocked our morale down to 5 due with a crisis card.

3) Despite figuring our Admiral was traitorous, our two remaining known human players had way too much to do between trying to keep themselves out of the brig, do something about our treasonous admiral, and manage the steadily increasing number of raiders and base stars flying around the Galactica. One more turn cycle of water bailing and Raven, on his turn, threw Mike in the brig, leaving one active human player on the ship. Life was looking pretty grim. On his turn Brandon had other ideas, but doing my best to remain impassive I convinced him he needed to throw Raven in the brig, NOW.

4) The brig check succeeded without much opposition, but unfortunately Raven was able to use Helena Cain's ability to execute a brigged player on HIMSELF, allowing him to jump to the Resurrection ship immediately without having to waste an action revealing himself.

5) Somewhere in the subsequent turn cycle, the space around Galactica swarming with so many raiders. heavy raiders, and civ ships that we'd nearly run out of ALL stocks (due in no small part to Cylon #1 playing his super crisis), Galactica managed to jump, but the same turn FOUR centurions got aboard.

With two human players in the brig and four centurions aboard, the rest of the game was pretty much a formality. With my secondary goal easily met, I infiltrated but things were so far gone it did little good. The turn before the game ended I managed to take out half of the centurions on three different actions using a combination of my once-a-game movement action to take two actions, an Executive Order, and a die reroll but it was too little, far too late. The game ended due to the remaining boarded Centurions taking over the ship (which was at least a little more novel than running out of resources) before the first sleeper phase had even occurred.

The expansion definitely adds a lot. The Cylon leader in particular is, as the manual states, tricky to play. You really want to be careful about concealing your agenda, but I'm concerned that players will automatically assume your disposition based on the agenda deck (sympathetic or otherwise) you draw your agenda card from at the beginning. You also want to be careful about holding onto that charade for too long. Seeing things disintegrating, I should probably have infiltrated a couple of turns earlier than I did in an effort to stem the tide as no doubt raptor/viper casualties would have mounted anyway without the need for me to to keep personally throwing ships at the Galactica. I doubt it would have mattered, but I might have at least gotten us to the sleeper phase.

So here are the questions that arose:

1) Once a Cylon jumps to the Resurrection Ship, he draws a super crisis card. This still only occurs when a Cylon reveals himself and since Raven executed himself he wasn't allowed to draw one. Although you're not allowed to move into the Resurrection Ship manually in the expansion, I searched through the rulebook and FAQ but wasn't able to find rules regarding how long you can stay there. This would seem to allow the Cylon player, once he reveals and moves to the Resurrection Ship, to spend multiple turns drawing multiple Super Crisis cards until he empties the deck, gets so many cards the humans can't possibly survive them all, or whatever, without ever moving off the location. This seems way, way broken - is this accurate?

2) For those who have been involved in games (using the base set or expansion or both) where one player has drawn both "You are a Cylon" cards in the first phase, have the humans had a prayer?

Thanks for reading!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Yes, in principle a cylon player could spend about 10 turns drawing the entire Supercrisis Deck. But that would be 10 turns where he draws only one skill card and takes no other actions at all. By the time he has all those Supercrisis cards the game should already be over.

2) I've never had this particular scenario, but it could only occur when Gaius Baltar is in the game and he has both cylon cards, the odds of this happening are rather small.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lapoleon wrote:
2) I've never had this particular scenario, but it could only occur when Gaius Baltar is in the game and he has both cylon cards, the odds of this happening are rather small.
Small, but it actually did happen in one of our games where I started out as Baltar. I was pretty sad to see them both (and more than a little surprised). Luckily for me another player showed up after a couple of turns, and since we had a couple of newbies we figured we'd call this a training run and start over. No objections here!

I'd probably have revealeed pretty early otherwise, at least trying to make it look like I did it at a good opportunity. Had I tried to pass off my remaining loyalty card(s) I would probably have risen some suspicion, especially since we haven't made it a habit of doing so when we reveal. For myself I can only say it's because I've usually won unrevealed, or had more pressing matters to force a win. In any case, it is indeed tough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
Germany
41472 Neuss
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't it so, that a player can only have ONE supercrisis and you can draw for new ones?

(I dont have the expansion)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but the Pegasus Expansion changes this and some other things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Stude
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, something else I failed to mention but intended to... if you play as a Cylon leader, especially the first few turns expect all eyes to be on you. Since the Cylon leader's skillset is fairly limited in terms of card draws it's not too difficult to discern what you play into skill checks the first few turns or so. If you're trying to conceal your intentions it's pretty important to occasionally use actions to draw cards from different skill sets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gawain wrote:
Yes, but the Pegasus Expansion changes this and some other things.
Shouldn't this session report be in the Pegasus Expansion entry then? This is sure to confuse some readers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In that case, where do you post when you play with more than one expansion? :) I think most people post session reports to the main game entry, expansions included or not. And it shouldn't be very confusing as he mentions in the very first sentence that they played with the expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Stude
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did make a mistake, intending to post this to the Pegasus forum but getting my wires crossed because I'd just responded to a previous post about my first session report (which WAS just the base game) letting people know I was about to post a second report. Whoops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gawain wrote:
In that case, where do you post when you play with more than one expansion? I think most people post session reports to the main game entry, expansions included or not. And it shouldn't be very confusing as he mentions in the very first sentence that they played with the expansion.
Well, BSG currently only has one expansion, so the question of "which expansion" doesn't apply here.

Theoretically, if a 2nd were to come out, my call would be we'd have to wait and see on that. If it requires both the base game and exp #1, then definitely put it in exp #2 entry. Otherwise, if it can use either one, I'd say put it in exp #2.

My main concern is merely out of being able to find things. You would (for the most part, I do acknowledge BGG has its quirks about this issue) expect all expansion material... photos, sessions, reviews, strategy guides, etc. to be posted into the exp entry is all.

And yep, I really did miss that first sentence of that session blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.