Space Hulk (third edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Sustained fire question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do I get a sustained fire bonus ONLY immediately after shooting or it still counts later on?

For instance, let's say during my (SM) turn I move my Marine three times and shoot at a Stealer. I then move the other guys, and then (before the GS turn) I decide to spend one CP so that that first Marine can take another shot at the same Stealer. Does he get sustained fire bonus or not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Corn
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the conditions in which sustained fire is lost is "if a model other than the target takes an action" (common sense says the shooting model's action is not included in this...).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Kaaskop
msg tools
baba44713 wrote:
Do I get a sustained fire bonus ONLY immediately after shooting or it still counts later on?

For instance, let's say during my (SM) turn I move my Marine three times and shoot at a Stealer. I then move the other guys, and then (before the GS turn) I decide to spend one CP so that that first Marine can take another shot at the same Stealer. Does he get sustained fire bonus or not?

CP in marine turn can be spend like AP. The Marines turn should be planned that way that no swapping between units is happening. As i would understand you need to plan the use of CP before going to a new unit and its for that matter not allowed to reactivate it with CP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Moody
United States
Mason
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Rob,

Thanks for all the hard work on the FAQ. I hope that we all get some real, unambiguous answers soon. Are you planning to work some of the new info you have received from GW into your FAQ post?

Are you saying that the word, Target, is referring to the shooting SM? I always thought it meant the targeted GS--thus applying only during the GS turn. Of course I admit that like so many of the rules, the matter could have been stated so much more clearly by a careful writer using playtest results.

P.S. Have they said anything about flaming friendlies? I am willing to bet that this issue comes up in almost every new player's 1st game and it is amazing that it is unaddressed in the rules.

Lance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fivepast
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ineedthatgame wrote:
CP in marine turn can be spend like AP. The Marines turn should be planned that way that no swapping between units is happening. As i would understand you need to plan the use of CP before going to a new unit and its for that matter not allowed to reactivate it with CP.

Although the rulebook itself is vague on that point, this month's White Dwarf confirms that in fact you can re-activate a model using Command Points. Have a look at the bottom of page 36.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Corn
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops, no, I meant the target is like you said, the target Genestealer.

The rule about sustained fire being broken if something other than the target takes an action is to account for CP usage. If a Marine is shooting at a Genestealer, ends his turn, then another Marine moves, then a CP is spent to have the first Marine shoot again, his sustained fire is lost.

Also based on the Games Workshop feedback, the FAQ will probably say that moving a Marine using CPs is allowable in the middle of a Marine's action point usage (you could move a Marine 2 spaces, spend a CP to move another Marine, then come back to the first marine to finish his remaining 2 APs).

The flamer question will probably be "yes, you can flame your own Marines" (I updated the original flame question post).

I haven't updated the master FAQ list because I was specifically asked not to. Not sure why, but GW was nice enough to give BGG a sneak peek at the answers so I'll definitely honor the request.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Kaaskop
msg tools
Fivepast wrote:
ineedthatgame wrote:

Although the rulebook itself is vague on that point, this month's White Dwarf confirms that in fact you can re-activate a model using Command Points. Have a look at the bottom of page 36.

I dont read white dwarf mate but cheers for the info. So only base AP's should be spend without swapping units and the CP can be used in any order?

For the OP, this info is quite crucial for the answer As when that swapping is not allowed you simple dont have a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct, CPs are exceptions to APs, they can be spent at any time on any marine during the marine's turn (and during the stealer's turn, if a marine witnesses an action).

Me, personally, I would probably allow it since I feel the missions tend to lean against the marines and they need as many breaks as they can get especially with this weakened Sustained Fire bonus, though do think it's a bad idea, since arugments can arise as to remembering who did what...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fivepast
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ineedthatgame wrote:
I dont read white dwarf mate but cheers for the info. So only base AP's should be spend without swapping units and the CP can be used in any order?

For the OP, this info is quite crucial for the answer As when that swapping is not allowed you simple dont have a problem.

Now I look at it, the rulebook isn't actually as vague as I thought - page 11 also confirms that a model that has used all of its Action Points can be activated again using Command Points.

The White Dwarf article says using Command Points that way makes them "...fundamental to the Space Marine Player's chance of succeeding in a mission."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 19 just above shooting at doors.

The sustained fire is lost - or if a model other than the target takes an action.

Basically if another SM or GS takes an action you cannot come back to the original SM and get the SF bonus.

Answer - No you do not get the sustained fire bonus in your example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.