Space Hulk (third edition)» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Heavy Weapons - which is stronger? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dale Quimpo
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinking about it, it seems that the Assault Cannon is better than the Heavy Flamer in almost every aspect, it can kill more units on the average, it can go into overwatch and it also has more range.

In what situations would a Heavy Flamer be stronger or more useful than an Assault Cannon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henri Harju
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The obvious answer would be, when you need to advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom

Carmel
New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When stealers are hiding in corners in a room, or when they are bunched up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Corn
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Blocking off areas, ahead or behind, to ensure no Genestealers come through. Creating Genestealer bottlenecks is always a good thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The flamer is best for attacking locations, not enemies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Assault Cannon is a LOS weapon, whereas the Flamer is an Area effect weapon and can potentially hit alot of things you cant see. A careless Genestealer player can end up with a pile of purple ashes if they cluster in a section and the flamer happens to get into position to burninate them.

In 1st Ed the AC did a burst of 3d6 with a hit on 5+ and has 10 shots. But could fire in full auto and rake *everything* in sight, now hitting on a 4+ but using 5 shots up. So it has anywhere from 2-10 shots.
But, if you reload and fire it after the 10th round is used up, theres a chance it will catastropically break, killing the user and likely anything nearby.

The Flamer has 6 shots and kills anything in the targeted section on a 2 or better of a d6 roll. It doesnt jam. But it cannot be used in overwatch. It can be deliberately set to detonate, flaming the sector the user was in. The flames persist till the end of the Genestealers turn. So thay make perfect temporary barricades too.

So, at least in 1st ed. They both have strengths and weaknesses. Both are devastating when used at the right moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I loved the AC burst in 1st ed and wonder why they took it out. The coolest thing was that not only did you mow down everything in your LOS, LOS was recalculated after removing a model. So not only do you kill that one stealer in front of you, you had a good chance of killing his 7 friends behind him.

3rd Ed did retain the Malfunction rules though, so it's still a deadly weapon...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
I loved the AC burst in 1st ed and wonder why they took it out. The coolest thing was that not only did you mow down everything in your LOS, LOS was recalculated after removing a model. So not only do you kill that one stealer in front of you, you had a good chance of killing his 7 friends behind him.

3rd Ed did retain the Malfunction rules though, so it's still a deadly weapon...

-shnar

When you think about it the 3rd edition rules are more realistic. In theory an SM with AC would have burnt his whole magazine in one fire under 1st edition rules. I quite like the 3rd edition AC rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Watney
United Kingdom
Welwyn Garden City
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
youll see why an assault cannon isnt so great when you run out of ammo in the middle of overwatch. unless you saved 6 CP to reload and overwatch, youre in deep gribble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chimaera wrote:
shnar wrote:

-shnar

When you think about it the 3rd edition rules are more realistic. In theory an SM with AC would have burnt his whole magazine in one fire under 1st edition rules. I quite like the 3rd edition AC rule.

Hrm? The 3rd Ed rules are identical to 1st Ed with the removal of full-auto. No other difference, so really in 1st Ed, you have the 3rd Ed rules if you never go full auto. At least in 1st Ed, you have the *option* of using a burst or not.

And in 1st ed. he only burns through half his ammo, not the full clip (i.e. 5 shots)...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Watney
United Kingdom
Welwyn Garden City
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i have a feeling it may have been taken out as the opportunity to use it effectively was so rare (6+ genestealers all in the same room and in LoS) it wouldnt be missed.

'Overkill' however...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

ShNar, tell me you did nt open your Christmas present

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't

But I did get a peek at the rules a while ago, so learned of the Lightning Claws changes then. I was a bit disappointed though, since LCs were on paper cool, but in practice very unpredictable. With only +1, *very* weak now...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.