Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game – Pegasus Expansion» Forums » General

Subject: Too easy being a Cylon? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luis E. Hernández

Puerto de Sagunto, Valencia, SPAIN
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have always thought that a Cylon who reveals himself from the beginning will surely win the game. I have been tempted to do it when I have been a Cylon, but never did it because I thought it wasn´t challenging. However, with the new Cylon Leaders, you are revealed from the beginning and don´t have a choice. We have played twice with them, and both were sympathetic. Fist time, the Leader would have won with the humans and with the resources at 3 or less. He didn´t success. Second time, the Leader would win with the Cylons and with 3 or less impacts in the Galactica. He succeeded, and the game didn´t last even half of what our other games did.
What is your experience? Do you find too easy being a revealed Cylon from the beginning? It´s my only disappointment with this game. I always prefer not being a Cylon because I don´t find it challenging... shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K K
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No. It depends on how the players are playing. For me, cylons are not good to play if you get brigged when you're found out. Once we brigged both a human and a cylon(just to be safe), and we won the game by a large margin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis E. Hernández

msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But I talk about games where Cylons reveal themselves from the very first turn. You won´t problably have time to brig them in those cases... Isn´t then too easy for them to win?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick S.
United States
Laguna Niguel
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This has only happened a couple times when we've played, but my experience is that it doesn't make it very easy.

If you are the only cylon and you reveal from the get go, then that lets the humans know they can trust everyone. Then the XO get used constantly and things get done quicker.

Plus, you are limited in the extent of how you can interfere with crisis checks, which makes it easier for the humans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis E. Hernández

msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess every game can be different depending on a lot of factors: if there is a Cylon Leader and which side he supports, if there is a revealed or unrevealed cylon early in the game or later, etc, etc, but I still think revealed cylons can be very harmful.... devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack S.
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmb
In my experience revealing without doing any serious damage first puts you in a worse position. The revealed cylon is extremely limited in how much they can affect crises, not to mention their ability to argue for questionable ideas and throw suspicion on other players.

Many of the reveal abilities are weak enough that it's no big loss to miss them due to brigging, plus even the act of brigging wastes a human action and the cards to do it. Better to use a OPG to do something horrible or sink a key crisis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Laporte
France
Limeil-Brevannes
Val de Marne
flag msg tools
Also remember that with no unrevealed Cylons, the humans can go XO-crazy, which almost double their actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Cherry
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
This is, of course, anecdotal, but in my experience cylons tend to win more frequently when they are revealed as late as possible (at least post sleeper) since they have a lot more freedom to influence the human player's decisions. Spiking skill checks and messing around on cylon location is helpful and all, but as people are mentioning, there is a ton of value in forcing all of the humans to play more conservatively given the risk of there being a cylon. My limited experience with Pegasus seems to indicate that the cost is often morale (and cards) spent executing until the cylon is discovered...but a cylon reveal on the first turn (assuming there is only 1 cylon) means that the humans don't even have to execute the admiral, so you've netted them at least 1 morale and probably 7ish skill cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hultgren
Sweden
flag msg tools
You can do alot more harm as an unrevealed Cylon as them not being sure who is the Cylon makes it alot more difficult with skill checks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've had two 4-player Pegasus games so far:
- One with a CL. The hidden cylon was a cylon from the beginning of the game. She stayed hidden until almost the end of the game. The humans won. She would have had us, but we got a really lucky destination card pull. The CL was pro human all the way.
- One with a sympathetic cylon and no CL. The hidden cylon was dealt in the sleeper phase. The admiral and I quickly deduced the cylon based on a sabotaged skill check. It took three turns, but we executed him. We barely won by FTL jumping the fleet with only 2 population left.

Both games will really close, but both were human wins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Basar Cenik
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gameluis wrote:
But I talk about games where Cylons reveal themselves from the very first turn. You won´t problably have time to brig them in those cases... Isn´t then too easy for them to win?

Your group may not have found out the best strategies for humans. For example, are you guys XOing humans sitting on the press room to draw 4 extra cards? (This tactic changed our games a lot!) In our games (>25 sessions), it's almost 50/50 human/cylon wins.

More cylons from the beginning = more difficult for humans; regardless of whether you reveal or not. In a 5 player game, if there are no cylons from the beginning, cylons rarely win in our group.

Revealing early IS a good cylon tactic, especially with the new cylon resurrection ship allowing you to draw additional super crises. When I get the cylon card from the beginning, I make sure I use my OPG ability to hurt the humans asap, or spike an important skill check asap then reveal early, almost always before the second jump.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.