Subject: Custom deck ideas rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick the Greek
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I am new to magic, I have not much experience when it comes to a deck's viability. I have been coming up with crazy ideas and do not know if they are viable solutions.

For example, I have thought about an all red deck with:
25 mountains
15 1/1 goblins (than can be summoned with one mountain card)
20 fireball cards

Note: I could replace with some other cheap red colored creature with flying. I just need them for fodder, while I deal damage to the other player with fireballs. Even if my opponent has a few counterspell cards, he won't have enough to counter all my fireball cards.

Is this stupid? Please enlighten me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Catherine Short
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Nick,

Welcome to the other expensive hobby of Magic the Gathering. Firstly I would recommend buying a pre-constructed deck and play with that for a while until you know what makes a good deck. Then you will have more experience with deck building. There is a mono red intro pack from M10 that you may be interested in.

The deck you have mentioned does have some flaws. Firstly you are only allowed to have four of the same card, excluding basic lands. Secondly 25 mountains is a bit too much for a deck that has 15 one costing cards and burn.

Here is a mono red deck that you could base the deck on.

Creatures (27)
4 Tattermunge Maniac (2/1 that costs R)
4 Figure of Destiny (1/1 that cost R but has special abilities)
3 Jackal Familiar (2/2 for R)
4 Hellspark Elemental (3/1 for 1R with special ability)
4 Stigma Lasher (2/2 for RR)
4 Ball Lightning (6/1 for RRR)
4 Boggart Ram-Gang (3/3 for RRR)
Burn (10)
4 Lightning Bolt
2 Magma Spray
4 Flame Javelin
Land (23)
23 Mountain

It only has 23 mountains as the curve of the cards is very low. It has some early one drops, but the curve goes up to 3, so all the creatures are cheap. You do not want to get your opponent low on life just to find you only draw mountains or small creatures that look puny against their 5/5 creatures.

So add some creatures with a higher casting cost (but not too high) and reduce the land count. Good luck and have fun.

PS: There are lots of great websites specially for Magic the Gathering and deck building. I like using http://www.starcitygames.com/, but there is also
www.magicthegathering.com
http://mtgsalvation.com/
http://magic.tcgplayer.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick the Greek
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the explanation and the tips.

I have one more question though. Shouldn't all my creatures have the flying or reach abilities preferably? I say this because it could be a problem if my opponent has an all flying deck. I wouldn't be able to block anything! I have looked at the Magic Gatherer website and used the search function. Apparently, there are some cheap creatures that have either of those abilities, and there are creatures for every type of color! Shouldn't I go buy those creatures instead of building my deck on weak ground creatures?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Buel
United States
Hollywood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ramza01 wrote:
Since I am new to magic, I have not much experience when it comes to a deck's viability. I have been coming up with crazy ideas and do not know if they are viable solutions.

25 mountains
20 fireball cards

Note: I could replace with some other cheap red colored creature with flying. I just need them for fodder, while I deal damage to the other player with fireballs. Even if my opponent has a few counterspell cards, he won't have enough to counter all my fireball cards.

Hi!

Always glad to see a new player building decks.

A few things immediately come to mind.

First, you normally aren't allowed to use more than four of the same card in a deck, except for basic lands. This means that your 25 Mountain is OK, but that you can't literally run 20 cards named "Fireball." You could only run 4 Fireball. I suppose you probably meant that you want to run 20 red cards that do direct damage and that these cards would remind you of Fireball. In other words, what people call "burn spells."

If that's true, here are a handful of good red common burn spells.

Lightning Bolt
Seal of Fire
Incinerate
Fireball
Arc Lightning

There are a million of them, of course. Also, there are plenty of good uncommons and good rares.

Second, a deck that runs a lot of cheap creatures does not need 25 lands. That's too many. You're going to be drawing lands a lot of times when you wish you were drawing something else. Try only 20 lands.

Third, there's no reason to arbitrarily say that all your Goblins will be 1/1s. There are plenty of good Goblins that are larger than that. Goblin King, for example, is a pretty good creature at three mana for a 2/2. Goblin Warchief, also. So don't limit yourself to only running 1/1 Goblins.

Of course, I could go on all day about how to build a Goblin deck. After all, some of the best decks ever built have been Goblin decks, and we could just copy those. But I only wanted to say a few things, because discovering what you like about your own decks is part of the fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick the Greek
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate the help! But what do you think about the idea of an all flying deck without ground creatures (unless those have reach)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I want to believe
badge
*distinctive theme song whistle*
mbmbmbmbmb
An all flying deck could be fun-- you just have to make sure to keep an eye on the speed of your deck. When you add flying to a creature, it tends to knock the casting cost up a bit. If you can't play any creatures the first couple of turns because all the cards in your hand cost 3 or 4 or more mana, you might fall behind and have a hard time catching up. There are some cheap flyers, though, so keep your eyes peeled for cards that can come out early and go right over the opponent's creatures

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Red is not the colour for cheap and fast flying creatures. If you want to play flyers, try using blue or white. A blue-red or white-red deck that started with fast flyers and finished off the opponent with burn is viable.

However, all red decks with small creatures and burn are a staple of Magic, but they don't tend to have a lot of flyers in them. Their evasion generally comes in the form of
a) their opponents can't get enough creatures out to block them in time
b) Their opponents' blocking creatures have all died to damage-dealing spells.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jartim wakley
United Kingdom
Idaho
flag msg tools
dbuel wrote:
Ramza01 wrote:

25 mountains
20 fireball cards

Hi!

First, you normally aren't allowed to use more than four of the same card in a deck, except for basic lands. This means that your 25 Mountain is OK, but that you can't literally run 20 cards named "Fireball." You could only run 4 Fireball. I suppose you probably meant that you want to run 20 red cards that do direct damage and that these cards would remind you of Fireball. In other words, what people call "burn spells."

Lightning Bolt
Seal of Fire
Incinerate
Fireball
Arc Lightning

There are a million of them, of course. Also, there are plenty of good uncommons and good rares.

Second, a deck that runs a lot of cheap creatures does not need 25 lands. That's too many. You're going to be drawing lands a lot of times when you wish you were drawing something else. Try only 20 lands.

Third, there's no reason to arbitrarily say that all your Goblins will be 1/1s. There are plenty of good Goblins that are larger than that. Goblin King, for example, is a pretty good creature at three mana for a 2/2. Goblin Warchief, also. So don't limit yourself to only running 1/1 Goblins.

Of course, I could go on all day about how to build a Goblin deck. After all, some of the best decks ever built have been Goblin decks, and we could just copy those. But I only wanted to say a few things, because discovering what you like about your own decks is part of the fun.
Hi i'm ne to magic so i could use some help.By the way i'm wakleyguy.Here is my deck idea.

1 Kyren Snipe
1 Zealous Inquisitor
1 order of the stars
1 sunspear shikari
1 mine beare
1 opal acrolith
1 sokenzan spellblade
1 holy day
1 honar guard
1 pious warrior
1 shatter
2 iron myr
1 reflexes
1 barrage ogre
1 prodigal pyromancer
1 flameborn hellion
1 zuberi, golden feather
1 stormfront pegasus
1 diving griffin
1 claws of valakut
1 hoard-smelter dragon
1 panic spellbomb
1 elite vanguard
2 vulshock replica
1 goblin war buggy
1 oxida scrapmelter
1 arc trail
1 centaur safeguard
1 sandsower
1 conquering manticore
1 abuna acolyte
11 plains
8 mountains
like i said i'm new at this.please help this is my plains and mountains ://

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jartim wakley
United Kingdom
Idaho
flag msg tools
cj1582 wrote:
Hi Nick,

Welcome to the other expensive hobby of Magic the Gathering. Firstly I would recommend buying a pre-constructed deck and play with that for a while until you know what makes a good deck. Then you will have more experience with deck building. There is a mono red intro pack from M10 that you may be interested in.

The deck you have mentioned does have some flaws. Firstly you are only allowed to have four of the same card, excluding basic lands. Secondly 25 mountains is a bit too much for a deck that has 15 one costing cards and burn.

Here is a mono red deck that you could base the deck on.

Creatures (27)
4 Tattermunge Maniac (2/1 that costs R)
4 Figure of Destiny (1/1 that cost R but has special abilities)
3 Jackal Familiar (2/2 for R)
4 Hellspark Elemental (3/1 for 1R with special ability)
4 Stigma Lasher (2/2 for RR)
4 Ball Lightning (6/1 for RRR)
4 Boggart Ram-Gang (3/3 for RRR)
Burn (10)
4 Lightning Bolt
2 Magma Spray
4 Flame Javelin
Land (23)
23 Mountain

It only has 23 mountains as the curve of the cards is very low. It has some early one drops, but the curve goes up to 3, so all the creatures are cheap. You do not want to get your opponent low on life just to find you only draw mountains or small creatures that look puny against their 5/5 creatures.

So add some creatures with a higher casting cost (but not too high) and reduce the land count. Good luck and have fun.

PS: There are lots of great websites specially for Magic the Gathering and deck building. I like using http://www.starcitygames.com/, but there is also
www.magicthegathering.com
http://mtgsalvation.com/
http://magic.tcgplayer.com/
Hi i'm ne to magic so i could use some help.By the way i'm wakleyguy.Here is my deck idea.

1 Kyren Snipe
1 Zealous Inquisitor
1 order of the stars
1 sunspear shikari
1 mine beare
1 opal acrolith
1 sokenzan spellblade
1 holy day
1 honar guard
1 pious warrior
1 shatter
2 iron myr
1 reflexes
1 barrage ogre
1 prodigal pyromancer
1 flameborn hellion
1 zuberi, golden feather
1 stormfront pegasus
1 diving griffin
1 claws of valakut
1 hoard-smelter dragon
1 panic spellbomb
1 elite vanguard
2 vulshock replica
1 goblin war buggy
1 oxida scrapmelter
1 arc trail
1 centaur safeguard
1 sandsower
1 conquering manticore
1 abuna acolyte
11 plains
8 mountains
like i said i'm new at this.please help this is my plains and mountainsjavascript://

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jartim wakley
United Kingdom
Idaho
flag msg tools
dbuel wrote:
Ramza01 wrote:

25 mountains
20 fireball cards

Hi!

Lightning Bolt
Seal of Fire
Incinerate
Fireball
Arc Lightning

1 Kyren Snipe
1 Zealous Inquisitor
1 order of the stars
1 sunspear shikari
1 mine beare
1 opal acrolith
1 sokenzan spellblade
1 holy day
1 honar guard
1 pious warrior
1 shatter
2 iron myr
1 reflexes
1 barrage ogre
1 prodigal pyromancer
1 flameborn hellion
1 zuberi, golden feather
1 stormfront pegasus
1 diving griffin
1 claws of valakut
1 hoard-smelter dragon
1 panic spellbomb
1 elite vanguard
2 vulshock replica
1 goblin war buggy
1 oxida scrapmelter
1 arc trail
1 centaur safeguard
1 sandsower
1 conquering manticore
1 abuna acolyte
11 plains
8 mountains
like i said i'm new at this.please help this is my plains and mountains

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
wakleyguy wrote:

1 Kyren Snipe

That's a lot of cards to digest, and I'm not going to go through all of them, but a couple things immediately come to mind:

1) There doesn't seem to be enough land. 23 is a good rough number. Since you have two mana myr, you could drop it to 22, and if you think that you have a lot of cheap spells, you could maybe try 21.

2) Rather than having single copies of a bunch of spells, the deck will play better with multiples of the best spells. That way you'll draw those cards more consistently. That said, a deck with one-of's can be more fun, because you never know what you're going to draw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jartim wakley
United Kingdom
Idaho
flag msg tools
its me again here is a better deck

15 islands
1 coral merfolk
1 soratami mindsweeper
1 storm crow
1 dream thrush
2 silver myr
1 merfolk of the pearl trident
2 sky eel school
1 soratami mirror guard
2 spiketail hatchling
1 darkslick drake
1 lurking informant
1 flight
1 grafted exoskeleton
1 barbed battle gear
1 sandbar merfolk
1 snapping drake
1 jolting merfolk
1 prodigal sorcerer
1 exclude
1 wind drake
1 riptide pilferer
1 sky ruin drake
1 physic venom
1 dream leash
1 goliath sphinx
1 vedalken aethermage
1 sobluesobluewizened snitches javascript://

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Vollick
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ramza01 wrote:

25 mountains
20 fireball cards

Don't let anyone tell you: "you can't play with more than 4 copies of a card in your deck." It's not legal in most tournaments but if that's what you want to do that's fine.

Way back in the early days of magic I had a deck of 10 Swamps, 10 Dark Rituals and somewhere between 20 and 30 Plague Rats. I would play anyone for ante.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jartim wakley
United Kingdom
Idaho
flag msg tools
[q="wakleyguy"]its me again here is a better deck

15 islands
1 coral merfolk
1 soratami mindsweeper
1 storm crow
1 dream thrush
2 silver myr
1 merfolk of the pearl trident
2 sky eel school
1 soratami mirror guard
2 spiketail hatchling
1 darkslick drake
1 lurking informant
1 flight
1 grafted exoskeleton
1 barbed battle gear
1 sandbar merfolk
1 snapping drake
1 jolting merfolk
1 prodigal sorcerer
1 exclude
1 wind drake
1 riptide pilferer
1 sky ruin drake
1 physic venom
1 dream leash
1 goliath sphinx
1 vedalken aethermage
1 sobluesobluewizened snitches im in the U.S not the U.K

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stanton
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless there's a very good reason for running a lot of '1 of', don't.

Basic Deckbuilding 101- (this dates back some 15 years now)
Pick 5 creatures, put 4 copies of each into deck
Pick 5 spells, put 4 copies of each into deck
Put 20/21 appropriate land into deck

Play this, play this a lot. You will soon see what creatures & spells need fewer copies, which aren't working at all & need to replaced, if the Land needs adjusting (up or down)
Play it some more.....repeat

If you only have 1 or 2 copies of a particular creature, see if you have something that does close to the same thing for the same cost & make up a 'pocket' of 4 that way.

All very basic isn't ever going to be quite what you want but it's going to be a big step in the right direction & with more deckbuilding practice, you can skip a few steps & get closer to the final build sooner.

Regarding the Goblins idea- it's a decent idea, has worked well in the past & will no doubt continue to be viable in the future.
It's asset is speed. It needs to get creatures out & attacking quickly (Red is the colour of attacking the turn they come into play) so look for that. Run plenty of 'fireball-type' spells but focus on Instants. Their main job is clearing a path for your creatures....& only after that for doing damage to your opponent
Land-wise, the red decks of my time were running 16-18 - most of them just fodder for Fireblast or Seismic Assault
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ummm, so you do know that you need 60 cards in a deck, right? Your decks are short.

And if you're going to put more than 4 of a particular card (other than basic lands), you should let your opponents know. I would think most people wouldn't be cool with that. It's against the official rules, which is why Plague Rats aren't in print, and Relentless rats are (they specifically say you can put any number of them in your deck).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Raffuse
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ramza01 wrote:

I have one more question though. Shouldn't all my creatures have the flying or reach abilities preferably? I say this because it could be a problem if my opponent has an all flying deck. I wouldn't be able to block anything! I have looked at the Magic Gatherer website and used the search function. Apparently, there are some cheap creatures that have either of those abilities, and there are creatures for every type of color! Shouldn't I go buy those creatures instead of building my deck on weak ground creatures?

In general, every strategy you can think of for a deck in Magic has some foil. For example, if you have an all flying deck, your opponent could play cards that do damage only to flying creatures.
Rather than worrying about someone having that all flying deck, you might consider adding some cards to your deck that can kill creatures, regardless of what they are. If you're in red, those burn spells that can target creatures will do nicely.
Also, note that modern cards are (for the most part) balanced. While there are a few examples of cards that are "strictly better" than other cards, usually you are trading one attribute for another. To take flying as an example, if you compare two basic creatures of the same color, one with flying and one without, the one with flying will either be more expensive to cast, or have a lower power and/or toughness. Let's pretend the all flyer deck (the air force) played against the all ground creature deck (the army). Assuming they both drew similarly, every turn the air force would play a flyer and the army would play a slightly larger ground pounder. Now, the army will always win that race because its larger creatures outclass the air force in one-on-one combat. Sure, the army can't block, but it doesn't need to because it will attack for more damage each turn and thus win the race.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What he said, except I would have switched the two paragraphs. The danger of someone using Hurricane or something is not as bad as having smaller creatures than your opponent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.